Please Help!!!!

Curiouslearners

Reaction score
Hello,
Me and my friend are both hearing ASL three students. We are working on a project dealing with Deaf benefits. We would like to know your perspective on this. How do you think the Deaf community or just ASL in general has benefited the world? :cool2:

We would be very greatful to get Deaf insight. :ty:

I do appreciate people in general who wants and tries hard to learn ASL. I've a great deal of respect for people who wants to learn ASL for personal needs as compared to professional needs.

Hello,
Me and my friend are both hearing ASL three students. We are working on a project dealing with Deaf benefits. We would like to know your perspective on this. How do you think the Deaf community or just ASL in general has benefited the world? :cool2:

We would be very greatful to get Deaf insight. :ty:

We gave the world baseball signs.

I do appreciate people in general who wants and tries hard to learn ASL. I've a great deal of respect for people who wants to learn ASL for personal needs as compared to professional needs.

Thank you very much for saying that. My friend and I are happy to know you feel that way. :D To be perfectly honest, we were so nervous of offending people since we are still learning and don't know much about the Deaf community yet. But, I assure you, we are trying to learn as much as we can. Thank you for your time!

Thank you very much for saying that. My friend and I are happy to know you feel that way. :D To be perfectly honest, we were so nervous of offending people since we are still learning and don't know much about the Deaf community yet. But, I assure you, we are trying to learn as much as we can. Thank you for your time!

Why are people so afraid of us? It's not like we have a contagious disease. We are people just like everyone else. We are just like anyone else you might meet. You just might need to communicate with some of us a little differently than you are used to. That's all. We are not some mystical being that will suck your life force away. (as much fun as that might be)

We gave the world baseball signs.

Speaking of that. Yesterday on my way to the lunch room I was thinking about my upcoming ASL class. Across the large room I was walking through, I saw a guy making gestures. My first thought was ASL, then realized he was doing baseball signs. :lol:

Why are people so afraid of us? It's not like we have a contagious disease. We are people just like everyone else. We are just like anyone else you might meet. You just might need to communicate with some of us a little differently than you are used to. That's all. We are not some mystical being that will suck your life force away. (as much fun as that might be)

Maybe they lurked on AD for a while and saw some posts that scared them. :shock:

CuriousLearners: There are actually some great documentaries out there all about deaf contributions (and sign language contributions) to the world. Go onto Netflicks, Hulu, or just do a google search for 'Deaf Documentaries' and I'm sure you'll find some. I forget the name of the one I saw recently but it was all about the history of the evolution of sign language- it was amazing.

i honestly dont know why, but my opinion i think deafness is considered a gift. And i do agree with you, your just people who use their hands to talk, (which is normal) :)

i honestly dont know why, but my opinion i think deafness is considered a gift. And i do agree with you, your just people who use their hands to talk, (which is normal) :)

How would know if deafness is a gift if you're hearing? I am HOH and I do not considered it a gift! I would had rather been born hearing so I would had gotten a better education!

So, deafness is a gift, a CI is a miracle... Boy oh boy it must be so wonderful to be me. Tell u what, wanna trade places for a while? Let's see you handle the day to day activities. I Spent my whole life figuring out how to do everything with no guide or "big brother" to help me. I've done pretty good for myself. I doubt after a week in my shoes you would still be saying this. I did it because there was no choice. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Then I must be one of the strongest men on earth!!! A gift? No. A life style, okay.

It's really hard to walk in someone's shoes if there is no way to put those shoes on.

Umm...interesting thing to say that deafness is a gift. How the grass seems greener on the other side. I always say there is pro and con in every side. For example, many of us can sleep better at night or able to do work faster due to our deafness. Yet, we seems to missed out a lot by being deaf.

I know that my only and hearing sister would not consider being deaf is a gift; nor she consider being hearing is a gift. She loves to go to movie with me. However, she find being with bunch of people with various range of hearing loss annoying due to various noise from the audience. Yet, she become one pissy lady when she hears complains from hearing people about open captions. She sometimes tell to to pick different time if the caption bother them that much and point out that we (deaf/hoh) folks don't get much choice far as time or which movie to see that is caption. Usually a certian movie that is caption will show up at movie theatre for a week with strange time slots.

No way in hell. Is deafness a gift !!!!!! That is only. An overly sentimental attitude. Deafness is something people have to deal with. The gift may be in how individuals deal with it. I sure would not wish a deafness GIFT on any soul

Back