Prepare for the next hurricane

Very interesting thread here.

Here:

http://utut.essortment.com/hurricaneprot_ouu.htm

Hurricanes and other major tropical weather disturbances, hitting the eastern coastal areas of the American continent in the months of June to November, can totally demolish homes and wreak havoc on the lives of thousands of residents.

What should you as a homeowner do to minimize the damage caused by hurricanes, torrential rains, forceful winds, and storm surges to your home and property?

1. Make sure your property is covered by adequate insurance against damage by floods and high winds. Some insurance policies do not cover these eventualities.

2. Teach all the members of the family how and when to call 911, the police, or the fire department.

3. Be sure all the members of the household know how and when to shut off the electricity, gas, and water.

4. Inspect your home for weak spots in the windows, doors, skylights, and roofing and repair or reinforce long before the hurricane season sets in.

5. Reinforce or protect glass windows with adhesive tape or an adhesive window film that holds shattered glass together.

6. Check the rain gutters and downspouts and be sure they are not clogged.

7. Purchase hurricane shutters, storm panels, or sheets of plywood, to protect windows and doors. If using plywood, pre-cut them to fit, and pre-drill holes for quick installation.

8. Trim nearby trees and tall shrubs so that weak or dead branches don't lean or fall onto the house.

9. Bring in or securely anchor outdoor furniture, toys, and tools.

10. If flooding is imminent or expected, elevate furniture or move them to a higher floor.

11. Find a safe place to park your vehicles during an emergency. Be sure all vehicles are fueled up in case there will be power failure and gas stations become unavailable.

12. Tie down trailers and boats securely to the ground or to the house.

13. Remove and secure or shelter all outside antennas and satellite dishes.

14. If an evacuation is ordered, unplug all appliances, turn off the electricity, water, and gas, and lock up and leave.

14. If an evacuation is ordered, unplug all appliances, turn off the electricity, water, and gas, and lock up and leave.

Yes, it´s very important. I often do that when severe thunderstrom warning comes. It was happened to us last year. We have special protection against thunderstrom, etc. Yes, I know it´s not 100% protection but it´s still can reduce any damages. All what I only have is damage freezer and garage wall lamp last year and also damage only one fax machine in 1997. Like what I said it´s not 100% protection but it´s still better than nothing.

1. Make sure your property is covered by adequate insurance against damage by floods and high winds. Some insurance policies do not cover these eventualities.

Yes, it´s very very important, that´s why I have everything to be safety.

Reba, you made very good point to be safety and protection. Again, you and everyone are my prayer and thought.

We have severe thunderstorm, gailstorm, windstorm, etc. in Europe, that´s why we build our house with large brick with waterproof protection in Germany.

Back