Polygamy

What do you mean? You will have to explain it for me.

I just want the society to pick one - monogamy for all or polyandry/polygyny for all, not just polygyny or just polyandry. The marriage had to be agreed on by both parties (not their parents, etc).

Many people do not believe society has the right to pick a "one size fits all" relationship.

No, I never said that.

After the death of a spouse, the widow/widower is free to marry.

The wedding vows are, "until death do us part." Death ends the vow.

Later Day Saints (Mormans) do not include the clause "till death do us part" because they believe the relationship continues. I'm sure they are not the only ones.

All I have to say on that is if I were in a dating type of lifestyle, no ties to one person, then who cares. I do think if a man/woman finds that INCREDIBLE person, the person they don't want to let go, I don't think they would be okay knowing that the person is out and about with every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

In a polygamous relationship there is no going out and about with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, unless those are the names of the men involved in the relationship.

A group of people in a polygamous relationship are usually required to be faithful to the group.

I support arranged marriages as long as the man and woman each have veto power in the selection, and that the wedding doesn't happen until they are both of legal age.

Then it is no longer an arranged marriage, is it?

I believe that in most arranged marriages there is usually more than one suitor acceptable to the parents.

Maybe the problem is the man considers it "working" and doing a "job." That doesn't sound like much fun. :roll:

I doubt you have been to bed with many women. Some of them -- I swear -- Play a game of "You can't turn me on, nanny nanny nah nah."

They say you can go blind doing this. Uh - huh.

:laugh2: otay!! then how does your body know the difference between self pleasurement and hot,wild full satisfaction from a partner? both methods surely would make you blind. :D

I think this thread boils down to a single question:

What rights does a society have in choosing specific marital relationships for its members?

Later Day Saints (Mormans) do not include the clause "till death do us part" because they believe the relationship continues. I'm sure they are not the only ones.
The Bible says in Matthew 22:

"23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, 24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: 26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. 27 And last of all the woman died also. 28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

I doubt you have been to bed with many women. Some of them -- I swear -- Play a game of "You can't turn me on, nanny nanny nah nah."
You chose them. That's your problem.

You chose them. That's your problem.

How is there a problem?

That is why you have sex with people before you marry them. So you aren't suckered into a situation that is untenable in the bedroom.

"23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, 24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: 26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. 27 And last of all the woman died also. 28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

I cannot debate the correctness of the belief of a church I neither belong too nor wish to join.

I LOVE my coffee.

I can point out that they disagree.

I could point out that I would personally find a heaven without sex to be far too drab a substitute for life to encourage my participation.

That makes absolutely no sense.

In a polygamous relationship there is no going out and about with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, unless those are the names of the men involved in the relationship.

A group of people in a polygamous relationship are usually required to be faithful to the group.

No that example was based on a relationship between two parties.

My thing is in polygamy what's the limit? He/she (usually he) has _ amount of wives/husbands and believes he has a connection with all of them? Where does it end?? So he can decide to bring a new wife every few months, maybe days? He wants a wife for ever day of the week it seems. Don't forget a wife to make special brownies, then there's the wife that will do what the others won't. Then you got the wife to clean the gutters.. it's just silly to me. If I thought more inward versus fulfilling everyone totally then this might make more sense.

I feel as if these people think they are at the local ice cream store and they want to have each flavor! If I had a husband for every "husband like" need I'd need a school bus. We all can't get what we want in one person, and I'm okay with knowing that.

I don't know about the finances of these polygamous relationships, but if the guy were flat broke, would these relationships still be strong? Like I said before I do see the "positive" aspects of the polygamous lifestyle, you get someone to watch your children, and a clean your house when you're out, but what else is a positive that I am missing. Sharing body fluids between five or more people?? :hmm: Sweet!

I may be wrong but it just seems like sex is the biggest factor, and if that's the case, if one were to stay single you can do everything, and don't have to take care of thirty children.

Last edited:
I don't know about the finances of these polygamous relationships, but if the guy were flat broke, would these relationships still be strong?
I believe in cultures that currently practice polygamy, they resolve the financial aspects in different ways. If polygamy were legal in the USA, I don't know which way people would handle that aspect.

I think in the Muslim culture the number of wives is not infinite, and that the men aren't supposed to take on more wives than they can support.

In the offshoot branches of Mormonism, they seem to allow more wives. They also seem to expect more income production from their women, even to the point where some of the men don't need to work. Also, they don't seem to be adverse to accepting financial aid, which is odd since mainstream Mormons tend more to financial independence.

Seeing how some American men don't even support one wife with children unless the law forces them, it could be a sticky situation. (Even with the law, there are deadbeat dads.)

I don't know what the financial arrangements would be in polyandry groups. It seems that if not all the men were working, that would cause friction with those who do.

IF polygamy were allowed in the USA, would that include polyandry also? Would there be a limit to how many spouses could be included? What about multiple men married to multiple women? What about homosexual multiple spouses? All men or all women. How many?

This gets complicated. :dizzy:

IF polygamy were allowed in the USA, would that include polyandry also? Would there be a limit to how many spouses could be included? What about multiple men married to multiple women? What about homosexual multiple spouses? All men or all women. How many?

This gets complicated. :dizzy:

Simple solution: any consenting adults should be able to enter, modify, or withdraw from a marriage contract with any other consenting adults at any time.

Female, male, other, gay, straight, bi, mono, poly: consenting adults should be able to enter into contracts with consenting adults.

Back