Politicans support gay rights..

racheleggert

Reaction score
Hey Peeps, I wonder if anyone of your legislators or elected officials are gay or lesbian or they support GLBT rights?

I do have friends in Minnesota Legislature that are Gay and Lesbian.... They been dating their partners for long time, also I have some friends on Minneapolis City Council that are gays.. St. Paul doesn't have any GLBT people on their city council, that is sad.. St. Paul school board has one person who is gay on the board.

racheleggert said:
Hey Peeps, I wonder if anyone of your legislators or elected officials are gay or lesbian or they support GLBT rights?

I do have friends in Minnesota Legislature that are Gay and Lesbian.... They been dating their partners for long time, also I have some friends on Minneapolis City Council that are gays.. St. Paul doesn't have any GLBT people on their city council, that is sad.. St. Paul school board has one person who is gay on the board.

Hey does General Wesley Clark count? He supports gay rights, gay marriages, and gays in the military.

Interesting guy considering being a career Army officer running for President ;)

AFAIK for Knoxville and Tennessee I dont recall any gays, and lesbians being members of my locality's governments. Perhaps I should check the Politics section of my newspapers more closer since I follow National politics than local politics.

I know there are some openly gay politicians and plenty of gay supporting politicians in and around Atlanta, I am familiar with two gay politicians: State Representative Karla Drenner and Cathy Woolard - Atlanta City Council President (I believe same position as a Vice-Mayor.)

ON THE NET

Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund: http://www.victoryfund.org

FACTS AND FIGURES

Some facts and figures regarding openly gay and lesbian elected officials in the United States:

NUMBERS: Of 511,039 elected federal, state and local officials, 218 are openly gay or lesbian. Of the group, 149 are men, 69 women; 207 are Democrats, 11 Republicans. Three serve in the U.S. House, 47 are state legislators, and the rest are local officials.

CONGRESS: The openly gay members of Congress are Reps. Barney Frank, D-Mass.; Jim Kolbe, R-Ariz.; and Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis. A Maine legislator, Susan Longley, hoped to join Baldwin as the second uncloseted lesbian in Congress, but narrowly lost the Democratic primary June 11.

MAYORS: Tempe, Ariz., population 158,000, is the largest city with an openly gay mayor. An openly gay candidate lost a runoff election June 4 in his bid to become mayor of Long Beach, Calif., population 461,000.

LEGISLATORS: Noteworthy gay legislators include Illinois state Rep. Larry McKeon, who is HIV positive; state Rep. Glen Maxey, who is stepping down after 10 years as the only openly gay legislator in Texas; and Carol Midgen, who is leaving her San Francisco-area assembly seat to run for statewide office.

Source: Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund.

Back