Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wont...remember things from a very young age.
I agree generally. Ain't that a shame, though, that one doesn't where it counts the most?
I became deaf at two and a half years old and I THINK I remember my parents' voices.

I'm from skipped generation of hearing loss relatives but I'm the first one that I'm completed deaf in the generation

Born Deaf at birth, wore hearing aids when I was young. No longer wear hearing aids.

What confuses me are the ones saying born Deaf and wore hearing aids??? Did they not know you were deaf or were you born HOH ?

What confuses me are the ones saying born Deaf and wore hearing aids??? Did they not know you were deaf or were you born HOH ?

I think they are referring to being culturally deaf rather than the using the medical term .

So where does the HA come into play? Youre either Deaf or deaf.

I think it is a matter of being medically HOH but part of the Deaf community so they think of themselves as D/deaf even though they use a HA or HAs.

I was born deaf and outfitted with hearing aids about 1.5 years old. I would say the Deaf did not come into play until I was in my 20s.

I know many people who were born profoundly deaf and wear/wore hearing aids. Cochlear implants weren't available until the late 1980's and didn't become very widespread until very recently. Many people continue to use hearing aids, even with very little residual hearing.

I was born deaf and outfitted with hearing aids about 1.5 years old. I would say the Deaf did not come into play until I was in my 20s.

I think a good deal of the confusion comes from the fact that there are places/times where/when deaf is defined as not hearing at all. With that definition of deaf you would not be able to use a hearing aid. I know that is the definition I grew up with.

So born profound/hoh isn't exactly deaf.... wearing HA until they no longer helped or went completely deaf would be late deafened not culturally deaf as culturally deaf is DEAF, completely Deaf since birth... no hearing whatsoever. I think a lot of people confuse Culturally Deaf with Late deafened.
If you were born with ANY hearing whatever, you weren't born Deaf.

So born profound/hoh isn't exactly deaf.... wearing HA until they no longer helped or went completely deaf would be late deafened not culturally deaf as culturally deaf is DEAF, completely Deaf since birth... no hearing whatsoever. I think a lot of people confuse Culturally Deaf with Late deafened.
If you were born with ANY hearing whatever, you weren't born Deaf.
Almost no one is born without any residual hearing. Profoundly deaf is defined as no hearing at 90 db or higher. Someone can be profoundly deaf (the highest category of hearing loss) and still wear hearing aids. Their level of benefit would vary based on their loss level, age of intervention and so on.

Almost no one is born without any residual hearing. Profoundly deaf is defined as no hearing at 90 db or higher. Someone can be profoundly deaf (the highest category of hearing loss) and still wear hearing aids. Their level of benefit would vary based on their loss level, age of intervention and so on.
Soooooooo what IS the differences between Deaf, HOH, Late deafened then if they are ALL gonna be thrown into one bucket then? they are not all the same and different degrees of hearing loss... Born Deaf is Born with no hearing whatsoever, nada, zip, nope ! You cant twist it to your likings, facts.

Sono, I've read somewhere that total lack of hearing is very rare.
I consider myself deaf because of how severe (profound) my hearing loss is. But with HAs I'm hard of hearing. Without the HAs I hear very little with my better ear.

Sono, I've read somewhere that total lack of hearing is very rare.
I consider myself deaf because of how severe (profound) my hearing loss is. But with HAs I'm hard of hearing. Without the HAs I hear very little with my better ear.
Yes, I was like that since birth. But because I could hear somewhat I don't consider myself Deaf. Once HA didn't help me anymore then I considered myself Late deafened as it was then I could no longer hear. But there is still a fine line between Deaf/deaf maybe a baby did hear "some" when born but never really heard anything after that, that would be fine as far as totally Deaf where HA never worked or never had any hearing since birth. But someone who could hear a little into childhood or so, I don't see that as completely or culturally Deaf... more late deafened in my opinion.

Soooooooo what IS the differences between Deaf, HOH, Late deafened then if they are ALL gonna be thrown into one bucket then? they are not all the same and different degrees of hearing loss... Born Deaf is Born with no hearing whatsoever, nada, zip, nope ! You cant twist it to your likings, facts.
I am referring to audiological standards. Late deafened means that someone has lost their hearing after a particular time. Someone can be prelingually deaf (meaning they had a hearing loss before they learned language), peri-lingually deaf (meaning they lost their hearing during childhood, while they were learning language) or post-lingually deaf (meaning they lost their hearing after they learned language).

Hearing loss can be categorized by severity. Mild hearing loss would be 15-40 db. Moderate would be 40-55 db. Moderately Severe would be 55-70 db. Severe is 70-90, and a profound hearing loss would be anything above 90 db. *I* categorize anything above 70 db as "deaf" because they would be a candidate for a cochlear implant. Others might not until 90 db. Even at 110 db (the loudest that can be measured without vibration) it is likely that someone would have some residual hearing.

What she said. just replace 1.5 years with around 2-2.5 years (I don't have an exact date.

Never cared for the drilling down to define so finely what is or isn't deaf or not- deaf could be an umbrella term for all the others for all I care- HOH, mild, moderate, severe, profound.

I know of at least two..no three people who have 'deaf & dead' (not literally) ears...and are basically unilateral hearing aid users. No I have no idea what their audiograms look like. I know for a fact though that with one, it IS completely deaf now after she had major surgery to deal with her vertigo- the VIIth nerve was cut since she had no measurable hearing in that ear anyway... this was in the 80s though.

Because back in the 1980s, I wasn't picking up any sounds or hearing anything... Parents didn't noticed it until I was 2 years old when they're wondering why I wasn't talking or picking up any sounds. So at 2 years old I was fitted a hearing aids. (I was born as preemie baby, so I would have been Deaf when I was born.) Back in those days there wasn't a hearing test right after you were born in hospital... They're different times. Like in year 2000s yes there's hearing test right after the baby is born in hospital..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back