Pre/Post CI Surgery Tips

I was advised against flying for at least 6 weeks post op, it's due to the air pressure, risk of infection that kind of thing. I had flown first time fornight ago 3 months after the operation and it was fine.

As for driving i was well enough to drive short distances 4 days post op. It depends on individuals, I didn't get any dizzness, sick after my op so i guess i was okay to drive when i was ready. People who were affected by the operation should avoid driving until they feel normal. OK.

I did get stiff neck/jaw for few days hence sugary puddings as it's easier to eat and to help to improve the strength, also overall mood with sugar fix, :naughty: . There is alternatives jelly i believe or veggie puddings. Other foods that is already pre-made prior to Operation, belive me you don't want to cook soon after the op.
I love vegatable lasagna, this can be made and frozen.

Driving 4 days post op? Wow! I was so dizzy and sick I could barely get off the couch after 4 days. 12 days post op and the dizziness just finally went away. So yes, everyone's different, it's a good idea to prepare for the worst, so in other words, stock up before surgery. Also great advice about prepared foods, pudding, etc. I would've starved!

oh and here's another snag. I haven't had the meningitis shot yet, my doc told me to wait 2 weeks after surgery. So I called my other doc for an appointment and they tell me they can't do it, only the health department can. So I call the health department and they said it costs $100 (not covered by insurance) and that I'm too old, they don't give it to people over 18.
I'm going to call my insurance of course, but is it absolutely necessary that I have this vaccine? Or is it mostly a precaution for children?

Sunryze, I think you are never too old for menigitis jabs if you are an CI user and the risk of menigitis is higher. I am 30 and i had one before my CI operation. In UK the nurse does the jabs not the doctor. OK

Yes, the meningitis vaccination is a requirement of CI surgery. Sunryze, if I were you, I'd have the vaccination just to be on the safe side. I don't mean to frighten you, but meningitis is a life-threatening illness which is why it's important for all CI candidates to be vaccinated. I was in my 20s when I received my meningitis shot. All it involves is a slight poke -- nothing painful at all.

Thank you for showing me the link. This might be also good for camping or other reasons :).

I hope all goes well with your CI surgery and success! :)

Wow..that shows where my brain has been..I am sorry for not doing this before but thank you ClearSky.

oh and here's another snag. I haven't had the meningitis shot yet, my doc told me to wait 2 weeks after surgery. So I called my other doc for an appointment and they tell me they can't do it, only the health department can. So I call the health department and they said it costs $100 (not covered by insurance) and that I'm too old, they don't give it to people over 18.
I'm going to call my insurance of course, but is it absolutely necessary that I have this vaccine? Or is it mostly a precaution for children?

Whoever told you that was wrong (about the age thing). Did you have your doctor write a prescription for it? That is what mine did. It is true I went to a military base to get the shot, but, from what I understand, if you have the prescription, you can have it filled and take it to your doctor to have him/her inject you. It is a necessary injection and your insurance should cover it under the circumstances. If not, I would appeal.

Why those pudding, jello and those foods? Sounds like it'd be difficult to eat? I am almighty curious.... :hmm: Cuz I am vegetarian for 17 years. (Some pudding and jello have gletation, I cannot eat them) I am sure I can find something to eat.

One of the possible side effects is a sore throat. Pudding and Jello, as well as mashed potatoes, are easier to swallow.

I am kind of overwhelmed on Etalton's preparation for the surgery. This thread got me so excited and popped hundred of questions. I have to retain my questions. :lol: By the way, Good luck, Etalton! :yesway::yesway:

I always try to think one step ahead. I even wrote out a will, power of attorney and living will, just in case. I know, it is outpatient surgery, but...hope for the best, plan for the worst...or, better to be safe than sorry.

I am looking forward to hear Etalton's experiences after surgery.

Thanks, not sure if I am into blogs, but I will keep the forum posted.

I hope that answered the remaining questions Endy

Whoever told you that was wrong (about the age thing). Did you have your doctor write a prescription for it? That is what mine did. It is true I went to a military base to get the shot, but, from what I understand, if you have the prescription, you can have it filled and take it to your doctor to have him/her inject you. It is a necessary injection and your insurance should cover it under the circumstances. If not, I would appeal.

Etalton is correct. However, in my case, I did not need a prescription for a meningitis shot. I simply asked my doctor for it. The only caveat was that I had to wait a week for the clinic to order the vaccine from the health department.

Activation dates vary from one CI audi to another. Some CI audis activate days following surgery (I know of one CI user who was activated 24 hours after her surgery) while others require a wait of 4 weeks in order to allow the scar to fully heal.
Also, since there are three brands of implants, some are more invasive than others. It all comes down to what your surgeon/CI team deems best for you.
In my case, mine won't hear of activation before 4 to 6 weeks. They have done all three brands and find that timeline the best for their patients.
There is supposed to be a new implant coming out next year that is activated the same day it is implanted, and the patient is awake during the implantation to ensure proper placement. Not for me, thank goodness, as I would prefer to sleep through it all.:P

Also, since there are three brands of implants, some are more invasive than others. It all comes down to what your surgeon/CI team deems best for you.
In my case, mine won't hear of activation before 4 to 6 weeks. They have done all three brands and find that timeline the best for their patients.
There is supposed to be a new implant coming out next year that is activated the same day it is implanted, and the patient is awake during the implantation to ensure proper placement. Not for me, thank goodness, as I would prefer to sleep through it all.:P

Wow, Etalton. Do you have any more information about the new CI and what company (AB, Med-El or Cochlear) will be making it?

And I agree...it wouldn't be for me either. The idea of being awake for surgery makes me extremely nervous.

Wow, Etalton. Do you have any more information about the new CI and what company (AB, Med-El or Cochlear) will be making it?

And I agree...it wouldn't be for me either. The idea of being awake for surgery makes me extremely nervous.

Me neither, rather be knocked out!

that is point get help you information to share cooperate. I understand I wish be interest to good point

Oh, this is frustrating. I remember reading about it but can't for the life of me remember where. I will do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Do you have any offer me?? I'm wearing a glasses. The left arm hang on my ear. It's still hurt. I went to doctor appointment for Post-Operative today. The nurse pulled the staples out. It was little hurt. I felt like a bee string. My skin is stretch and back to flat again. It's hurt when I am wear a glasses. I am consider to add foam to comfort for a little while until my skin get heal. My circle ear area is still sore.

Pinky,

You could try applying moleskin wherever you are experiencing discomfort.

hey pinky..what I did was to switch glasses..went to absolutely weightless glasses...theyre very flexible etc..I don't wear my tortoiseshell anymore..

It is my understanding that it is a new surgery method using a computer program and anchor positions so that the surgeon can guide the drill exactly to the site without excavating a large section of bone to avoid hitting the critical facial nerve. they are not talking about the implant itself. If this works it can reduce the time spend in the operating room which currently runs about $300 a minute! Time spend in the operating room is a big part of expense of the cochlear surgery and if this method works it can reduce the costs quite a bit.
Here is a web page that explains the drill jig.
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=7329

For even more detail this
http://eecs.vanderbilt.edu/people/m...2008_Labadie_Laryngoscope_PCI_preliminary.pdf

New, less-invasive approach eases cochlear implant surgery

A link on the new implant procedure, but it does not say a company.

Back