Portland or Eugene, Oregon

tingboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about moving from Cali to Oregon.
Either Eugene/Springfield, or Portland.
Is anyone from there that has anything negative or positive to say about those areas?

So far, I've heard about the rain... but weather itself is nice. Never too hot. Humidity is next to none. Crime rates are low.
I'm looking right now for a job there. Hoping they'll skype with me so i don't have to 'waste' resources heading up there. I'd like to purchase a house there, but many are saying the property taxes are high and suggest living in Vancouver, Washington, then traveling across the river to Portland for shopping since there's no sales tax. On top of that, property taxes are low in Washington.

Any input/opinions/etc are welcomed. I'd love to hear all the bad and good stuff to make my decision.

Thanks in advance.

Portland gets less rain per year than Eugene and is warmer in the winter by a little bit. Oregon's rainy season is Oct- May. This last year Portland went 150 days without rain. I personally like the outlying areas around Portland better than the city itself.

Property taxes aren't that high in OR compared to CA. State income tax on the other hand is high when compared to CA. Auto reg is also low in OR. WA property taxes are higher than OR, however, when you factor in no income tax in WA it's probably a better bet to live in Vancouver, WA and do all your shopping across the river in Portland.

Last edited:
My sister used to lived in Eugene, Oregon for college before graduation and then moving back to New Mexico. The city look beautiful with scenery. I think you would like to visit and see if you like this city.

Just last few weeks ago, she went to Oregon to spend time with her best friend and she enjoyed being out by the ocean. She did not tell me where the town or city was. I did not asked her about that. Just Oregon is enough for me. I am not that crazy about Oregon. I used to live in State of Washington (Seattle) for community college where they have Deaf program. I had a Culture shock that I am not used to Seattle. I love the college and the dormitory life with Deaf people.

I don't know anything about Portland. Just have to go there and visit. That is the most important way to get to know Oregon. If you like it, then you can move there. If not, then you don't have to move in there. I hope you have enough money to save for the trip to visit.

My suggestion is to visit Oregon and see if you like Oregon better than California. Good luck. :thumb:

I have a friend who lives in Klamath Falls... he hasn't had any complaints as far as I know. Last year I went to Bend, Oregon... nice place up there and saw Mt. Bachelor and Pilot Butte.

I took this shot from Pilot Butte... Mt Bachelor in background.

Back