Possible Discrimnation against Arby's.

athleticandy88

Reaction score
I am an Empolyer of Arby's Fastfood for the payrate of $6.85 for the last 8th months, When I Interviewed I was asked several questions about my ability with my hearing aids of what I can and can't do, I explained to them this is my first real job and knowing alittle bit about the fastfood process, that I would be able to do alot of things but have trouble with taking frontline orders from customers and doing drive-thru headsets taking orders and then the manager talked with me and told me that my asking payrate $7.00 wouldn't be possible at the point and they would pay me $6.85. so I okyed It and did my best at my job and everything so I could get my raised, well 8months comes by and at least 10 people has been hired at $7.00 and given a raised when they take drivethru orders and frontline orders, I've spoken to the manager and District manager and told them they need give me my raise and subitute them with something else, I work full time and travel to other Arby's when they're low on workers, and I still make $6.85.. I've tried applying at other jobs to get away from Arby's but no one is calling me back, plus I just got into a wreck on thursday night by an illegal immigrant so I now have no car and am screwed w/ him havin no insurance & being illegal... but if I fight this would the discrimnation passed? you think, please tell me Thanks

Yes, that sounds like discrimination.

I worked at Jack in the Box while in high school into my college years back in the late 80s and early 90s. My gosh, the hourly rate at the time was $2.50! LOL!

Anyways, during my first 2 years working there, I worked as a cook, prepper, and helped with the orders whenever I can so by my 3rd year, I was ready to get promoted to shift manager in which I manage the shift. I felt I knew the restaurant policies inside and out but my boss kept promoting other people who had been hired after I was. I was puzzled so I thought maybe I needed to express my interest in the position so he can be aware.

However, when I did, u know what he said? He said that due to my deafness I wasnt qualified for the position. I was 19 years old at the time and was niave about discrimination. I felt crushed and told my mom about it and she told me to brush it off since working there wasnt a career choice. Due to being passive, I took my mom's word for it but it bothered me so much that I ended up quitting a week later.

If I knew back that what I know now, there definitely would be a lawsuit.

Pls dont give up so keep on fighting for it and if nothing happens, I suggest to seek a lawyer.

That is absolutely discrimination, and I suggest that you contact an attorney immediately. In the first place, it is illegal to ask you about a disability prior to hiring. Int he second, you are entitled to the same pay rate for the same job as performed by hearing employees.

So do I need to tell the manager that I'm seeking further help from the government and ADA to help me if I don't get my raise that I should be accepting? or what. I haven't yet went to the Deaf services but they asked if I could come in on a tuesday or thursday but I don't know my work schedule yet so I call in tomorrow morining...

So do I need to tell the manager that I'm seeking further help from the government and ADA to help me if I don't get my raise that I should be accepting? or what. I haven't yet went to the Deaf services but they asked if I could come in on a tuesday or thursday but I don't know my work schedule yet so I call in tomorrow morining...

I wouldnt say anything to the manager if I were u until u get advice from the lawyer or a mediator. Get their advice first and go from there. In the meantime, keep trying for the raise and document everything they do or say that prevents you from getting it.

Discuss it with Deaf Services prior to saying anything to your manager. I hope your meeting goes well. If you are using the agency in the city where you live, they have an advocate that can tell you which step to take next,and walk you through the process. Good luck, and keep us informed.

yeah you can against arby boss! if you wanted raise whether you wanted earn money as hours or less or more hours.

but im been against Victoria's Secret in North Little Rock,Ar for rehires jobs and cant hires me because im no longer workers dues my old boss give me no longer work dues another girls get jobs and i have no rights! and without knowledges but i have no choices! and also i get fill-out at another stores same stores in Little Rock,Ar and no hires at me! and i told that stores im been work that Victoria's Secret before and i tried to against that store! and also company i wanted win that to rehires for jobs but im really loves that jobs very much!

mostly people always have problems at works for more reasons but can have words with boss for earn raise or can resign jobs that your choice if you wanted kept jobs i know that not easy for that! but you can DOIT!

