Post 9/11...It has changed us and how?

coffeeeeman

Reaction score
This thread is inspired by a thread created by Eternity entitled "Something had happened.." and the subsequent response by Banjo where he indicated that 9/11 changed the lives of many. Banjo is right. It has changed the lives of many, not only for those who have lost love ones in this war on terror, this clash of civilizations, but also the impact on the U.S. and it's allies as a society. The impact of the realization that civilians would be considered viable combatants in a "holy war" shattered our illusion of safety and security and tossed us into a finger pointing match that is as hard to follow as the signs in Mexico.

There are obvious changes since 9/11 and some not so obvious. I am curious to hear what people see as changes and how they feel about them.

I live in NYC so my view on changes could be considerably different than say someone from Oregon.

Mike

Last edited:
the major changes since 9/11th is that you can not trust anyone

It was a very strange day for me. I was living with my father for a short time (we were in the process of moving in a new house and it was not ready). I lived an hour away from my high school I attended to so I had to wake up early. That day I decided to ditch school and went right back to sleep. I think it was around 10 in the morning when I woke up to watch tv and I saw the news, and normally I don't watch the news, so I would keep changing channels when the smoke caught my attention. I stopped changing the channel and saw one of the twin towers on fire. I was totally shocked and just felt the goosebumps on my arms, and then all of sudden another plane crashed into second building and it was LIVE, I literally was shocked and speechless. Then the towers started collapsing and I started getting worried because, I'm from NJ and I knew my father was working near NYC, and plus the highways that leads to NYC were completely CLOSED. My mom was at work that time and she thought I was in school I would have problems getting home due to heavy traffic but she was pretty relieved I didn't go to school. I even thought she came to yell at me for not going to school haha. So anyway, I was still worried about my father, there was no way me and my sister could contact him, we wanted to know if he was ok. Later that night, he finally called us and said he was ok, was coming home soon. We were pretty relieved but, we were really shocked, even when I think about it, I stil have goosebump on my arms. I remember exactly when I went out with a friend and we went to Jersey City which was right next to Manhattan and we parked a spot and saw this beautiful view of WTC that summer.

Realizing more than ever than it was say, like 10 or even 20 years ago, any kind of attack CAN happen in our own backyard (on usa soil)...and taking extra precautions more so today....

the change i notice is.. higher security.. I live in minnesota.. if i wanna go to canada and back home from canada its more tighter security than before 9/11 and longer lines waiting to enter USA or Canada.

Airports have national guards keeping an eye.. we take our shoes off, show Driver's lincense 3 times while on way to board into planes.

too many to list :D and yeah steel's right.. can't trust anyone anymore.. that's sucks.. Also, not to mention racist.. but.. a little fear over mulisms....

Yes, 9/11 definitely made a lot of changes in everyone's lives, near and far. It was terrifying seeing those graphic photos of the WTC when it happened on TV -- but felt more of the impact afterwards when I flew into LAX from Australia -- security was up to their eyeballs with guns and the sorts. Had to walk through at least 3 metal detectors at 3 different sites through the airport.
Same went at Dulles Airport in DC when Mum and I flew over to MD to visit with my sister.

And nowadays -- there's so much talk about security and possible terrorism acts happening =- either on TV or when talking with other people in general.

It's getting a bit sticky and dangerous as it could possibly accelerate into worse scenarios. I just hope something will be able to be done to gain and retain peace.

9/11 to this day still devastes me, I for one know one thing, we can't dwell on the past we can make things better for ourselves and our future, my wife moved here from Alabama, i have a job i love, I have new found friends, most of all i have a future! and thats important to me, its not about the guns or the hatred. its how u can move on in life and change for the better you. granted we're still up to our eyeballs in poltics and security time has come to stop pointing fingers and just move on. respect the dead and honor those who are still fighting on a war that should never have happeend!

Yes, That my heart goes out and breaks heart whoever losing their love ones...
I cannot image how much their children really missing out their parent passed away..
I watched the wtc collapsed both of towers.. and caught me turns into goosebumps every minutes.. Really big changing it lot due increase securities and higher securities airport, us border , and canada border and to make improve their security safety to prevent hijhackers, terrioist and others too.
When I watch Oprah Whintey's Show.. talks about 9/11, brought them who loss love ones.. Talked about their families who lost their mom or dad whatever.. *hits my heart breaks and tears more* I felt so sorry about everyones who losing love ones..

Agreed with memorial of WTC..
Ain't easy for everyones changing their lives too.

