Post office

prettypond

Reaction score
Does anyone work at the post office?

I worked at a small store called Post Options, it's a business center for people to mail out things and pick up mail from the private mailboxes, etc. I sorted and put in mail in the private mailboxes for almost 3 years.

I never worked at Post Office because they have a lousy way to contact them to get an interpreter for the testings. There's not even a phone number or something better than a snail mail address just to request for an interpreter.

I have wondered about working at the Post Office. They pay good money, but it seems that they just hire if there is an opening on their website at usps.com. Go to the website and find if there is an opening. Yes, you'd need to take some tests, but I am not sure what it is.

Thank you, sequoias and Clearsky

Anyone is working at the post office, please share your experience or opinion. Thank you.

I work at Post Office for one year now as rca. I took test two years ago and passed. I checked out online to apply for the test in my area thru PO. They will send u a letter of when and where test is. Then I send it back to them and ask them for interpter. I showed up on the day of test and they had an interpter for me and other deaf. Good luck.

People who works at PO, their wages is very low. dead money!

yes u would need a test to see if u pass the test to be on waiting list for post office. it would take up to maybe 6 or more months or less. it varies on any cities.

prettypond said:
Did you take the test for job at the post office??

Yes I took test and passed, then I looked for opening job on site and applied. I was lucky because my post master knew me and wanted me to work for her at her post office so here I am. She asked me to wait till someone leave and I did. Otherwise I would work different post office in different part of area.

Once u hired, u have to go thru process and take training classes which it can be headache with interpters (PO have to call them alike 3 weeks ahead before training classes).

sequoias said:
I worked at a small store called Post Options, it's a business center for people to mail out things and pick up mail from the private mailboxes, etc. I sorted and put in mail in the private mailboxes for almost 3 years.

I never worked at Post Office because they have a lousy way to contact them to get an interpreter for the testings. There's not even a phone number or something better than a snail mail address just to request for an interpreter.
i had no problem.. they got me interpreter for 2 testings.. one in one town.. i passed the test.. other one in new town comming up.. the interpeter is set and ready.. and they hired right away

when i get the test papers on back of paper says "if you are deaf or hard of hearing and need an interprter please call --- --- ---- " i called and its set already.

i had an interview at first.. i was thinking i don't need an interpreter so i went and have interview.. but the post office manager wants to have an interpreter.. so its reschedule.. the interpreter showed up the next interview.. i turned down the offer because i'm moving less than a year later. however i'm taking a new test in new town hopefully that will work out.

Opal said:
i disagree...

during the interview.. they told me i will be making $16.24 an hour plus mileage for delivering mail. but they pay at the rate of 8 hours and 20 min. if i work 9 hours i still get paid for 8 hours and 20min. however if i work 6 hours i still get paid 8 hours and 20 min.. its almost similar to salary but it counts the days i work instead of salary

prettypond said:
Did you take the test for job at the post office??
took the test... each test is different for what postion u want.. for me i choose RCA (rural carrier associate) that test most of them are easy.. mostly the comparing the address if its same or different, memory test (hardest one), number and mathical (more like a game of logical math) test
and oral test.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
took the test... each test is different for what postion u want.. for me i choose RCA (rural carrier associate) that test most of them are easy.. mostly the comparing the address if its same or different, memory test (hardest one), number and mathical (more like a game of logical math) test
and oral test.

I took test on city carrier years ago and they are no different from rca's test. I scored higher on city carrier than rca, dunno why. good luck with your interview. I am going to work tmw, scary cuz I am not familar with this case, will take me all day to get them all done more hours than normal. I am filling in for other sub.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
and oral test.

Thanks so much for sharing info. I would like to know if there is any manual to read before the test??

Opal said:

that is very wrong, as a former postal worker i was making nearly 20 an hour.

jazzy said:
I took test on city carrier years ago and they are no different from rca's test. I scored higher on city carrier than rca, dunno why. good luck with your interview. I am going to work tmw, scary cuz I am not familar with this case, will take me all day to get them all done more hours than normal. I am filling in for other sub.

Please tell me more about city carrier and rural carrier associate positions. Are they the same job requirements or different??

I wanted to know more. Usually the usps.com website state the job positions available. I think it's not worth applying unless the position is listed on the website, unless you want to apply for when a position shows up. How long before you have to retake tests again? I have a family member who is a postal carrier, and he makes good money. Postal carriers seem to be educated people and clean with their uniforms.

ClearSky said:
I wanted to know more. Usually the usps.com website state the job positions available. I think it's not worth applying unless the position is listed on the website, unless you want to apply for when a position shows up. How long before you have to retake tests again? I have a family member who is a postal carrier, and he makes good money. Postal carriers seem to be educated people and clean with their uniforms.

it has all positions for RCA. but it will take few months until u retake the test again and wait for few months to see if you pass or not to be on their office list that u can be qualify for the job. i hope i helped ??

Back