Plug for Sonic

November Gypsy

Reaction score
Since I started going deaf relatively recently, I am still new to some of the oddities of human behavior on that point. For instance, I didn't realize that a lot of drive-through food places will give you trouble if you ask to order at the window. I've tried to order at the window (instead of through the microphone, which doesn't allow me to read lips) and been told to go around again and order through the microphone. No joke. Obviously, I gave up on it, I don't have a huge sense of ego, but even I won't take that. But today, I was hungary. Really hungry. I had errands to run, my baby was in the car, and I didn't have time to grab something from home (even if I'd had something to grab)...so I braved a drive-through again for the first time in a year without a hearing person in the car (excluding, of course, my baby). I went to Sonic. Not only was the guy really kind, but he spoke clearly and slowly so I could easily read his lips, he motioned things to make what he was saying clearer, and he was all around just pleasant. It was reallllyyyy nice. He gave me no trouble about ordering at the window (I know you can have carhops come out, but my Sonic also has a drive through window...since it was cold this morning, I didn't want to make the carhops come out). I reallly really really appreicated it. So, anyway.....thought ya'll would appriecate that! :D

I think that is great! I think people should contact fast food corporation home office to tell that story and let them know how rude some of their employees are and how they get more business with better customer service by following Sonic's example. I don't think I have hearing loss but I do hear high pitch and static over voices and sometimes I can't hear at drive-up and sometimes I get frustrated and leave.

That's great to hear.

I've never really had problems cuz the people at the window are friendly.

Most of the drive-thrus that I go to have display screens that shows what you ordered. Helps me a lot.

With Sonic, I sometimes go to the front and tell them I want to order in person. :)

The display screen doesn't do much good when they ask a question and they always ask a "Do you want..." question.

I remember having worked the window at Starke's Mcdonalds and having a Deaf person come up to the window. Knocked me off my schedule a little, but I did have her order sent up to the second window after that. What really made me laugh was the first window person asking if we had braille menus. I thought that only belonged in joke boards online.

It's interesting. I always just go in to order if I am alone with no hearing person. Never been to Sonic alone.

Well, maybe it's just this area. But I've had trouble at a couple different fast-food places. It really bothered me, which is why I was so delighted by Sonic's general kindess.

I dont do drive thrus, I just go inside and get the order to go.

I dont do drive thrus, I just go inside and get the order to go.

Yeah, that would be easier, wouldn't it? But, you see, in the instances that I use drive throughs, I have my baby in the car, and it's no fun getting her out of the carseat, carrying her in, waiting, ordering, waiting, and then getting her back in the seat while not spilling food. But, when I don't have her, I go inside.

I use the drive thru...never go inside unless we want to eat inside.....for those of us that cannot speak at the intercom should have it written down ahead of time.

I use the drive thru...never go inside unless we want to eat inside.....for those of us that cannot speak at the intercom should have it written down ahead of time.

Where I am they won't take orders at the window at any fast food I know of.

The only alternative is just to order inside and get the food to go.

I have noticed that the drive throughs here at like mcdonalds have a sign on the drive through window that they can help deaf or hard of hearing people and I asked the person what they do to help and they said they had no idea how they can help. very comforting isn't it lol.

I have noticed that the drive throughs here at like mcdonalds have a sign on the drive through window that they can help deaf or hard of hearing people and I asked the person what they do to help and they said they had no idea how they can help. very comforting isn't it lol.

Aw. That's so silly. Well, we love you anyway. *Smiles* They don't have signs like that where I live that I have ever noticed...granted...I don't always notice things I should.

I tell you, the lack of people knowing ASL makes me more and more want to be an interpreter that way I can be more help to everyone.

I tell you, the lack of people knowing ASL makes me more and more want to be an interpreter that way I can be more help to everyone.

But it still won't solve the drive thru problem! :P

They need touch screens and it would be easy for everyone.

I use a wheelchair, so those rare times when I want fast food or coffee, I don't want to get in my chair, drop my van lift, get out, cross the lot, maneuver through doors, just to get to the order window. Most drive-throughs in my area are quite accomodating. Last week, though, I stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee. I waited for 5 cars ahead of me. I got to the window, ordered, and was told I had to drive around again while they got my coffee ready. I told them that was discrimination since I'd already waited, and they had no accomodations for me to order. When they refused, I left without paying (and alas, without my caffeine...).

Needless to say, I won't be back to that restaurant again, and I share my story with everyone in that area! If I didn't affect their morals, maybe I can affect their income...

I use a wheelchair, so those rare times when I want fast food or coffee, I don't want to get in my chair, drop my van lift, get out, cross the lot, maneuver through doors, just to get to the order window. Most drive-throughs in my area are quite accomodating. Last week, though, I stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee. I waited for 5 cars ahead of me. I got to the window, ordered, and was told I had to drive around again while they got my coffee ready. I told them that was discrimination since I'd already waited, and they had no accomodations for me to order. When they refused, I left without paying (and alas, without my caffeine...).

Needless to say, I won't be back to that restaurant again, and I share my story with everyone in that area! If I didn't affect their morals, maybe I can affect their income...

Good Job!!! That is exactly what they need. maybe it would make them realize that they need to dramatically change.

I never bother with drive-throughs. I go in every single time, no matter what.

Not only that depending on how 'backed-up' they are at the restaurant, they probably wouldn't even start your order anyway until you payed at the window.

Although you left, I would have requested to speak to their supervisor and manager. Rattle them a bit, and let them know that they must give fair accomodations to all of their customers. Asking a customer to drive around again is like asking a customer to order again, because by the time you get back to the window they've either forgot about you or there will be a new person running the drive-thru. If they still refuse, then you need to file a formal complaint with the foodchain. Most places have a 1-800 number posted on the drive-thru window as well as a TTY number. If there is no 1-800 number posted then google the franchise on the Internet and file a formal complaint that way. Make sure you note the store number, city, state, time of day, the names of the waitstaff, their supervisor, and the store manager, and describe the incident in as much detail as you can as coherently as you can. Be short and to the point but also detail the frustration you felt as a devalued customer.

Some of the bigger chains may reward your complaint with a coupon for a free meal, and if it's crappy enough service, they may have some people fired or re-trained and you may get free meals for a year. (yay for you).

Back