Printer recommendations?

RedFox

Reaction score
I'd like a printer for a project that should involve printing a lot of black lines. The stuff I'd print out would look like the patterns to fold into the shapes shown here.

I already have programs to make such shapes, including complex ones like this, which is made of the two mirror images of this. Those pictures were made in the same program I am using. :D

Many such shapes will need small pieces due to their intersecting faces cutting each other into little pieces, so should I get a printer with high dpi? This one would need to be about a meter across to make the smallest pieces be several millimeters across. Most of the models should be a lot smaller.

The program I use is for Windows, but it'd be nice if the printer worked in Linux too. I found some printer lines that have Linux drivers made for them.

I should be printing black lines onto different colors of paper or painting the paper, so should a black laser printer be good?

I would go with laser printer for sure. Few of them are good. Just gotta do research for what would do best job for you. There is two that I would suggest you check into, Samsung and Okidata. Both makes good printers.

I was doing investigations and found that showing the shortest edges created by the intersecting faces of this would need it to be around a meter across to get the shortest edges to be half a meter long if I fit the pieces onto legal size paper. I looked at how big a millimeter is on a ruler and it looks like it should be possible to cut such edges properly out of paper if I'm careful and get magnifying lenses for the craft table I use.

I figured that if the printer prints at 1200 dpi, that'd be around 47 dots per millimeters, or around 24 dots for those half millimeter edges.

It's good to have just one color of toner here because with more than one color of ink or toner, high dpi gets used up by printing more than one dot of more than one color to represent a pixel. That's what the line art mode is for. In that mode, pixel size and ink dot size are the same due to only black being used. The size of the ink or toner dot would be good to know.

Back