Please read this!

I have identical twins. The deaf one is left handed and the hearing one is right handed

A statistically significant relationship between congenital deafness and left-handedness has been demonstrated. This is an abstract only. A subscription to the PubMed library is required to retrieve the full-text article.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I appreciate all the responses! It seems that the highest percentage of left-handeness resides in the severe-profound deafness range, but a lot more info. will need to be found first to verify this. Thanks for the link to that article Levenion!

i am rite hand but i use left for ART stuff i am hoh and my best friend is left hand she better hoh than me and use rite for ART stuff.
we both in honor art class =)

Right handed and profoundly deaf .... :)

Right-handed...Hoh (...and not a pain in da azz...well...most of the times..heh heh)

Right-handed, born hearing and became deaf when I was 8 months old.
Ugh..I wish I was hearing guy.

right-handed, profound hearing loss.
my husband is left-handed and profound hearing loss as well.

I dont think this is a good study because thisis biased. How do you explain for the hearing people who are left-handed? I think there are more left-handed in general because it is not looked down now.
In 50s , they would force a left-handed student to learn right because being a "left" was wrong.

So with the "discrimination" lifted, more people are naturally left-handed.

The paper was not that great, I agree, but it had one interesting point, which was that preferential hearing during development helps determine what handedness you are. It is a hard topic to study but, who knows what things can be revealed upon closer examinations.....

Aber said:
Hi!,
I have been wondering for a while if there are more left handed people among deaf people then right handed people. From my experiences I have noticed a trend of left handed people. I want to figure out if I'm crazy or not. So if you could reply to this saying whether you are right handed or left handed. It would also be helpful to state your degree of hearing loss.
Thanks!
Abe
by the was I am left handed with severe/profound hearing loss

Right handed (ambidextrous) and I'm profoundly deaf.

I am profoundly Deaf and ambidextrous. My Dad is hard of hearing, he is left handed.

Last edited:
Back