Potty Training Help

ashleysmommy

Reaction score
I am in desperate need of some potty training advice. I have not been on in a long time. Ashley is now 5 and is not showing any signs of interest in potty training at all. I have tried just about everything I can think of. She will pick up her potty and move it from room to room and play with it but will not sit on it at all. Any pointers or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ashley's Mommy

They have something that changes color when she pee. It probably make her fascinated.

She may not want to pee in the potty. Some kids do better if they use the big person's toilet.

I wish I could find a toilet seat that makes music when she sits on it. She loves sound and lights. I am willing to try just about anything at this point. Thanks I will look for that to see if she likes that. Thank you.

You can try this too:

" Change the color of the toilet water to blue by using cleaning tablets or food coloring. When he pees in it, he will see the color change to green. "

Make it fun for her. Something like...

"Look, Ashley! A potty chair just for you! Do you want to sit on it?" Let her sit. If she happens to do anything in the potty, praise her wildly and say something like.."Look, Ashley! You made pee pee in the potty for Mommy! What a BIG girl you are!" Make a BIG deal out of it. She may catch on...

I remember you from a few years ago, and, I remember she was always very strong willed and did things in her own time. So, your mileage may vary here. But, I wish you good luck!

She's an absolute cutie pie!

Can you give us a general update on her? I know that she had sensory issues and a few other things when she was younger. Has some of this resolved?

I heard some parents would bribe their kids a little cake and party if they use the potty all by themselves

Oh I just remember reading something. Some kids have a hard time understanding the concept of peeing (urine). A little education about their body like the name of it (like penis) helps. It also help is if you ask them if they need to empty their bladder (you have to teach them what a bladder is).

Make it fun for her. Something like...

"Look, Ashley! A potty chair just for you! Do you want to sit on it?" Let her sit. If she happens to do anything in the potty, praise her wildly and say something like.."Look, Ashley! You made pee pee in the potty for Mommy! What a BIG girl you are!" Make a BIG deal out of it. She may catch on...

I remember you from a few years ago, and, I remember she was always very strong willed and did things in her own time. So, your mileage may vary here. But, I wish you good luck!

She's an absolute cutie pie!

Can you give us a general update on her? I know that she had sensory issues and a few other things when she was younger. Has some of this resolved?

This is great advise!...In my experience, girls are much easier to potty train than boys....(my rememberance of it "mopping the floor several times a day from urine "mis-aims")....

Praise and more praise more than likely will do the trick!....Even saying..."let's go pee-pee", take the potty chair in the bathroom and you both "pee pee"...even "poo poo". .....With boys, it's best to have ur husband, brother, etc.

She's "not trained" at age 5 ????..I also would have a talk with ur child's doctor and get some recommendations from him/her also.

usually the child learns via example. its easier to teach at 2-3 yrs. With my boys they sit on their porta potty in the bathroom, the only place I allow it. It is NOT a toy to play with. I will not allow it to be moved. it must be in the same bathroom all the and same place. I also refuse to let them be in diapers during the day. They need to FEEL the pee all over themselves and I would put them on the potty when they do that. I always take their clothes off in the same bathroom as their potty and point and talk to them that what its for. I usually put them on kids potty when I go and it pretty much at th same time of day 3 times a day. pretty soon, they got the idea. I have no problem with my kids using diapers at night as they learn more control over the day bladder control. over time- they will say I don't want diapers and I don't fight them with it, and it starts all over with potty training but night time urges. If they can show they pee before bed, no drink after dinner, then I let them go the night without diaper. within a couple month of due diligence, it works.
with my daughter, I let her learn with mommy, and I do help during day, night by reminding her.

hope this helps.

She's "not trained" at age 5 ????..I also would have a talk with ur child's doctor and get some recommendations from him/her also.

yeah I was wondering if it been check by the doctor. Some kids have bladder issues Which make it hard to potty train.

Is there a reason why you delayed her potty training until 5 years old? If there is some other problem that hasn't been resolved yet, that might be a hindrance.

Another problem is that some kids don't see a need for using the potty if they are comfortable with using Pull-Ups and other similar products. They are more inclined to use the potty if they actually wet themselves and mess up their real undies and clothing. It can be an inconvenient mess for a while but they usually catch on pretty quick when they learn the alternative.

Another tip is to make her responsible for cleaning up any accidents. No fussing or drama--just hand her the paper towels. (Of course, mom follows up with the disinfectant and real cleaning.)

usually the child learns via example. its easier to teach at 2-3 yrs. With my boys they sit on their porta potty in the bathroom, the only place I allow it. It is NOT a toy to play with. I will not allow it to be moved. it must be in the same bathroom all the and same place. I also refuse to let them be in diapers during the day. They need to FEEL the pee all over themselves and I would put them on the potty when they do that. I always take their clothes off in the same bathroom as their potty and point and talk to them that what its for. I usually put them on kids potty when I go and it pretty much at th same time of day 3 times a day. pretty soon, they got the idea. I have no problem with my kids using diapers at night as they learn more control over the day bladder control. over time- they will say I don't want diapers and I don't fight them with it, and it starts all over with potty training but night time urges. If they can show they pee before bed, no drink after dinner, then I let them go the night without diaper. within a couple month of due diligence, it works.
with my daughter, I let her learn with mommy, and I do help during day, night by reminding her.

hope this helps.

