Prefered communication method?

What are your communication methods in order of preferance?

• ASL/*SL, Written english. (no speech or lip reading)

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • written English, ASL/*SL. (no speech or lip reading)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • ASL/*SL, written English, cued speech

• ASL/*SL, written English, speech and lipreading

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • written english, ASL/*SL, speech

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • speech, ASL/*SL, written english

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Written english, Alphabet based system, other

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Written English, Speech, some signs.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Written English, SEE or alternative signing system, speech

• Written english, Speech (no sign language)

• SEE or alternative signed system, written english, Speech.

• ASL/*SL, Alternative sign system, written English, Speech

• Speech, written english, (no sign language)

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Other combination not listed. (please state)

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
SEE

Written English

Speech

Lip-read

ASL

Other:
ASL, PSE/SEE, Written English, Lipreading (not speech)

Last edited:
I voted: ASL/*SL, written English, speech and lipreading

I use British Sign language with speak (lip movement and lipreading) on the same time when I am in England as the same as I use German Sign language with speak (lip movement and lipreading) when I am here in Germany.

I understand ASL quite good but not 100%. It's good if I follow their ASL with speak (lip movement and lipreading). Without their lip movement, I would never follow their ASL. It does the same with BSL and GSL as well.

I use German language all the time everyday when I chat with my German co-workers, friends and family. I chat with American co-workers time to time because they go and come for years. I have the problem to confuse English language with German languages sometimes. Anyway, I don't care either I am good English writer or not but I have a good intelligence. ;)

I voted speech, written English and some signs.

I'm hearing, so I primary use speech and written English. However, I know a little bit of sign language as well.

Off-topic...

I just tried putting nopq62's post in a Japanese to English translator, but it wouldn't work.

I guarantee you it's not Japanese, or I'd be able to read it. If somebody knows what vpn123.com is, it might give us a clue. I don't dare go there to find out.

I tried Chinese and it said I had too many characters so I gave up.

Hmmm. So are his posts written in Chinese or Japanese? :confused: While there is such as thing as Japanese Braille, what I read on my Braille display was 100% jibberish.

I like to keep my post count up, but will bow to majority rule!:P

I prefer to speak for myself, but receptive language I prefer ASL/PSE -> speech reading -> written English. My hands are partially paralyzed so it's hard for people I just meet to understand my signs, especially my fingerspelling.

I was raised orally, but knew sign language...just didn't use it that "much" until I went to the deaf school at 11 yrs old. Man!! Did I learn how to shut the ORAL up fast!!

I learned MORE ASL sign language at the deaf school and learned how to communicate with students on different language/skill levels. I also learned "deafhoodism" and I became proud of the fact that I am D E A F!!

Met my wife (then high school sweetheart). She was 100% pure SEE and used CUED speech just for learning how to talk orally but not socially. We both taught each other the opposite language (I taught her ASL...she taught me SEE).

I am also proud of the fact that I can read and understand people who communicate by ASL/PSE/SEE and I am also hearing impaired (but call myself deaf), so I hear quite well and speak spoken english quite well too. Lip reading is an ART that has to be acquired. I've gotten pretty good at lip reading throughout my life to a point where my HA was broken for a couple of months and my job requires vocal communication among my colleagues. Didnt have THAT much of a problem lip reading.

If you were to ask me my MOST preferred method of communicating, I would have to say ASL but at the same time keep an open mind for respect of others.

once i learn enough asl i will probably change my preference but for now...

English (spoken and written)
ASL (little bit)

ASL

PSE

SEE

Written English

Speech-little a bit. For my hearing family and friends and others

Lipreading- little a bit. For my hearing family and friends and others

Back