Police: Kidnap suspect used tunnels and hideouts

Y

Reaction score
newt1.1715.suspect.ap.jpg

Police: Kidnap suspect used tunnels and hideouts
A man charged with kidnapping a teen was already wanted on a sexual misconduct warrant, law enforcement officials said. The 14-year-old victim was found hidden in a 15-foot-deep hole. The bunker had a hand-dug privy with toilet paper, a camp stove and shelves made with cut branches and canvas

Filyaw, 37, will be charged with kidnapping, possession of an incendiary device and impersonating an officer, McCaskill said.

Shoaf was kidnapped September 6 after getting off a school bus
in this rural area 10 miles northeast of Columbia.

Investigators said Filyaw posed as a police officer when he met Shoaf and the girl was walked around in the woods by her captor until she became disoriented. He used handmade grenades and a flare gun to threaten her while she was in the bunker, McCaskill said.

FULL STORY
CNN.com - Suspect arrested in bunker kidnapping case - Sep 17, 2006

• Gallery: The booby-trapped bunker

• 'Ugly scene' in bunker prison

• How authorities caught him

gal.shoaf.ap.jpg

02.bunker.ap.jpg

03.inside.ap.jpg

04.stove.ap.jpg

05.tp.ap.jpg

06.ladder.ap.jpg

07.shelves.ap.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, the guy needs life imprisonment...no ifs, whats, or buts. A real sicko in my book.

Oh my God... that guy should be hanged!!!!

I feel the same way but he did not do a capital crime (the potential was there but they got her alive...which was a good thing) and therefore would not get death no matter what.

That man made me sick in my stomach. He should be shot :mad:
I am glad to see that the girl got out alive.

That is one very sick guy !!!!!!!!! He ought to be machine gunned to death !!!!!!! Put him in front of the war veterans who are fathers or grandfathers themselves and they will blow him away !!!!!!!!

WTF !!!!!!!! Using military training to threaten a small girl with grenades !!!!!!!! :pissed:

I don't blame the family for wanting to keep their daughter safe, here is what the CNN article said .....

On Sunday, the driveway in front of Shoaf's home was decorated with "Welcome Home" balloons.

The father of one of Shoaf's best friends came by Sunday morning to check on things. He had been with the family Saturday when the girl was found and said they were all doing well considering the circumstances.

"They just want some time alone with their daughter," Leo Lampart said.

Filyaw's yard was overgrown with weeds Sunday morning, and no one answered the door.

A handwritten sign was still attached to an open gate leading into the backyard. It read: "Anyone who tries to get past this gate will be shot. No questions asked. This includes cops."

The word "cops" was underlined three times.

This is the second South Carolina case this year involving an abducted teenage girl taken to an underground hideout.

That is why law enforcement take police impersation very seriously. The uniform of a police officer carries alots of power and responsiblity.

When that is abused by a " fake cop " during the commission of the crime. It really damages the victim's confidence in police officers, as well as making the general public nervous for a while until things settle down and there are no more " fake cops ".

That sick evil guy should be shot period.

Hes a sicko!!! But he lived like Saddam did when the marines found him in IRAQ.

Totally disgusting. :mad:

I'm afraid there will be more victims discovered. He was previously charged with other attacks that haven't yet been resolved.

Hes a sicko!!! But he lived like Saddam did when the marines found him in IRAQ.

Hi Buckdodgers just F.Y.I. it was not the U.S. Marines that found Saddam.

It was the U.S. Army of the 4th Infantry Division who found Saddam hiding in a tunnel in a very small building right off the Tigris-Euphrates River.

I'm impressed with this guy's survival skills. Unfortunately he's overstepped his boundaries using the skills to support his twisted needs.

He's younger than me and looks older than me LOL

Richard

I know several people in the Appalachian Mountains that do live in tunnels that they dug themselves and use what God provided them. They do not have to pay for apartment rent or anything like that and in some instances I have seen a complete bathtub moved into the tunnel so that they can bathe and use deep steel pots to boil hot water that was collected from rainwater and pour in the bathtub then they have a place to sleep some do have a real bedroom because they put wood on the floor then hammered wood on the walls then the ceiling so that no dirt or anything can come through and they have a clean real mattress complete with real warm blankets and real pillows, in some cases I have seen down comforter blankets and I have seen clothes drawers just like you see at home in your bedroom and a nice bookcase, not like a messy bookcase but a clean, neat and a nice bookcase for daily reading. The tunnel is very well ventilated and not like some of the poor tunnels that are constructed in a real hurry. They have about a year worth supplies and in some tunnels I have seen have 5 year worth of supplies. They wake up at 5:00 A.M. and go to work then come home to their tunnel and they live year-round there. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life and they do not use the tunnels for the wrong purposes at all. This story will certainly give the tunnel dwellers a bad name and people think are they criminals or something bad going on. The vast majority of the tunnel dwellers are normal hard working honest people who know that pretty soon we will be in a battle for America's soul especially since 9/11/01. There are some tunnel dwellers that have been living underground for 20, 30 or 40 years and they had dug tunnels way before 9/11 happened. I can tell you tunnel dwellers are usually honest hard working people who live in peace.

Back