Pre/Post CI Surgery Tips

Dry Shampoo? You know that there's a likelyhood that you could have dried blood that needs to be washed from your unshaven hair? What's dry shampoo like? Is it a powder? I don't know how that's going to help other than soak up oily head.

Anyone else used dry shampoo?

I think you are set. I know it gets a little nerve-wracking, but you're okay.

If you're staying overnight, take a pajamas just in case.

Eat normal. Chicken soup. Half a sandwich. Unless you were instructed to do otherwise, then don't listen to me.

Ok..something else to add to my list... :P pajamas. I live in mine at home, so needless to say, they are not fit for public viewing. I got a spray type of shampoo and my understanding from reading was you spray it in, and then dry it with a towel. I am hoping that works, if not, will send the hubby looking for something better like what Hear Again suggested.
As far as eating is concerned, my problem is being on a lo-so diet. I have to watch my mg's of sodium and my day can't go over 2000mg. Sounds like a lot till you think a slice of pizza can blow the whole day.
Thanks for the input....

On a roll..found no rinse shampoo, conditioner and body wipes all at a good price at drugstore.com. Found pajamas I can live with at jcp with matching slippers for only .88 when bought together. Good deal. Almost there in prep.
Thanks guys!

Etalton,

Does your pajama top have buttons down the front? If not, I would suggest wearing a button down shirt since it will be difficult to pull an ordinary T-shirt over your head because of the bandage.

Yes, it does Hear Again. Had to use the zoom option to double check, but has buttons all the way down the front.

HearAgain,
I see. I didn't know about the no-rinse shampoo. It sounds more interesting than the powder or spray.

Ealton,
I just thought of something else for your food supply. How about nutrition drinks? They got different flavors and nutrients. May not be high in sodium.

Thank you for showing me the link. This might be also good for camping or other reasons :).

I hope all goes well with your CI surgery and success! :)

Etalton,

Does your pajama top have buttons down the front? If not, I would suggest wearing a button down shirt since it will be difficult to pull an ordinary T-shirt over your head because of the bandage.

.. or a zip up hoodie works well, that's what i wore

Another great idea..I think I have a few of them somewhere in the house. Thanks...

I have a Medic Alert bracelet for the very same reasons you mentioned above. I feel safer knowing that if I'm in an emergency situation and am unable to communicate, medical personnel will know that I'm deaf, blind and have bilateral CIs.

Fascinating... can you guys elaborate the necessary of Medic Alert bracelet besides the emergency situation, MRI and communication purposes.

they don't allow you to drive a week after the surgery.

because the doctors were against flying so soon after the surgery.

:shock: Please explain the reasons not allowing driving and flying. I am kind of drowning in this post. One says this, one says that, one says another. I need this for clarification. And why not?

Etalton, It sounds like you're ready to go! :)

If you don't like pudding or jello, you might want to try ice cream, frozen enchiladas or burritos, lasagna, spaghetti, bananas or instant mashed potatoes.

Why those pudding, jello and those foods? Sounds like it'd be difficult to eat? I am almighty curious.... :hmm: Cuz I am vegetarian for 17 years. (Some pudding and jello have gletation, I cannot eat them) I am sure I can find something to eat.

I am kind of overwhelmed on Etalton's preparation for the surgery. This thread got me so excited and popped hundred of questions. I have to retain my questions. :lol: By the way, Good luck, Etalton! :yesway::yesway:

I am looking forward to hear Etalton's experiences after surgery.

Many thanks... this list just answered my FEW questions. Wow, what a richer resource!

Many thanks... this list just answered my FEW questions. Wow, what a richer resource!

I know... sorry. I don't have any experience nor reliable knowledge with CI so can't help you there. :cool2:

Endy,

I have a Medic Alert bracelet that I've had for the past 4 years. Mine reads "Bilateral cochlear implants, deaf, blind and no MRI." I wear mine 24/7 and feel so much more secure having it on. By the way, the customer service for Medic Alert is excellent. Another thing I like about Medic Alert is the fact that you can update your contact information once a year for no charge and you can do this online at their website.

I figured I'd post this here since it's about surgery. I had surgery 11 days ago. I'm scheduled for activation on Thursday.. The problem is my head is still lumpy. I can't see how the implant is going to stay there, it's like a mountain, haha. It's still a little sore but not painful really. Can someone tell me if this is normal??

I figured I'd post this here since it's about surgery. I had surgery 11 days ago. I'm scheduled for activation on Thursday.. The problem is my head is still lumpy. I can't see how the implant is going to stay there, it's like a mountain, haha. It's still a little sore but not painful really. Can someone tell me if this is normal??

Hmm, Okay... I am intriguing on the timeline between Implantion and Activation. I noticed most of CI users got their acitivation one month after the implantion.

Just like Sunryze, the surgery was 11 days ago and this coming Thursday, it'll be be activated.

Can anyone tell the difference between two weeks and a month to activate?

Hey Sunryze, how did you start thinking about it, how did you feel right before the surgery and the after surgery? How's the whole support for you? I am open to hear your experiences. I am excited for you, Sunryze.

I'd like to hear from others responding to Sunryze's post whether it is normal? I am so curious!!!! (hee hee)

Sunryze,

What you're experiencing is normal. It's not unusual for a person to be able to feel their CI protrude a little bit. I've had my first CI for the past 4 years and I can still feel the small "bump" where my CI is located. As for the magnet, it will stay attached to your head. Your audi might have to give you a stronger magnet, but then again, he/she may not. If I remember correctly, magnet strengths come in 1 (weakest strength), 1 1/2, 2, 3, 4, 5 and (I believe -- if it hasn't been discontinued) 6 (strongest strength). I started off with a number 2 magnet, but later switched to a number 1. Hope this helps! Good luck at your activation on Thursday! :)

Hmm, Okay... I am intriguing on the timeline between Implantion and Activation. I noticed most of CI users got their acitivation one month after the implantion.

Just like Sunryze, the surgery was 11 days ago and this coming Thursday, it'll be be activated.

Can anyone tell the difference between two weeks and a month to activate?

Hey Sunryze, how did you start thinking about it, how did you feel right before the surgery and the after surgery? How's the whole support for you? I am open to hear your experiences. I am excited for you, Sunryze.

I'd like to hear from others responding to Sunryze's post whether it is normal? I am so curious!!!! (hee hee)

Activation dates vary from one CI audi to another. Some CI audis activate days following surgery (I know of one CI user who was activated 24 hours after her surgery) while others require a wait of 4 weeks in order to allow the scar to fully heal.

:shock: Please explain the reasons not allowing driving and flying. I am kind of drowning in this post. One says this, one says that, one says another. I need this for clarification. And why not?

Why those pudding, jello and those foods? Sounds like it'd be difficult to eat? I am almighty curious.... :hmm: Cuz I am vegetarian for 17 years. (Some pudding and jello have gletation, I cannot eat them) I am sure I can find something to eat.

I was advised against flying for at least 6 weeks post op, it's due to the air pressure, risk of infection that kind of thing. I had flown first time fornight ago 3 months after the operation and it was fine.

As for driving i was well enough to drive short distances 4 days post op. It depends on individuals, I didn't get any dizzness, sick after my op so i guess i was okay to drive when i was ready. People who were affected by the operation should avoid driving until they feel normal. OK.

I did get stiff neck/jaw for few days hence sugary puddings as it's easier to eat and to help to improve the strength, also overall mood with sugar fix, :naughty: . There is alternatives jelly i believe or veggie puddings. Other foods that is already pre-made prior to Operation, belive me you don't want to cook soon after the op.
I love vegatable lasagna, this can be made and frozen.

Back