ponder about Hearing people

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
How do you handle with heairng people who took it hard when they find out their relatives who lost their hearing?

What will you tell the Hearing People?

It irks me when hearing people got upset if their relatives who lost their hearing.. REALLLY?!:eek3:

except CODA, or Interpreter.

:wiggle:

Well, me too!

And the older I get, the more irksome.

If I had the energy, I would be shaking my cane and snarling at them...

:lol: ^^^

the more I hate to see when the mom keeps saying, " its my fault not to take kid to dr on time etc or kid would not lose their hearing." Nothing is at fault at all.

Beg to differ...(at least in my case)....my ear infections were ignored...so was my being hard of hearing....:hmm:....feel sure if my mother and grandfather were living....they would be carrying some guilt.

well of course it's upsetting to see someone you care about suddenly lose their hearing and watch them have to go through the stage of adapting and transitioning. No it's not about the hearing person but it does affect the entire family and often the rest of us don't know how to help. I'm not trying to irk or offend anyone by stating how I felt about the whole situation but it's helpful to know how you guys feel about this subject.

not sure I understand I thought you been Deaf long time ff and your relatives should know and have some feeling,it not worth getting head ache about it.

not sure I understand I thought you been Deaf long time ff and your relatives should know and have some feeling,it not worth getting head ache about it.

Oh no. My family and relatvies accepted me as a Deaf person since I was born Deaf. Most of my relatives do have disabled kids. Speaking of in general, where hearing people who have no familiar with varied of disabled people and take it too personally or take it hard that their relatives are becoming disability. But for hearing loss issue, yes it irks me when they found out about their relatives who lost their hearing and they try to find a way to comfort them like " i need to find a way for them to hear me."

I'm feeling each case is different. In my case, my deafness could have been avoided. It was a severe blow to me as I loved music....My family were all hearing.....and after my 1st surgery, my mother seemed to be in denial that I was indeed...deaf...she would scream or throw things at me to get my attention....even my siblings were indifferent to me.....perhaps I'm sharing TMI.... and I do carry a lot of heartache and rememberence.....

Not to say I didn't love my mother, I did. And she passed 2 weeks after my deafness....so there was no time at all to sit down and talk about it all....

So, IMHO, yes, some parents do blame themselves....sad as it may be.

I'm feeling each case is different. In my case, my deafness could have been avoided. It was a severe blow to me as I loved music....My family were all hearing.....and after my 1st surgery, my mother seemed to be in denial that I was indeed...deaf...she would scream or throw things at me to get my attention....even my siblings were indifferent to me.....perhaps I'm sharing TMI.... and I do carry a lot of heartache and rememberence.....

Not to say I didn't love my mother, I did. And she passed 2 weeks after my deafness....so there was no time at all to sit down and talk about it all....

So, IMHO, yes, some parents do blame themselves....sad as it may be.

But the whole point of this is the hearing people who want us to feel sorry for them because a member of their family lost their hearing.

I could give you TMI specifics of my life too, and tell you why my mother lost custody. Of course you might never sleep again...

A lot of us have a lot of anger, and not a lot of sympathy to spare for trivial problems.

My oldest sister husband lost some hearing and she did not take it hard at all . I think it has to do with how informed a person is about hearing lost , some people are just plan clueless . Asking if you can drive a car b/c you're deaf or hoh . :roll:

Part of it seems to be that hearing family members are used to communicating with ease, and now that that option's gone, they get upset and angry. Especially if they're stubborn and expect people to change for them. God forbid they communicate any way other than the way they're used to.

A lot of it comes from a lack of understanding.

Part of it seems to be that hearing family members are used to communicating with ease, and now that that option's gone, they get upset and angry. Especially if they're stubborn and expect people to change for them. God forbid they communicate any way other than the way they're used to.

A lot of it comes from a lack of understanding.

The last paragraph is true. Important thing for the hearing person is to listen to the Late Deafened relative like parent, or sibling who lose their hearing about their hearing issues and the accommodations. I wish the hearing person would just read the forums here instead of asking for help when hearing person can learn deafness and hearing devices issues which the hearing person can learn something on this forum.

Most hearing people expected us to be like them all the time. There is no way that the hearing person can not cure hearing loss for their parent or sibling. Nope. :roll:

Hearing person must accept his or her hearing loss. If the hearing person can not accept his or her hearing loss, then that is too bad. No matter what you have to accept the disability whether you like it or not.

Back