Presidential pets for Obama?

Wow, a really different looking dog. Sheds very little for one with so much hair...seems like a fairly large animal, too.
Medium size, smaller than a Lab. They love the water and fetching.

I have had learned the background of Spanish Water dog from my client. He is a lawyer and a trainer for Spanish Water dogs. He is very involved with his own kennel, and the Spanish Water dog Association. He is a die hard fan of the Spanish Water dogs. lol.. He will say anything that Spanish Water dogs are far better than any dog. He said that they're very versatile and intelligent breed. He even went to Spain to pay $5,000 to buy a Spanish Water dog.

I have had learned the background of Spanish Water dog from my client. He is a lawyer and a trainer for Spanish Water dogs. He is very involved with his own kennel, and the Spanish Water dog Association. He is a die hard fan of the Spanish Water dogs. lol.. He will say anything that Spanish Water dogs are far better than any dog. He said that they're very versatile and intelligent breed. He even went to Spain to pay $5,000 to buy a Spanish Water dog.
I know only the Portuguese Water Dog, and the AKC doesn't list a Spanish Water Dog breed. Are they the same breed or different?

Portuguese Water Spaniel and Irish Water Spaniel are both Poodle derivative. Poodle would be easier to find from shelters.

I know only the Portuguese Water Dog, and the AKC doesn't list a Spanish Water Dog breed. Are they the same breed or different?

AKC does recognize it. I do find it curious that it's not listed in its listing... From my little research - this breed is considered a "Sporting" group and it is recognized by FCI, NKC, APRI, ACR, UKC and AKC/FSS, SWDAA.

EDIT: I just did some more digging. in AKC's site - click on COMPLETE LIST OF BREEDS. It is listed under Foundation Stock Service Breeds (FSS)

Foundation Stock Service® Breeds

The Foundation Stock Service® (FSS®) was created by the American Kennel Club to answer the needs of today’s rare breed fanciers. The Foundation Stock Service is an optional record keeping service for all purebred breeds not currently registrable with the American Kennel Club.

You can follow the links below for contact information (note: we do not have contacts for every breed).

:-o

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb7saoGm-zM]YouTube - Dog hunting the water[/ame]

I was just discussing AKC/Spanish Water dog thing with my client. According to him, "They really haven't been recognized by AKC, other than that they are being accepted into the AKC/FSS registration program, but not full registration recognition yet. They are UKC recognzed."

Oh,well.

I was just discussing AKC/Spanish Water dog thing with my client. According to him, "They really haven't been recognized by AKC, other than that they are being accepted into the AKC/FSS registration program, but not full registration recognition yet. They are UKC recognzed."

Oh,well.
OK, that makes sense.
I need to read more about them but the description of their herding sounds different from the Porties' water tasks.

A few years ago, after our beloved Labs died, we researched the possibility of getting a Portie. I'm partial to web-footed dogs. :lol:

OK, that makes sense.
I need to read more about them but the description of their herding sounds different from the Porties' water tasks.

A few years ago, after our beloved Labs died, we researched the possibility of getting a Portie. I'm partial to web-footed dogs. :lol:

Wow, and here I'd always thought the Weimararners (sp?) were the only web-footies!

OK, that makes sense.

what did you end up getting?

what did you end up getting?
Nothing. We still had our kitty but eventually he died too. We decided that we just aren't ready for another dog. We visit and sometimes babysit our daughter's Aussie when we want dog time. :) Someday we might get another dog but right now we know that we can't give it the time and attention it needs and deserves.

I thought it should be hairless dog because one of Obama's daughters is an allergic to dog's hair?

I thought it should be hairless dog because one of Obama's daughters is an allergic to dog's hair?

this breed has hypo-allergic fur (single layer fur and/or has human-like hair).... meaning it's good for less-sensitive allergic people because it doesn't shed. People are allergic to dogs which have double layer of fur - the one who sheds a lot. My dog - yorkie does not shed. I prefer hypoallergic breed as well and I dislike shedding :mad2:

see following links for a list of hypo-allergic breeds:
link 1
link 2
link 3
....and many more links. just type "hypoallergenic dogs" in google

It's not just the fur.
Cats and dogs
Allergens from cats and dogs are found in skin cells the animals shed (dander), in saliva and on hairs. Dander is a particular problem because it is very small and can remain airborne for long periods of time with the slightest bit of air circulation. It also collects easily in upholstered furniture and sticks to your clothes.

Pet saliva can stick to carpets, bedding, furniture and clothing. Dried saliva can become airborne.

Some breeds of dogs are considered "hypoallergenic," or less likely to trigger allergies, because they don't shed fur. While the absence of shed fur may reduce exposure to dog allergens, a person allergic to dogs would still be allergic to nonshedding breeds.
Pet allergy: All - MayoClinic.com

bo1_blog.jpg

Bo looks that cute in Hawaiian lei.

The White House - Blog Post - Meet Bo, the First Dog

His coat does reminds me of both Prez Clinton's cat "Socks" and a penguin :)

Back