Preakness Jockey Desormeaux Rides for Deaf Son

Drew's Dad

Reaction score
I know a lot of people who have Usher's. My former boss has it and he is completely blind and deaf but walks in the mean streets of DC daily to go to work and he runs the center where I worked at before I got my teaching job. I have lots of respect for him. There is nothing pathetic about his life..yes, he misses out on social conversations but he has a group of wonderful friends who interpret everything for him.

That's great to hear, Shel. I hope Jake's family learns about people like your boss.

Yea..my husband's ex fiancee has Usher's. She would use it as a excuse to gain sympathy especially when she would get drunk all the time. When they were together, we had a circle of friends and we tried to give her the support she needed by being there for her and helping her but she became too dependent on us. Eventually, she lost all of us as friends.

Anyways, I hope the family doesnt look at it as tragic and teach him how to be independent and not so depressed cuz they can lead full lives. Sure, it will be hard but up to the person on how hard they want to make it on themselves. I cant say I know what it is like cuz I dont have Usher's but in a small way, I can relate cuz I dont see my deafness as something tragic.

Shel,

If I'm thinking about the same person, I might know your boss and may have spoken to him via TeleBraille several years ago. (As you may know, the deafblind community is very small and because of that, many of us -- the deafblind -- know one another especially through organizations like AADB) What an inspiration to myself and others! :)

I used to know someone here in my city who was completely deafblind and traveled independently. He rode the city bus, crossed intersections (with sighted assistance by using a card which requested that pedestrians tap him on the shoulder and place his hand just above their elbow in the sighted guide position) and never let his deafblindness get in the way of his goals and persuits. After I was told about this individual at my local deafblind center, I thought to myself, "If he can do it, so can I." At the time I had severe-profound hearing loss and was learning tactile sign, TeleBraille (Braille TTY) and Teletouch (a communication device for the deafblind).

I'm so thankful I was told about this person because after learning about him, I no longer had any fears about losing all of my hearing.

To bring this post back on topic, the first person I knew who had Usher's was a woman I met while in a blindness vocational rehabilitation program. She was totally blind and had profound hearing loss. This woman never let her disabilities get in her way and she had a wonderful sense of humor when it came to her blindness and hearing loss. :)

Deafblindness isn't the end of the world. While Jake will have to learn how to do things differently, that does not mean he can't enjoy life to the fullest. Like you Shel, I hope Jake's parents teach him how to live as a happy, curious and independent person.

HearAgain..that is great! It is nice to meet people who are able to poke fun at themselves.

Maybe u do know who my former boss is. A man in his 60s, right?

Back