Price of CI

jazzy

Reaction score
Wonder what is the price in different area here in USA and rest of the world. Recently my friend just got CI and his insurance paid 81,000 dollars for it. It went up from 50 thousand dollars from few years ago.
Is it getting expensive don't you think?

i agree with ya.. mine cost nearly $111,000 :eek: just got mine last april 2005
and saddly my insurance policy only agree to pay $60,000 :squint:

because my place is using the Highest tech possible in everything.. the implant(freedom), montering, and all the HIGH TECH at the hosiptal doing the surgery.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

because my place is using the Highest tech possible in everything.. the implant(freedom), montering, and all the HIGH TECH at the hosiptal doing the surgery.

Ouch, how do u pay rest of it? making payment? My friend may pay only 5 thousand dollars for co-pay.

Hope u don't pay rest of it. Thank for let us know. Just curious about the price now compare to before.

jazzy said:
Ouch, how do u pay rest of it? making payment? My friend may pay only 5 thousand dollars for co-pay.

Hope u don't pay rest of it. Thank for let us know. Just curious about the price now compare to before.
its still pending, however i'm also qualtify for a discount from the hosiptal which is 80% that i struggle to get.. because i basically knew the insurance policy is that they're only willing to pay the max price of $60,000 and i knew the total cost for the surgery, follow-up and so on.. and i fight to get information on how to get a discount, funds, and so on.. and they directed me to accounting center and i had to fill forms my income, etc.. and i'm qualitfy for 80% discount on anything i do there.. that's what is helping me so my predict that i'll be paying little over $4,000. however for the mappings i only pay $26 and insurance pays the rest :-D

i also believe CI back in 80's are costing $35,000 seems like all prices are going up such as house, car, etc..

as the first child in the state of nevada to get a cochlear implant (age 6), with the nucleus 22, it cost around 50,000 dollars. this was in 1990

the lions club paid for it.

Hey I wonder if with the price soaring, that insurance companies will be a lot less eager to cover it? I think a big part of the reason why they initially decided to cover CI was b/c although it is expensive only a limited number of people were eligable for CI.....now it seems like everyone and their brother is eligable!

DeafSCUBA98 said:

Whoa! Was that for two CIs or one? Just curious.

I had mine in March '05 (one CI) for about $50,000 plus and our out of pocket was just under $2000. We came out okay on that one because originally we were saving for a new HA only to go the CI route instead.

Deafdyke - I don't think they will ever stop covering it given what it can do for people (bad outcomes notwithstanding...not that common anyway otherwise they stop the whole business). Probably it will be everybody's out of pocket amount will just get higher.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
its still pending, however i'm also qualtify for a discount from the hosiptal which is 80% that i struggle to get.. because i basically knew the insurance policy is that they're only willing to pay the max price of $60,000 and i knew the total cost for the surgery, follow-up and so on.. and i fight to get information on how to get a discount, funds, and so on.. and they directed me to accounting center and i had to fill forms my income, etc.. and i'm qualitfy for 80% discount on anything i do there.. that's what is helping me so my predict that i'll be paying little over $4,000. however for the mappings i only pay $26 and insurance pays the rest :-D

Hope u just pay four thousand dollars instead of rest it.

sr171soars said:

I had mine in March '05 (one CI) for about $50,000 plus and our out of pocket was just under $2000. We came out okay on that one because originally we were saving for a new HA only to go the CI route instead.

Deafdyke - I don't think they will ever stop covering it given what it can do for people (bad outcomes notwithstanding...not that common anyway otherwise they stop the whole business). Probably it will be everybody's out of pocket amount will just get higher.

50,000? what kind of CI do u have on? my friend has one that look alike HA over ear. I think clarion.

Wonder if nucleus and clarion has different price?

Maybe they will go to singpore for cheaper price just alike everything else.

EVERY Health Insurance companies around Germany cover 100% for their members who want to have CI, not HA. :roll:

Germans have to pay HA and also HA's batteries themselves, not Health Insurance companies because Insurance companies beleive that CI is the best to help deaf people. That's why they are for it.

Germans here are furious because Health Insurance companies CAN pay thousands for CI than hundreds for HA. My hubby & I give up HA at 20 years ago because we can't achieve the cost to re-new HA and also batteries anymore. :(

Health Insurance companies pay EVERYTHING for CI users and also Spa clinic twice a year, too. I mean EVERYTHING

Those condition is unfair because Heath Insurance companies SHOULD respect us if we don't want to have CI.

sr171soars said:

for 1 implant

Wow, Liebling... that makes things miserable for those who want HA. It seems like there are different philosophies from one government or country to another. I don't know what to say, but it is good to know about this. We all have our variety of ups and downs, advantages and disadvantages.

Have you thought of moving to USA with your family?

No, that's not what I meant.....I think perhaps the canidacy criteria might get stricter...the insurance companies won't allow just anyone to get it, unless they have auditory nereopathy or whatever...
Lieb, that SUCKS!!!!

Rickcares said:
Wow, Liebling... that makes things miserable for those who want HA. It seems like there are different philosophies from one government or country to another. I don't know what to say, but it is good to know about this. We all have our variety of ups and downs, advantages and disadvantages.

Have you thought of moving to USA with your family?

Yeah, our system in our different countries alway have cons/pros. It couldn't be prefect...

Oh no, we never thought about live in USA one day. For vacation yes but live? No I prefer to live in Germany with safety environment, also system and freedom :)

jazzy said:
50,000? what kind of CI do u have on? my friend has one that look alike HA over ear. I think clarion.

Wonder if nucleus and clarion has different price?

Maybe they will go to singpore for cheaper price just alike everything else.

I have the Cochlear Freedom...the latest and greatest. They do have the BTE model of which I'm wearing. I don't know why the prices are at such a variance. Could be the state which one gets it...I dunno. I do know that my health insurance, while not the one of the best ones, did do a good job on coverage and controlling my out of pocket costs. I have no complaints but I can see costs can be expensive for others. Shame.

Deafscuba98 - That is an outragious cost! I hope you don't have to pay too much once all said and done.

Deafdyke - Yes, I can see restriction on candidancy being another route to controlling the costs. It is interesting you saying that given how they are lowering the standards at this moment.

I gotta say.....I think that the CI is being overmarketed. Hoispitals are losing money.....probaly eating into the free care pool that other people need....and I mean in Germany they are totally getting feted with all these wonderful extras...and here it's those people who are ALL about CI!

DeafSCUBA98 said:

Does that mean you are going to retire your SCUBA? Not me...

I dont need CI since I only help hearies for their long term security jobs, such as ASL interpreters, relay service operators, creating new technologies (CI, shoot it), education teachers/staff, etc...

Good luck to be a Borg.

I will have plenty of good naps in my late age during my retirement period. No aspirins.

Wish you a good luck to hear new digital sounds.

Here, in Canada, there is free health care, so they cover like 75 percent of the cost. and other 25 percent is either paid by rich people or for those who cant afford it, there is a "welfare group thingi" that pays for it.

Back