Possibly may start learning- question.

Squirt

Reaction score
I really didn't have an interest in learning any type of signing until I found this website. I've never met anyone that signs, so it didn't seem like something I should do. But then I started thinking, and I realized I've never stuck with anything before, and THEN I realized how many people in the United States, deaf or HOH or even hearing, sign. I thought, it couldn't hurt to learn a few of the basics, right?

But here's the thing--from what I've read, I think I'd prefer PSE, to start with. I think ASL head-on is like a giant wall I have to climb with few footholds. PSE just seems easier for me, mostly because I'd be able to talk/mouth at the same time. I may decide I prefer ASL later, but, is it really so terrible to start out with PSE? I know a lot of you are super pro-ASL, and I think it's great, but I also think it's too much to take on right now for me.

Yesterday I bought 2 books on sign, one dictionary and this smaller more kid-friendly book, so I'll be looking at those probably. I've also got a few websites (aslbrowser and aslpro) to cross reference.

Here comes the question that's gonna make you all roll your eyes:

I understand that SEE is signed exact english.
I understand that PSE is pidgin sighed english, or contact signing.
and I understand what ASL is.

If I were to sign "he not go to school (because?) he was sick." actually signing "to," that would be SEE, right?
If I signed, "he not go school today (because?) he was/were sick" is that more PSE-y? Or "when we were younger" would I sign "younger" as "age" and then indicate the height, or would that be inappropriate?
and ASL "today he not go school. why? he sick."

Do I even remotely have the gist here? I think what I'm trying to ask is if I decide to go with PSE, I don't really have to sign "to" "the" and" etc, right? That's more SEE?

BTW: this is mainly just a hobby thing. Later on I might find some place to do video chats or look for a class somewhere. This is just to pass the time while I look for jobs and such so I don't feel lazy. And I can learn something at the same time hehheh.

Try: today - school - he - go not - he - sick

It helps if you recall the parts of English.

For ALS it's: TIME, OBJECT, SUBJECT, VERB

Classifiers could be loosely described as visual adjectives.

Back