Poor traumatized dog!!!

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fisherman's Catch He'll Never Forget

Check out video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX6UhgboDgc]Sometimes when you're fishing, strange things happen...like, dogs swim up to you - YouTube[/ame]

A fisherman kayaking on the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend made one catch he'll never forget -- a dog swimming for his life off the Siesta Key coast.

What initially seemed like a bizarre rescue actually took place following a horrific tragedy, when a drunk driver fatally struck the dog's owner in a hit-and-run accident approximately one mile from the shore, according to ABC Action News.

Authorities told the local Patch that they found Donna Chen, 53, face down on the pavement that afternoon, while her dog, Barney, was nowhere to be seen.

Police said that the suspected driver, Blake Talman, was fleeing another crash scene when his Nissan Altima spun out of control, striking Chen and Barney, as well as some landscaping, a street sign, a telephone line, and several wooden poles lining the entrance to a church, according tot he Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

Talman and his passenger were both taken to a local hospital to be treated for serious injuries.

It wasn't until after posting the rescue video to YouTube that the kayaker connected the accident to his timely rescue.

"Our guess is that [the dog] was so freaked out and traumatized that he just wanted to get as far away from there as possible," he wrote in the video's description. "And when he ran out of land, he took to the water."

The kayaker pulled the visibly distraught and injured dog to safety. He is now with the family and is expected to make a full recovery.

Talman, 22, is charged with DUI manslaughter in addition to DUI property damage and personal injury

:shock:

Last edited:
That poor dog :mad:

Yes it does have a happy ending, but it never should have gone through that very horrible scare in the first place.

It's very sad. Awful about the owner being killed.

I'm still crying!!! What a sad story with a wonderful ending. Gave Marley an extra treat!

That's a quite a swim for the little guy. He must have been terrified out of his mind.

Loved the shout-out to "ShamWOW" as the fisherman was drying the dog off. Never know when you'll have an unusual use for the product!

Terrible about the owner being killed. The only small consolation is it sounds like they caught the guy, and are charging him with manslaughter. Hope he does a good long time in jail.

The poor dog ! What a tragic story for the his owner and the famliy. I hope the drunk driver is locked up for a very long time!

This happened yesterday, was in the news last night and in the papers today. There's a picture of the dog at home in his bed with Dr. Chen..... Lucky dog. A really bad day for the family.

I live 30 miles south of Siesta Key and know the road. Ugh.

That's a quite a swim for the little guy. He must have been terrified out of his mind.

Loved the shout-out to "ShamWOW" as the fisherman was drying the dog off. Never know when you'll have an unusual use for the product!

Terrible about the owner being killed. The only small consolation is it sounds like they caught the guy, and are charging him with manslaughter. Hope he does a good long time in jail.

They are charging him with a zillion charges. Not just manslaughter. Two accidents, one death, few injured passengers, property damage and so on.:eek3:

This one is of the saddest story story I heard of , my heart goes out to the woman's famliy and her little dog. I am glad the guy was fishing so he was able to save the dog life. It is amazing how things work out something , he when fishing and saved a dog life.

Today's paper on this: Blake Talman had a run-in with the police on the beach 40 minutes before the accidents. The guys were drinking liquor. Blake used to work at the concessions stand but fired few weeks before. So he was messing around there, disturbing the families there. So police was called to give him a "move along" warning.

One of his friends got arrested 15 mins later when they were not totally gone from the concessions (police came back again) for obscenities/disorderly conduct. So Blake and another friend leave and drink in the car some more...and left.

Then these two accidents happened. Police did not have any reason arrest these two at the time they arrested the guy. They were told that they were either going back to the beach or somewhere in the park and then left. So of course Blake was driving drunk, crashed into a truck and fled the scene. Under a minute, going at 90 mph on Midnight Pass Road to the curve--didn't curve to the side and plows into Donna Chen and the dog. So the dog naturally freaked out and took off. I feel so bad for the dog. I am very thankful he is okay at home with his family but Donna's life is lost. So tragic. There's even a timeline of events and map of the key where everything happened.

And the area where the dog was found is not where people or animals normally "get into the water". Point of Rocks is what it looks there. The dog ran well over a mile. He was found by the kayaker after 130pm. The accident involving him and his owner Donna occured at 1:11. So in the video, the dog is very scared---having been in the accident only less than 30 minutes before. It makes me so sad at the traumatic way he lost his "mommy".

In addition--Blake was noticed to be slurring his speech, with bloodshot eyes after the accident so police started to go after him for his blood. He refused to take the test so police forced him to the hospital (where my two kids were born at) to do it. He kept refusing and trying to leave the building so his blood was taken by force and will be checked for his blood alcohol content. He had mulitple arrests in nearby counties in past year also. His family refused to comment for now out of respect for the Chen family. The kayaker found Dr. Chen and made sure the dog went back to him, no one else since the dog did nto have a tag but he took the dog to the vet to see if the dog had a microchip. He did. So the Chen got the dog back--thank God.

So for the sake of that idiot who can't resist the booze, a woman's life is lost and her family is forever changed. I hope he gets, in addition to serious jail time, some sort of mandatory work in a morgue, each and every week, to bring home to him what his foolish actions have cost this family.

As for the rescue of the dog - it points out once again how useful microchips are. Both my dogs are chipped. If you have a dog, I highly, highly recommend doing it. You just never know if it might be the one factor that gets your dog returned to you.

Back