More great advise!....Taking them to the potty several times a day works also.....Patience is the Key!....And absolutely, no drinking fluids after dinner. Some water maybe, but making sure they do potty before bed time!

Radioman....you're an expert!

Is there a reason why you delayed her potty training until 5 years old? If there is some other problem that hasn't been resolved yet, that might be a hindrance.

Another problem is that some kids don't see a need for using the potty if they are comfortable with using Pull-Ups and other similar products. They are more inclined to use the potty if they actually wet themselves and mess up their real undies and clothing. It can be an inconvenient mess for a while but they usually catch on pretty quick when they learn the alternative.

Another tip is to make her responsible for cleaning up any accidents. No fussing or drama--just hand her the paper towels. (Of course, mom follows up with the disinfectant and real cleaning.)

This is great advise!...In my experience, girls are much easier to potty train than boys....(my rememberance of it "mopping the floor several times a day from urine "mis-aims")....

Praise and more praise more than likely will do the trick!....Even saying..."let's go pee-pee", take the potty chair in the bathroom and you both "pee pee"...even "poo poo". .....With boys, it's best to have ur husband, brother, etc.

I'm going to let the Mom elaborate, but, Ashley was born a micro-preemie. She has/had many issues for quite some time. There may have been motor delays or sensory delays that could have thrown her developmental milestones off track. This would include potty training. Oftentimes, children with motor delays or other delays don't PT until the age of four or even later.

hope this helps.

This is VERY good! We're working on the nighttime part right now.

I'm going to let the Mom elaborate, but, Ashley was born a micro-preemie. She has/had many issues for quite some time. There may have been motor delays or sensory delays that could have thrown her developmental milestones off track. This would include potty training. Oftentimes, children with motor delays or other delays don't PT until the age of four or even later.
That's why I asked. :ty:

Thanks for all of the great advice. Yes Ashley was born at 25 weeks and weighed only 15 ounces. She still has many things going on with her. She is developmental delayed and has sensory integration disorder. She is very sensitive to touch and will not tolerate any texture in her mouth (still on puree foods). She has started to copy many sounds and has about 15 word vocabulary. She communicates what she wants by taking my hand and putting it on or near what she wants. Sometimes it is hard to figure out just what she is trying to get across. I always use the word and sign for what it is she is showing me. She has started using the sign for mommy. She will sign mommy and then touch my nose. We have been playing a little game with that to try and teach her her body parts. She is catching on a lot faster to things. She matches colors and knows the sounds of all of the letters of the alphabet. She loves puzzles. The doctors have recently said they are pretty sure she has some form of autism. I was expecting that with a lot of her actions. She loves her implants. She will bring them to me if the batteries need changing or if the sound is not working. She hands it to me and says fix it. LOL She knows where we keep her batteries and she puts things on the counter and takes us to them and again tells us to fix it. I have not delayed her potty training it is taking this long for us to get her interested in any way. She has come a LONG way and I am so proud of my little girl. We have her in a total communication program. We do not know how Ashley will communicate so we want her to have all the tools she needs. She is slowly letting us work with her on signing. I want her to learn speech as well. I am not one of the parents that thinks because my daughter has implants she is fixed or no longer deaf. She is and always will be deaf. So with that said I want her to feel she can do anything she wants and I will be there to support her in every way possible to make sure she has everything she needs. Sorry to ramble. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask. Any please keep the advise coming. I need lots of help with this one.

I like some of these ideas for positive reinforcement to use while training:
Potty Training Rewards | ParentsConnect.com - Parenting Advice, Parent Stories, and More!

The key is making sure she understands the connection of getting the reward with doing what you expect her to do and to be consistent with it! Using the "potty" involves a lot of steps, so if necessary, do some steps at a time. Write down every single step, no matter how small or obvious it is, and determine if she is able to do each step before you can expect her to do all of them at once.

Personally, I wouldn't use the potty chair. If she's physically too small, then you can use the potty lid that you can buy for less than $15 at Wal*Mart where you can place the potty lid directly on the adult size potty lid. Otherwise, use the regular toilet. Even though she is delayed in many areas, it is still important to use age-appropriate materials and objects when teaching her skills. :)

We have her in a total communication program. We do not know how Ashley will communicate so we want her to have all the tools she needs. She is slowly letting us work with her on signing. I want her to learn speech as well.
I remember you from a very long time ago.
Has she been evaluated by someone experianced with Deaf Blind kids? The reason I ask that, is that it can be very hard to tell if a Deaf Blind kid has classic developmental delays vs delays caused by being Deaf Blind.
Have you contacted Perkins School for the Blind? They may have some ideas, as they have a Deaf Blind program on campus. Is there a Deaf Blind program a VSDB?

She has been evaluated. I am in the process of getting a new eval though. She has recently been diagnosed with autism. So now we have a whole new group of things to look at. We will also be having another eye surgery. She has developed cataracts on both eyes. The left is worse than the right. He is going to remove the one on the left and put in an artificial lens. After that heals he will take another look at the right eye and go from there. We have had a pretty busy week. She did say a new word. She now calls the kitty.

Back