Possibly a water damaged Android phone....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Can a phone be water damaged even if it has not been exposed to water? Say, I use 2 different batteries for my phone. If I accidentally exposed one battery to water, and then put it in my phone, will it water damage the phone?

I may have water damaged my Verizon Stratosphere. I will have to see if I've insurance. I cannot remember if I did. If I did not, then I would probably try Droid 4. Keep in mind that I'm under contract.

Other question is that if a phone has been water damaged, would it ruin the other phone if I took battery from water damaged phone to the good phone?

If the battery contacts were shorted out and you put it in phone, then its possible. otherwise no you cant call it water damage on ohone itself if battery caused it. you are just trying to split hairs. whats happens wheen you try to boot on good battery?

What's the problem with your Stratosphere? Does the screen turn on or no? Do you felt it vibrate when it usually turn on before boot up?

In theory it may be possible for a water damaged (but dried) battery to short the circuit on the phone but I wouldn't try it if I knew it. You can see if a phone battery is water damaged by looking at the white sticker on it. If it's red, it's been water damaged. I would not try it just to be curious if it worked. Just spend the $5-10 to buy a new one.

Here is pic of a generic battery showing it's water damaged. It's red.

battery2.jpg

Phone all of sudden just stopped working on me. It would not turn on at all. I tried 2 different batteries. I went to one Verizon place who suggested that it was water damaged, but I did not recall putting phone by water at all.

I decided to go to a different Verizon place who sent me a new phone via Fed Express right away. Now it works. It works fine with both batteries.

Must have been defective from factory. Luckily, I'm under warranty.

Next time, when you drop phone in water. Quick, remove battery out or turn off. And put in the bag or zipper with rice. It help absorb out of water. It take a while to dry out.
High chance, it could work. Can't promise...

Next time, when you drop phone in water. Quick, remove battery out or turn off. And put in the bag or zipper with rice. It help absorb out of water. It take a while to dry out.

excellent advice!!!

...and that advice came from the weird and rude one LOL...

It depends on the water damage.

If it was just the battery that got wet and it dried up with no problems, then it should be fine. Unless, it's one of those batteries that absolutely cannot get wet.

If the battery was in a phone when it got wet, then it likely got shorted out and damaged. Then if it was put in another phone, the damage could also affect the other phone.

Can a phone get water damage if it never got wet? Yes, it's possible... humidity.

I knew a few friends who had Sidekicks that got "water-damaged". If you opened the back of the Sidekick, you would see a bunch of white stickers. Those white stickers are water sensors that turn irreversible dark pink when wet. No, they don't turn white again when they get dry. That's how they know if you got your phone wet.

Anyways, those friends would leave their Sidekicks in the car during the ice cold winter (this was in Rochester, NY)... then brought into a warm environment. When you bring something cold into a warm environment, what happens? Condensation. That's why you shouldn't leave sensitive electronics in an ice-cold environment and move it into a warm/hot environment.

I heard that before and it's kinds work but not 100% It's better than nothing.

A few of the drumline staff had dropped their iPhones in either a toilet bowl or a cooking pot full of hot water. They always used the rice trick. It worked sometimes. But one of the drumline staff had to replace their phone. he wasn't under warranty anymore and had to end up buying a new phone. :shock:

Hey whats up guys, i'm new to this forum stuff, but my phone recently fell in a little puddle of water and the battery say's it has water damage. I put it in rice with everything out than i put the same battery with the water damage and it started working for one day, than it started to turn off and on. Its a HTC Evo Design 4G. If i were to buy a new battery for it would it start working again as it was when i had it? Please reply ...

even u can lie to them and they knows u did drop it in water , here's their secret to voiding the warranty all electronics have moisture strips and if they see it damaged then its voided end of the story

There are two sensors in pager for water damage, one on battery and other one on pager itself. I have seen both, and water damaged when dried and put in device, likely won't do damage. The problem you had, I had same problem, but no water damage. Verizon called it defective and send me new one and I'm not 100% happy with replacement. May end up call again soon.

one thing i learned from the huricane sandy on my yahoo news there was an article about one company unfortunate down luck with their product are hybrid cars they had made and it was in their yard and when it was flooded and those cars geuss what? all burned to pavment because their batteries uses lithum ion. so lithum ion batteries are not water proof and doesnt go very well with moiture or water so those battery in phone if wet then get rid of it and get new battery! a water logged battery is no good

It depends on the water damage.

If it was just the battery that got wet and it dried up with no problems, then it should be fine. Unless, it's one of those batteries that absolutely cannot get wet.

If the battery was in a phone when it got wet, then it likely got shorted out and damaged. Then if it was put in another phone, the damage could also affect the other phone.

Can a phone get water damage if it never got wet? Yes, it's possible... humidity.

I knew a few friends who had Sidekicks that got "water-damaged". If you opened the back of the Sidekick, you would see a bunch of white stickers. Those white stickers are water sensors that turn irreversible dark pink when wet. No, they don't turn white again when they get dry. That's how they know if you got your phone wet.

Anyways, those friends would leave their Sidekicks in the car during the ice cold winter (this was in Rochester, NY)... then brought into a warm environment. When you bring something cold into a warm environment, what happens? Condensation. That's why you shouldn't leave sensitive electronics in an ice-cold environment and move it into a warm/hot environment.

Right, also bringing in the phone in the bathroom when taking hot shower. My step daughter always bring in the phone with two mini speakers in bathroom to play loud music. And whenever she done with it, I can see lot of moisure on her screen. I told her that this will damage the phone for having moisure in it. She said she been doing this all along and have no problem with it. Well, one day her phone stopped working and she took it to the store to get a replacement since it's under warranty. She failed..... the store asked her if she dropped in water. she said no..and the store said that there's moisture in it and thinking she lied. She got home mad. I look at her..I shrugged and said "you didn't take my advice".

Not surprised, this is one of reasons why I am against all electric or hybrid cars.

one thing i learned from the huricane sandy on my yahoo news there was an article about one company unfortunate down luck with their product are hybrid cars they had made and it was in their yard and when it was flooded and those cars geuss what? all burned to pavment because their batteries uses lithum ion. so lithum ion batteries are not water proof and doesnt go very well with moiture or water so those battery in phone if wet then get rid of it and get new battery! a water logged battery is no good

the reason is they used wrong battery kind and the right kind is nimh(nickel metal hyride) so all electric and hybrid are fine as long they use waterproof battery not needing air to make chemical reaction only kind that needs air are lithium ion and zinc-air
Not surprised, this is one of reasons why I am against all electric or hybrid cars.

It depends on whether it was charged, a solid state device that takes on water might be OK if you just dry it out. As I understand it, it is the shorting of electricity that breaks the device. Of course, there could be other things that could also break due to water damage.

Back