Pregnancy and Lactating.

dreama

Reaction score
I read something on Wilki that said if you are still lactating you won't get pregnant again. I was doing research for the story I am writing as their are plenty of babies in that.

When I tried to do a search for more information I couldn't find any.

Anyway I've been wondering since I heard aboout the 8 year old who was still breastfeeding and I heard she had other brothers and sisters who were breastfeeding from her too. I don't really know to be exact since I'm deafblind and didn't watch the video.

However, since then I've been wondering wether what I read on Wiki was true?

Has anyone got pregnant again whilst breastfeeding their first baby?

It is not entirely true.

I didn't get pregnant while I was breastfeeding. However, I've known of several friends of mine who got pregnant while they were breastfeeding.

A lot of people think that you can't get pregnant while you breastfeed. It isn't always the case.

Will breastfeeding keep me from getting pregnant?

When you breastfeed, your ovaries can stop releasing eggs, making it harder for you to get pregnant. Your periods can also stop. But, there are no guarantees that you will not get pregnant while you are nursing. The only way to make sure pregnancy does not occur is to use a method of birth control. If you want to use a birth control pill while breastfeeding, the safest type is the "mini-pill." However, talk with your doctor or nurse about what birth control method is best for you to use while breastfeeding.

Questions and Answers about Breastfeeding

Thanks very much for answering my question Faire Jour and Frisky feline

I wonder if this was my mother's form of contraception... My brother and I are only 18 months apart. :giggle:

I read something on Wilki that said if you are still lactating you won't get pregnant again. I was doing research for the story I am writing as their are plenty of babies in that.

When I tried to do a search for more information I couldn't find any.

Anyway I've been wondering since I heard aboout the 8 year old who was still breastfeeding and I heard she had other brothers and sisters who were breastfeeding from her too. I don't really know to be exact since I'm deafblind and didn't watch the video.

However, since then I've been wondering wether what I read on Wiki was true?

Has anyone got pregnant again whilst breastfeeding their first baby?

Good reason not to put faith in Wiki, and to use reliable medical sites for medical information.

You can get pregnant while breastfeeding. Dr's will tell you to stop breastfeeding while you are pregnant due to in can cause your uterus to constrict and contract.

I did, I got pregnant with my youngest when my oldest was 15 months old. But, I didn't get pregnant until after I've had my 1st period back when my oldest was 11 months, missed it when she was 12 months, then got it again when she was 13 months, missed it at 14 months and that's when I unknowingly got pregnant & found out when she was 15 months old. :) Then, with my youngest, I never got pregnant again, not even while breastfeeding her, even after I got my period back when she was 11 months, just like with my oldest. In fact, I hadn't gotten pregnant again until both girls were about to turn 8 and 6. I found out Christmas eve/day that I am finally expecting baby #3, due Sept 1st! :)

Has anyone got pregnant again whilst breastfeeding their first baby?[/QUOTE]

It's not the case for everyone. I continued breastfeeding my oldest when I found out I got pregnant when she was 15 months old. My Dr. knew I was still bf'ing and said it was fine, since it wasn't often at all. She was the one who cut wayyyy down and then self-weaned when I saw the faces she made after she'd try to bf, and I knew right then and there that my milk had changed & was preparing for the new baby, which was perfect cuz I had wanted to have a few months break before nursing my youngest. :)

You can get pregnant while breastfeeding. Dr's will tell you to stop breastfeeding while you are pregnant due to in can cause your uterus to constrict and contract.

It's not the case for everyone. I continued breastfeeding my oldest when I found out I got pregnant when she was 15 months old. My Dr. knew I was still bf'ing and said it was fine, since it wasn't often at all. She was the one who cut wayyyy down and then self-weaned when I saw the faces she made after she'd try to bf, and I knew right then and there that my milk had changed & was preparing for the new baby, which was perfect cuz I had wanted to have a few months break before nursing my youngest. :)

I guess it depends on the individual. But breast feed does cause the uterus to contract. Depends on the Doctors and the lactating mother.

I knew that but was told that it was more of a concern for those that are high risk and had gone in pre-term labor & stuff with previous pregnancies, also a concern for those that are in their last trimester, as it is best to stay pregnant until you're full term, which is from week 37+. I knew I'd be on the safe side since I had delivered my oldest right at 42 wks! Yes, my oldest was really 14 days late! And my youngest was 9 days late too! We had hoped she'd be 14 days late due to insurance as my husband lost his job when I was 4-5 mos along but found a new job, which he is still employed by on my birthday, Dec 1st and new insurance wouldn't kick in til Feb 1st. So, had my youngest waited and be 14 days late like her sister, insurance would pay the full amount for her birth & our hospitalization stay. But she was born on Superbowl Sunday Jan 26th, 2003 so we ended up with the bill. She's worth every cent though! :)

Sorry I went a lil off topic. :)

I guess it depends on the individual. But breast feed does cause the uterus to contract. Depends on the Doctors and the lactating mother.

Back