Possible Surgery Date

AshJagla

Reaction score
I was called last night by Zoe's choclear implant team, they had a cancellation and a date open up the 21st of this month. That would be great (although I feel a little sick thinking about it) except that they said our insurance hasn't approved her yet. Well I called our private insurance provider this morning, they said she was approved lats week and had left a msg for one of CIT orangizers :hmm: So I call the hospital back and told them, then they informed me that sometimes insurances say "Yeah, we'll help pay for surgery. Here's $10." She is going to look into it for me and see where we really are in the process, it is going to be quite the task to get her approved in time for the 21st as we just submitted the 30th of last month. Then there is Zoe's secondary insurance through AllKids (state insurance we pay for) who refuses to even talk to me and stated they will only talk with the healthcare providers, so who knows what's going on there.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed, if she can get this date she will be activated just before my birthday which I think would be amazing. If not she won't be activated until sometime early April, which is still not terrible, but obviously the sooner the better. She is doing so very well for sign, she's such a little sponge, I just know that she'll love "hearing" too, even if it doesn't end up being all it's made out to be.

I was called last night by Zoe's choclear implant team, they had a cancellation and a date open up the 21st of this month. That would be great (although I feel a little sick thinking about it) except that they said our insurance hasn't approved her yet. Well I called our private insurance provider this morning, they said she was approved lats week and had left a msg for one of CIT orangizers :hmm: So I call the hospital back and told them, then they informed me that sometimes insurances say "Yeah, we'll help pay for surgery. Here's $10." She is going to look into it for me and see where we really are in the process, it is going to be quite the task to get her approved in time for the 21st as we just submitted the 30th of last month. Then there is Zoe's secondary insurance through AllKids (state insurance we pay for) who refuses to even talk to me and stated they will only talk with the healthcare providers, so who knows what's going on there.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed, if she can get this date she will be activated just before my birthday which I think would be amazing. If not she won't be activated until sometime early April, which is still not terrible, but obviously the sooner the better. She is doing so very well for sign, she's such a little sponge, I just know that she'll love "hearing" too, even if it doesn't end up being all it's made out to be.

As you know, the sooner the better! When it's sooner.. it's very likely that it will turn out to be "all it's made out to be." CI's are very powerful with great potential. The problem is you simply cannot implant kids (or adults) later on and get the kind of results you get with children who get swift intervention or short-term post-lingual adults. The same rules will apply to any "cures" when they become available.

Are you a member of CICircle? You'll find great support there from other parents who have been down this road.

Best wishes for your family and Zoe!

Thank you! I am not a member there and am definitely going to check it out. I'm full of mixed emotions now and could really use some support from other parents of children who use CIs. I just found out that our insurance really did approve her and for a proper amount, and though it isn't quite set in stone yet, it looks like she's going to be able to have her bilateral surgery in just 2 short weeks!

Good luck Ash, hopefully you'll get it!

I was scheduled for a second CI last month but got bumped at the last minute, they're saying spring/summer now :(

Aww, sorry to hear that xunixan! That doesn't seem fair at all, how can they just bump you and then tell you it's going to be months before you can get it now? I've got my fingers crossed that it's sooner than they expect for you. I cannot imagine being an adult and wanting this for yourself and being put off like that, must be terribly disappointing <3

Back