PND Sufferers

bumpsy

Reaction score
Are there any here?

Abbreviations, we don't always know it... paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea. Had to stretch that out...

well there is that but no , I mean Post Natal Depression :)

I should have put that in the first post , apologies.

I've had post natal depression since my 2nd child and was wondering if others have it on here

I'm glad that you explained that. I thought it meant "post nasal drip", and I was going to respond, "yes." But post natal--no.

Oh, isn't that the same as PPD? Postpartum Syndrome?

The very same. unfortunate for me I've had it for 10 months at the very least and some days are more of a struggle than others.

Since having Violet I have a low self esteem, I end up in tears for no reason, if its a hard day with the children I feel like a failure and most days I don't actually want to get out of bed, I've been at a low low point where dark poetry emerges and its horrible. When I'm around people I smile and be a dutiful mother, when i'm on my own I don't want to be alive if that makes sense. I'm on anti depressents for it, and these take the edge of how I feel thankfully.

The problem with PND and when you tell people about it is they think its a mental state thing, whereas its not, the hormone balance after giving birth is has not been balanced out and it prevents you from controlling your body and emotions like pre-birth.

I love my girls so dearly and I wouldn't be without them. I really do want to stop feeling like this though.

Since having Violet I have a low self esteem, I end up in tears for no reason, if its a hard day with the children I feel like a failure and most days I don't actually want to get out of bed, I've been at a low low point where dark poetry emerges and its horrible. When I'm around people I smile and be a dutiful mother, when i'm on my own I don't want to be alive if that makes sense. I'm on anti depressents for it, and these take the edge of how I feel thankfully.

The problem with PND and when you tell people about it is they think its a mental state thing, whereas its not, the hormone balance after giving birth is has not been balanced out and it prevents you from controlling your body and emotions like pre-birth.

I love my girls so dearly and I wouldn't be without them. I really do want to stop feeling like this though.
Try thinking positive.

Think about the good things that have happened to you. You have kids that you love. You have a home with a loving family. You have friends. Those are the things that you should be happy and thankful for.

Even I get depressed, but I think positive. While bad things may happen to me, I think about the good things that I have.

I have a few very good friends that I would rather have over a hundred "just friends". I have parents who love me.

While my parents aren't very deaf-friendly, I'm still glad that I have a brother and sister who are very deaf friendly. That's something that I look forward to. :)

thank you :)

I do take one day at a time and see where it goes. I'm from a hearing family myself. My parents are not so bothered, they acknowledge i'm deaf but not to the extreme of understanding, but we get by. I love them really lol

My sister is learning sign language slowly because she has now seen my daughters signing :)

The only downfall of having PND is my family don't believe me and think its a load of rubbish

ahh well can't have it all can we lol

here's my little wiggle for the day !

My eldest daughter had PND when her son was born 7 years ago and was admitted to a Psychiatric Hospital for about a month as it was very severe. You might all think what? ... a psychiatric hospital ... but the staff were wonderful. Granted they do get some weirdos there but my daughter was not one of them.

She was given medication for a chemical imbalance and it took a few goes to make it right ... had to keep taking medication for about 18 months. Now 5 years later, she's still healthy with no ill-effects.

I had mild PND with this above daughter 29 years ago and had to do it alone as PND was an unknown condition. At that time, I didn't know what it was until years later. I then had 2 more children but no PND at all.

Try if you can attend a support group? ... with deaf mothers, if any? There are helps available and with good support most women make a full recovery. There are also lots of PND's real-life stories on Google.

PND is preventable and curable ... it is a condition that can be fixed. :)

Thanks for the reply ozzie. I am in contact with a number of pnd mums but none are deaf. I live in a town with numerous deaf people but none my age and none that have children.

and currently Violet (the 10 month old) is talking to her hand and has me giggling!! Its the little things like that that makes it worthwhile

I totally understand how people will think it's crazy to have such effect after giving birth (babies make you dolally?!!!) lol

I'm glad you're daughter and yourself are well now, I look forward to the day I can wake up and feel happy too :)

thank you :)

I do take one day at a time and see where it goes. I'm from a hearing family myself. My parents are not so bothered, they acknowledge i'm deaf but not to the extreme of understanding, but we get by. I love them really lol

My sister is learning sign language slowly because she has now seen my daughters signing :)

The only downfall of having PND is my family don't believe me and think its a load of rubbish

ahh well can't have it all can we lol

here's my little wiggle for the day !
Maybe, your parents were looking at it as an excuse or a way of getting attention? :dunno:

Sometimes, people deny things when it seems obvious that it isn't the issue.

For instance, I have a broken arm and my dad asks me to get the newspaper for him. "But dad, my arm is broken!" *giving him sad eyes* It's just a broken arm, I still have another good functioning arm. The newspaper is on the kitchen table 5 feet away from me and my dad is laying on the couch 5 feet away behind me.

When or how did you tell your parents? Maybe the timing was wrong? Did you actually ask for 30 minutes with your parents where you can sit alone with them and have a serious talk? That might be a good way to get their full attention. When asking them for their time, don't tell them what you're going to talk about until after you all have sat down.

Me: "Mom... Dad... can I have 30 minutes of your time? It's important to me."
(make sure it's on a day where nothing is planned such as a family gathering or outing so that there's no excuse to not talk)
Parents: "Umm... okay. About what?"
Me: "Let's sit down first, okay? Thanks."
*everyone sits down*

Now, you have their attention... you can talk. :)

Thanks for the reply ozzie. I am in contact with a number of pnd mums but none are deaf. I live in a town with numerous deaf people but none my age and none that have children.

and currently Violet (the 10 month old) is talking to her hand and has me giggling!! Its the little things like that that makes it worthwhile

I totally understand how people will think it's crazy to have such effect after giving birth (babies make you dolally?!!!) lol

I'm glad you're daughter and yourself are well now, I look forward to the day I can wake up and feel happy too :)
That's a very positive attitude that I'm glad you're having.

Hope things will get better for you. I remember I used to have baby blue for few months then it went away. I guess I miss being having a baby inside of me and attached to me, once they were out of me, they no longer inside of me. I missed that but now after 22 years, I forgot what it feels alike. :)

yes i had it after having my born then dead and stillborn (one was born alive but die 10 minutes later and other one was a stillborn had to explain so u will know what i mean) twin sons in 1995, then my son TJ in 1999. It was the low points of my life. crying for no reason and having to deal with household chores, and babies.. being single mother was no fun. :( It was hard for me. then after having my stillborn daughter in 2002- it was even worse as i was moody and cranky. crying and bitching etc.

I am still going thru depression since 11 ys old. I dont think i will ever get out of it. jeez. :(

Back