Good Thread coffeeeeman :thumb:

Individual families will mourn the loss of loved ones, and the country, as a national family, will mourn the tragic loss of life. The United States will also grieve another collective loss: the loss of invulnerability – or the idea that America was impervious to this kind of violence....

Hope the increased security Will Protect us from having another ...But, 9/11 will never be Forgotten.

It sure does make you wonder how trivial your complaints are when you post them in the forums. Next time you complain about gossipmongers or not having something your way, think about the day 9/11 happened.

Socrates said:
It sure does make you wonder how trivial your complaints are when you post them in the forums. Next time you complain about gossipmongers or not having something your way, think about the day 9/11 happened.

Very true. That being said...the trivial things in life is what can help in keeping our sanity. Just so long as we don't lose sight of what really counts.

I feel like there's a definite loss of trust and security since 9/11. A lot more fear. Sadness. Anger. All of this from a such huge violation. I definitely felt very violated, as I am sure everyone was. I was in DC when the Pentagon got hit. Now the airspace around DC is very strictly controlled and restricted the last I know. They do that shoe thing in BWI, too. Baltimore airport. I use slippers now when I take my flights to USA. Easier to take them off.

Also, there was a vaccuum space where all kinds of people went a bit crazy... with certain ideas of patriotism, and justified bullying others with those ideas (a revivial of the McCarthyism?). It was not easy for everyone. I am sure it is not still easy. I don't know how those in NYC feel - and I would be interested to hear their feelings on the changes today.

Yup, 9/11 makes almost everything else very, very trivial (still don't know what would beat the Holocaust). It was/is an opportunity to awaken people to see there is room for healing, too.

Yes, security has been upped everywhere. Airports, roadblocks, more attention being paid to suspicious activity.

Ahhhh....I remember EXACTLY what I did on September 11th, 2001. After my husband and kids went off to work and school, I took our youngest, strapped him into his car seat and was on my way to an appointment. We got there, and some lady came in, crying. She was one of the people who worked there. She was screaming (well, speaking very loudly and excitedly) "Did you hear about what happened at the WTC? A plane just crashed into it!!!"

They finished up with us as quickly as possible...probably rushed things. No big deal because we were there for replenishment on WIC checks. Once we left, I had to go to the bank to deposit a check into my account...they had signs up saying "Closed due to emergency." I didn't know what could have possibly happened that they would close a bank?

Then I saw fire and police emergency vehicles passing by, sirens wailing. I had NO idea what was going on, but the sky was filled with smoke - even from where I was, in Staten Island. I just got home as quickly as possible, turned on the TV. It was on every channel, and there were live pictures of what was going on...even pictures of the plane hitting the buildings. My stomach rolled, and I sank to the floor. I couldn't BELIEVE this. I got online to try getting ahold of my husband and it was all over the news there as well...people were IMing me asking if I was all right since pretty much, this was in my own back yard. Part of my city.

My mother saw everything happen from her window at work...she had a view of the WTC from there and actually watched, open mouthed, as the buildings were struck and then collapsed. My stepfather arrived home with ash and dirt on his clothes. My sisters got home from school and glued themselves in front of the television. My mother eventually grabbed them and brought them to my house where I was just as obsessed with getting answers about what the heck was going on in NYC, Washington DC and Pennsylvania...

No one I love was injured in any way, thank god, but I did find out that a friend of mine lost her husband who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. A young man I went to high school with and was in some of my classes was killed...was a rookie firefighter....22 years old. How terrible. :(

My heart was broken to see just how evil people can be. Things that have happened to me in the past just seem so minimal compared to some of the pain caused to hundreds and thousands of people by the 9/11 tragedy. So many families were broken, and many dreams, hopes and wishes, shattered. I do hope they find peace within themselves, somehow...

As for New York City...it will never be the same. The site where the towers used to be is empty now...and there is a cross made out of steel that was once part of the buildings itself. Always saddens me to remember that day.

All we can do is pray that no one has to go through that again. :(

Malfoyish

A huge rise of anti middle eastern hate/prejducice. I know since I am middle eastern my self........... i dont feel safe around white americans anymore or going out at night......

Wow, I have NOT fly any airplane ever
since 9/11 even though I used to
fly a lot traveling all over the United States
and overseas for work. I still refuse to fly ever again.

Immigration offices are much more stricter
than before. However, Immigration should be
banned and stop allow any more foreigners
moving into America !!! Why should America
open the doors to these immigrants ? Hell NO,
it is almost inviting troublemakers from these
other countries.. NOT worth anymore. We America
MUST protect ourselves as the first Top priority
simply by banning no more immigrants allowed here
in America.

Back