Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
so why do profound identify as deaf? hmmmm yep, its self identity, what they claim... so theres where the whole twist it any way but your way and the books say comes from and creates confusions... its a fact.
Profoundly deaf only means that they have a hearing loss of 90 db or more. You claim that isn't deaf and they should be hard of hearing!

Oh man.
As if the day wasn't confusing enough, I'm getting vibes that I am not what I seem to be.
I have friends who do not think me deaf. I have friends who accept me as Deaf.
I have two hearing aids, but I only wear one most of the time. Half the time I take it off when I get home. It is just a tool. Around friends it doesn't really matter, you know?
Yeah, yeah, I go through times when someone says "You're not deaf because you can hear something!"
Not without a hearing aid I can't.
Am I deaf?
My answer is resoundingly Yes.
I hope that a new law will help us.
Do we really need one?
This topic is important to me as well, sono.

Profoundly deaf only means that they have a hearing loss of 90 db or more. You claim that isn't deaf and they should be hard of hearing!
So kinda like a double negative there, one cancels the other out.
Correct profound is not deaf, it is HOH to the extreme.

As an example , put a cottonball or ear plugs in. You can still hear, just not as well, so really you arent deaf just HOH. those who claim to be deaf is just self identifying themselves as deaf when really they are HOH possibly worst or less than others. So, in other words its a fine line to most and self proclamation as deaf although they are not completely deaf ( still hear some sounds but cant make out words ) which actually classifies as HOH but again, theres a threshold on self identifying. Medically its one or the other ( Deaf or HOH )

Oh man.
As if the day wasn't confusing enough, I'm getting vibes that I am not what I seem to be.
I have two hearing aids, but I only wear one most of the time. Half the time I take it off when I get home. It is just a tool. Around friends it doesn't really matter, you know?
Yeah, yeah, I go through times when someone says "You're not deaf because you can hear something!"
Not without a hearing aid I can't.
Am I deaf?
My answer is resoundingly Yes.
I hope that a new law will help us.
Do we really need one?
This topic is important to me as well, sono.

I would say you are extrmely HOH in my opinion as you can hear somewhat, but thats just my opinion. Without your aids and cant hear anything deaf ( as I am without my CI's )

people can be slightly HOH to extremely HOH but can still hear to an extent the more extreme with or without aids would be late deafened such as I was when I lost all residual hearing. Now I am Truely Deaf without my CI's and I identify as being deaf because I am without any assistance.

kind of like if a Deer farts in the woods and no one is around, does it still sound like a fart?

Then again, thats what you self identify as, your friends and family may identify you differently.

So kinda like a double negative there, one cancels the other out.
Correct profound is not deaf, it is HOH to the extreme.

As an example , put a cottonball or ear plugs in. You can still hear, just not as well, so really you arent deaf just HOH. those who claim to be deaf is just self identifying themselves as deaf when really they are HOH possibly worst or less than others. So, in other words its a fine line to most and self proclamation as deaf although they are not completely deaf ( still hear some sounds but cant make out words ) which actually classifies as HOH but again, theres a threshold on self identifying. Medically its one or the other ( Deaf or HOH )
Just because that is your opinion doesn't make it true. That is what you are missing. A 90 db hearing loss IS deaf. You would not be able to find one scrap of evidence to back you up. Even the link YOU provided says that 90 db is deaf. Every single journal and audiological reference is going to say the same thing. 90 db and up is deaf.

Here is a good point to ponder.

Why dont True Deaf welcome HOH and Late deafened people into their communities and especially Hearies ?

****Remember, we are all in the same boat with hearing issues of varying degrees****

Just because that is your opinion doesn't make it true. That is what you are missing. A 90 db hearing loss IS deaf. You would not be able to find one scrap of evidence to back you up. Even the link YOU provided says that 90 db is deaf. Every single journal and audiological reference is going to say the same thing. 90 db and up is deaf.
That isnt True Deaf....

Can you see, then youre not blind, Do you wear glasses then you have vison issues, Can you not see anything such as light/shadows? Then its True Blindness.

