Reaction score
Left Ear Surgery on Wednesday 25th October 2000
Left Ear Activation at Cochlear implant centre on November 28th 2000

Last edited:
Surgery (first CI): December 22, 2004
Activation (first CI): January 18, 2005

Surgery (second CI): February 1, 2006
Activation (second CI): March 1, 2006

Yea, I love it I can't beleive it CI is much better then HA.... you can read my blog....will update my blog soon. just start it. can i email you? I dont want to post here. I have some good reason.

I was implanted with the Nucleus Freedom on October 11th, 2006, and activated 5 days later on October 16th, 2006. Most clinics like to wait about 4-6 weeks before activation, but mine typically activates their patients the day after surgery. I opted to wait for a few days because I did not think I would be up for a long public transit bus trip across town the day after surgery as I do not have a car and San Antonio is so huge that it takes a long time just to get anywhere.

I can't imagine being activated the day after surgery. If my audi gave me that option, I'd pass and would rather wait 4 weeks. That being said, I understand Lucia's situation and why she chose to wait 5 days. In my case, I waited 4 weeks for my CI activations. As far as my second CI is concerned, I almost didn't make the activation since I was hospitalized at the time and did not know if I could be released temporarily in order for me to attend the appointment. Fortunately, the hospital had a van which transports patients to outpatient clinics in the area. The hospital I was at was adjacent to my CI center, so it worked out perfectly. Once my activation was finished, I was driven back to the hospital where I continued to stay until I was officially discharged 3 weeks later.

I would have loved to been activated the day after surgery

:giggle

instead of waiting around for 4 weeks

One of the problems with being activated 24 hours after surgery is swelling. I know someone who was activated the day after her surgery and she ended up postponing her activation for an additional 3 weeks because her ear was too tender and swollen to wear her speech processor. That's exactly why I would wait 4 weeks for my activation. I had a very difficult time being patient (before the activation of my first CI), but I passed the time by keeping myself busy with other activities.

Yes for a week I had to stay at home then went back to school

I took the semester off from school for my first CI. For my second CI, I was in the hospital, but was discharged long enough to attend my activation. Following my appointment, I returned to the hospital until I was released 3 weeks later.

First Surgery (CI): March 1991
First Activated: April 1991

Second Surgery (To replant it on my Left ear): July 1994
Second activation: August 1994

I only have CI on my left ear, that's all.

One of the problems with being activated 24 hours after surgery is swelling. I know someone who was activated the day after her surgery and she ended up postponing her activation for an additional 3 weeks because her ear was too tender and swollen to wear her speech processor. That's exactly why I would wait 4 weeks for my activation. I had a very difficult time being patient (before the activation of my first CI), but I passed the time by keeping myself busy with other activities.

Well I had no issues with any swelling even though I was activated only 5 days later.

Well I had no issues with any swelling even though I was activated only 5 days later.

One of the nice things about waiting 5 days before activation is that there is time for the swelling to go down. When you're activated only 24 hours later, there is a great deal more swelling which results in pain and possibly more difficulty adjusting to a new map.

Back