This isn't related to the central message here but you said that the other driver did not have car insurance and that you're screwed because of that. Does this mean that you also do not have car insurance? If you do, your companny is to pay for the damages to your car. You have the right to be reinstated (your car) to the condition it was in one moment before impact. So if you have car insurance, call your agent.

I am an Empolyer of Arby's Fastfood for the payrate of $6.85 for the last 8th months, When I Interviewed I was asked several questions about my ability with my hearing aids of what I can and can't do, I explained to them this is my first real job and knowing alittle bit about the fastfood process, that I would be able to do alot of things but have trouble with taking frontline orders from customers and doing drive-thru headsets taking orders and then the manager talked with me and told me that my asking payrate $7.00 wouldn't be possible at the point and they would pay me $6.85. so I okyed It and did my best at my job and everything so I could get my raised, well 8months comes by and at least 10 people has been hired at $7.00 and given a raised when they take drivethru orders and frontline orders, I've spoken to the manager and District manager and told them they need give me my raise and subitute them with something else, I work full time and travel to other Arby's when they're low on workers, and I still make $6.85.. I've tried applying at other jobs to get away from Arby's but no one is calling me back, plus I just got into a wreck on thursday night by an illegal immigrant so I now have no car and am screwed w/ him havin no insurance & being illegal... but if I fight this would the discrimnation passed? you think, please tell me Thanks

Andy,

You need to think back to your interview, because the answer to some questions will be very very important in determining whether you were discriminated against. When you said "when I Interviewed I was asked several questions about my ability with my hearing aids of what I can and can't do", how exactly did they ask the question? An employer is allowed to ask an applicant if they can do the essential tasks of a job, but they're not allowed to ask anything about a disability. So, if an employer is hiring people to lift boxes, and someone comes in to interview with no arms and legs, the employer can ask "Are you able to lift 50 pound boxes?", but not "You don't have arms and legs, surely you can't life 50 pound boxes, right?"

What's important is that:

1) The interview questions they ask must be ESSENTIAL to the job they're hiring for -- they can't ask you things that have little to do with the job, and they can't disqualify you for the position when reasonable accommodations could be made.
2) They cannot ask anything about your disability during the interview.
3) You must be able to prove that you have a disability (determined by a doctor).
4) You experienced some monetary loss based on your disability status.

If talking to customers is essential to the $7.00 job, and you cannot do this with any reasonable accommodation, they may be able to pull this kind of stunt without any way for you to get around it. However, for 15 cents an hour, I bet they'd just pay the difference to keep things quiet if you push it.

In terms of item 4, you're probably not going to qualify for too much if you take it to the EEOC or a lawyer. You're talking about $.15 cents an hour difference, so it's not going to add up to too much. However, if the company has a track record of doing this kind of thing, the EEOC will sometimes go after a company harshly, so it may be worth talking to a mediator or lawyer briefly about it. Just don't get your hopes up -- the damage amount is probably so small that most lawyers won't even do it. It may not be worth the trouble, even if it's blatently discriminatory.

By the way, near where I live there's a deaf family that owns a small restaurant... they hire lots of deafies/HHs. Maybe you could find a place like that in your community!

This isn't related to the central message here but you said that the other driver did not have car insurance and that you're screwed because of that. Does this mean that you also do not have car insurance? If you do, your companny is to pay for the damages to your car. You have the right to be reinstated (your car) to the condition it was in one moment before impact. So if you have car insurance, call your agent.

It more likely not covered if the person only had liability insurance.

And as for the topic, I would seek and speak with any service that specialize in assisting handicapped and the law in your area first to see what ground you have on this matter if any. I would not seek advice from a public forum unless you are seeking for an location or how to locate such service for your needs.

You got to get a lawyer.

Back