Please Read!!! NEED HELP!

Why was the father awarded custody? A mother almost always wins unless there is some major problem with her.

(I am a person whose father had custody for a good reason)

Bottesini,

She is trying to prevent him from having custody, He wants the son back to save on child support.

That is what I gather from the first post.

Bottesini,

She is trying to prevent him from having custody, He wants the son back to save on child support.

That is what I gather from the first post.

I read that. I worry about us all throwing support behind a stranger when we don't know the facts.

We don't know why a judge chose the father for custody in the first place.

I am the mother of a deaf 9 year old son. I am going through a custody battle and I need help getting the judge to understand the importance of raising a deaf child. I learned my child was deaf when he was 1 yrs old and I immediately learned and taught him sign language. When he was three I implanted him so he could have all options. I continued to sign to him. He is now 9 and does want to wear the Implant due to headaches, he said he would rather sign with mom. The problem is their father is trying t o take them to save on child support. He never learned to sign and cannot communicate with our son. He has signed our other son up for sports and such but not the youngest because he can't communicate well enough to know what he wants to do. He also forces him to wear the implant. My baby wants to come home so badly and misses the close communication with me. I am hoping to get as many letters as I can from people expressing the importance of a deaf child living with a parent that he can communicate with. I also take him to deaf events and have deaf adult friends as role models for him. I sign him up for sports and can interpret whenever needed. Please HELP! Letters can be sent to lovin_holland@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Amber Shannon

I think it be better to get a center for deaf HOH people to help you and a lawyer , maybe a center for independent living can help find a lawyer that work with disable people . I do not think get letter from us would help.
If your go to church could see if your minister could write a letter for you .
How about your son school can they help you?

I read that. I worry about us all throwing support behind a stranger when we don't know the facts.

We don't know why a judge chose the father for custody in the first place.
I'm with you. This all seems very hurried and the situation is not clear. If the OP does interact with the local deaf community, as she says, it seems she could get more meaningful support from them than strangers on the internet. I think a judge would give more weight to the testimony of local deaf adults than faceless emails.

Of course, we all hope the best for the child.

I let them stay with him while I moved. They only had a few weeks of school left and didnt want to move them. He filed court papers and never served me. I have NEVER missed a known court date.

... how did that happen? A summons has to be signed, by the person who is summoned...

or at least that's the only why I saw it... I'd write a letter of complaint.... possibly forgery? (If whattamom's name is on the docs)

@ Bottesini - yeah its like that in FL, mom gets custody unless there is powerful evidence of her being unfit, I thought I posted when I first saw the topic asking what state she was in but I must have had a server issue.

I am the mother of a deaf 9 year old son. I am going through a custody battle and I need help getting the judge to understand the importance of raising a deaf child. I learned my child was deaf when he was 1 yrs old and I immediately learned and taught him sign language. When he was three I implanted him so he could have all options. I continued to sign to him. He is now 9 and does want to wear the Implant due to headaches, he said he would rather sign with mom. The problem is their father is trying t o take them to save on child support. He never learned to sign and cannot communicate with our son. He has signed our other son up for sports and such but not the youngest because he can't communicate well enough to know what he wants to do. He also forces him to wear the implant. My baby wants to come home so badly and misses the close communication with me. I am hoping to get as many letters as I can from people expressing the importance of a deaf child living with a parent that he can communicate with. I also take him to deaf events and have deaf adult friends as role models for him. I sign him up for sports and can interpret whenever needed. Please HELP! Letters can be sent to lovin_holland@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Amber Shannon

Honestly, whattamom, the letters from internet such as this forum may not sway the judge. HOWEVER, since you stated that you take him to the deaf events and have deaf adults friends as role models. Your lawyer could use them to testify the real reason why your son needs the communication access, hence the lack of communication between your son and his dad.
The biggest problem is your ex is a police officer, that may be a problematic since the court may know him well. I stress the word, Maybe. I would urge you to tell your lawyer to ask for continuance until your lawyer rounds up the deaf role models that your son had met and talked with for the testimonies.
Also, make sure your lawyer stress an uttermost important on getting an interpreter for your son. I hope your lawyer could show some demonstration to show the judge by telling your ex to try to communication with your son without interpreter to show how difficult it is.
I wish you lots of luck. Keep us posted.

Back