Please recommend me a cell phone for text messaging

DVDFreaker

Reaction score
Please reccomend me a cell phone for text messaging, I might want a cell phone for Christmas but the problem is that last time nobody pages me which fucking sucks, haha, hopefully if I get a cell phone for Christmas, I can post the text message adress to page me to talk or whatever, keep in mind, I don't want a pager, I want a cell phone, know any good cell phones? Oh yeah, if the cell phone has aim or aol, it would be a bonus! Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I strongly recommend the Nokia 6800. You can get those from T-mobile. It's a cell phone that opens up to a standard QWERTY keyboard. You can buy your regular phone plan and add $5 for unlimited internet/download/sounds/wallpaper/etc and add $7 for 1,000 text-messaging.

My concern is your location says in the Middle of Nowhere. T-Mobile has some of the best phones for this but their coverage is very limited to Metro areas.

If cost isn't too much of an issue, a Blackberry on Verizon will give you most coverage and good text abilities.

VamPyroX said:
I strongly recommend the Nokia 6800. You can get those from T-mobile. It's a cell phone that opens up to a standard QWERTY keyboard. You can buy your regular phone plan and add $5 for unlimited internet/download/sounds/wallpaper/etc and add $7 for 1,000 text-messaging.

I was looking at the new Nokia 6820 and it looks sweet, the Nokia 6800 looks good too but I want the Nokia 6820 but it's pretty expensive though but it's very nice.

The problem here is that you don't give us what other priorities you are looking for with your phone -- are you looking for good coverage, cheap purchase price, cheap monthly plan, high number of text messages, custom text message address (i.e., 5555555555@messaging.sprintpcs.com vs DVDFreaker@sprintpcs.com), full size keyboard on phone, graphics, camera, phone size (i.e., flip phone or PDA phone) or even how well it vibrates. Lots of questions from me, at least.

Dennis said:
The problem here is that you don't give us what other priorities you are looking for with your phone -- are you looking for good coverage, cheap purchase price, cheap monthly plan, high number of text messages, custom text message address (i.e., 5555555555@messaging.sprintpcs.com vs DVDFreaker@sprintpcs.com), full size keyboard on phone, graphics, camera, phone size (i.e., flip phone or PDA phone) or even how well it vibrates. Lots of questions from me, at least.

All of them, hahahaha

if your family uses Verizon, you could get a kyocera cell phone with unlimited text message only for 20 bucks a month.

works for me. =)

VamPyroX said:
Blackberry and Ogo are not cell phones.

I know, but for text messaging, you can't really get better...after all, what use for a cell phone does a deaf person have? Unless you can hear on the phone, you really have no reason for a voice feature. You'd probably save money on many plans if you specify you're only looking for a text-friendly phone. Whereas, Blackberry would have text messaging, email, internet (for relay) and other features that can be used to a deaf person's advantage. From what I understand, Ogo is similar, but relies on email and IM's (not sure about internet) and is much, much cheaper. AND, they both have keyboards. :)

Maybe u could check out the Motorola A630, but that isn't out yet, it will be under T-mobile and cingular wireless carriers. :)

If you really ONLY want to text message and don't need the cell phone or the internet part...I recommend the Motorola T900 2-Way Text Pager. I have had mine for several months now and have been very happy with it's service. It's small, cute (us girls like cute things...lol), and can be clipped to a belt or pocket, etc...and has a strong vibrate mode to let you know when you have a message.

I recently travelled from the Atlanta, Georgia area to Biloxi, Mississippi and I still got all my messages the whole weekend that I was away. It also gives me news headlines, weather, etc...(I really didn't need that, but it came with it)

About the only drawback I have found (and there may be a workaround to this and if someone knows of one, PLEASE let me know) is that people have to be online or have a text-messaging enabled phone to send you messages. In other words, I haven't found a relay service where people can call and give an operator a message and have them send it to your text pager.

Anyway, the T900 is pretty cheap, and in some cases and depending on what plan/carrier you use...it can be free, and I pay about $20 a month (US) and get 1000 messages per month...which is more than enough for me.

JanEllenBall said:
If you really ONLY want to text message and don't need the cell phone or the internet part...I recommend the Motorola T900 2-Way Text Pager. I have had mine for several months now and have been very happy with it's service. It's small, cute (us girls like cute things...lol), and can be clipped to a belt or pocket, etc...and has a strong vibrate mode to let you know when you have a message.

I recently travelled from the Atlanta, Georgia area to Biloxi, Mississippi and I still got all my messages the whole weekend that I was away. It also gives me news headlines, weather, etc...(I really didn't need that, but it came with it)

About the only drawback I have found (and there may be a workaround to this and if someone knows of one, PLEASE let me know) is that people have to be online or have a text-messaging enabled phone to send you messages. In other words, I haven't found a relay service where people can call and give an operator a message and have them send it to your text pager.

Anyway, the T900 is pretty cheap, and in some cases and depending on what plan/carrier you use...it can be free, and I pay about $20 a month (US) and get 1000 messages per month...which is more than enough for me.

I had the T-900 Motorla pager before, that one sucked!

I use the Nokia 7250i and it suits me just fine. Have SMS (text) capabilities and access to the internet via WAP.
I just hope that one day soon that the Sidekick will be made available in Australia...at least, the Blackberry one is now available here...thinking of getting that one. :)

For the T-900 question, you want "Voice Disptch", if your provider doesnt offer it, google for it. Some third party providers do it as well, but its costly :dunno:

JanEllenBall said:
Wow, really? I haven't had any problems with mine. What about it did you not like?

Because it doesn't have unlimited text, I still have to pay more $$$ if I go over the text limit. :thumbd:

DVDFreaker said:
I was looking at the new Nokia 6820 and it looks sweet, the Nokia 6800 looks good too but I want the Nokia 6820 but it's pretty expensive though but it's very nice.

I have Nokia 6820, and I love it. How much is it over there in the US?

Miss-Delectable said:
I have Nokia 6820, and I love it. How much is it over there in the US?

Really? You can talk on the phone? Cool, on www.amazon.com, it's $249 bucks but I'm going to look around and see if I can find it cheaper...

Back