How difficult is it to understand one or the other? pretty hard being youre not, but if it ever happed, it will be a Oh Shat moment !

Funny when a Hearie tells a deafie they arent or dont know about this n that.

or better yet that they dont know what theyre talking about.

Sounds like oppression there.... all too familiar.

First hand I can say I was born HOH , No I never walked around with a Decibel Meter to see how loud people had to talk for me to understand them. But I identified as HOH since childhood, although I could hear, just not as well as other and worst over time. Later in life due to my Ski-Slope loss, my hearing degraded to the point HA didnt work for me any more , then it was gone... No matter how loud ( even the atomic bomb would make a peep ) I was officially deaf. So i know the various degrees of hearing loss first hand, I know what its like to hear and i know what its like to be HOH and I know all too well SUDDENLY what silence is, what its like to be truely deaf, not pretending to be HOH or any of that... Stone Deaf, its a whole new world of its own.

My family as well as my friends?
Or Lord, have mercy.
Just going off what you said

they identify you differently than you do yourself... Everyone does it, friends, family, strangers....

Just going off what you said

they identify you differently than you do yourself... Everyone does it, friends, family, strangers....
Truth.

My family as well as my friends?
Or Lord, have mercy.
For an example, My sister is extremely HOH but refuses to address it.
Now we are the only 2 in the entire family that were born with hearing issues and the whole family knows it.

Now My dad understands completely I am completely deaf without my CI's on and he works on talking to me when i do go deaf for the day or so, he also respects that when i do wear them its another world for me.

My mom on the other hand yells, when I go full deaf she thinks yelling I can hear her???? nope.
she is used to yelling to my sister and when I have my CIs on i ask her to quiet down or quit yelling and she gets a pissy mood and yells louder that she isnt yelling when she is, even my daughter and nephews have told her she is yelling but all that does it piss her off more and she yells louder so I take the CI's off and ignore her/

So you have people who understand and those who dont.

Such as when i worked for the Government, My co-workers would raise their voices for me to hear them, when they went home their families would tell them to stop yelling just because they spent the day with me on a jobsite it became a natural thing for them, at work... at home it was a different story.

For an example, My sister is extremely HOH but refuses to address it.
Now we are the only 2 in the entire family that were born with hearing issues and the whole family knows it.

Now My dad understands completely I am completely deaf without my CI's on and he works on talking to me when i do go deaf for the day or so, he also respects that when i do wear them its another world for me.

My mom on the other hand yells, when I go full deaf she thinks yelling I can hear her???? nope.
she is used to yelling to my sister and when I have my CIs on i ask her to quiet down or quit yelling and she gets a pissy mood and yells louder that she isnt yelling when she is, even my daughter and nephews have told her she is yelling but all that does it piss her off more and she yells louder so I take the CI's off and ignore her/

So you have people who understand and those who dont.

Such as when i worked for the Government, My co-workers would raise their voices for me to hear them, when they went home their families would tell them to stop yelling just because they spent the day with me on a jobsite it became a natural thing for them, at work... at home it was a different story.
What did your father do for a living?

Engraver, i also worked there for a few years, he has been there since his young adult years and still going at 70

Its a full machine shop.

Engraver, i also worked there for a few years, he has been there since his young adult years and still going at 70

Its a full machine shop.
I just wanted to know to see if it makes a difference or not.

From my viewpoint, I cannot fault you for questioning your station in life.
My grandfather always exhorted me to be a diamond cutter.Funny how life turns out, huh?

Anyway, are you close to your sister?

God I love this forum too.

I just wanted to know to see if it makes a difference or not.

From my viewpoint, I cannot fault you for questioning your station in life.
My grandfather always exhorted me to be a diamond cutter.Funny how life turns out, huh?

Anyway, are you close to your sister?

God I love this forum too.
My Grandfather was a Medical Doctor, he wanted me to follow his footsteps, Died when I was 2 after having 7 heart attacks

I hate my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back