Please help

competes2win

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a hearing college student working on a thesis project in order to graduate. My topic is deaf job discrimination, and I'm working closely with my ASL professor. It would help me if you guys can answer some of these questions for me out of your own experiences. Thanks so much for your help in advance. I know that this may be a lot of questions, so even if you only feel like answering some of them, it will be a big help for me.

1. What was it like growing up being deaf?
2. Did you go through hard times because you were deaf?
3. What school did you go to?
4. Was your school a mainstream public school or a special school for the deaf?
5. Do you have a job now?
6. What types of jobs did you have before?
7. Do you think that it is harder to earn a good job being deaf?
8. Do you think it is harder to earn a good education being deaf?
9. What places have you lived before?
10. Did you notice any differences between how people treated you in those places?
11. Have you ever been treated badly by a boss or other people you have worked with?

Hello, I'm a hearing college student working on a thesis project in order to graduate. My topic is deaf job discrimination, and I'm working closely with my ASL professor. It would help me if you guys can answer some of these questions for me out of your own experiences. Thanks so much for your help in advance. I know that this may be a lot of questions, so even if you only feel like answering some of them, it will be a big help for me.

10. Did you notice any differences between how people treated you in those places?
11. Have you ever been treated badly by a boss or other people you have worked with?

I wish but i can't give my privacy info out on this site but i can send you private message for sum info then

I wish but i can't give my privacy info out on this site but i can send you private message for sum info then

Of course, I didn't think about the privacy issue. My fault. For those of you who want to reply to this but don't want to do it publicly please just send me a private message on this site, email me at mjk0886@gmail.com, or even IM me through AIM my screen name is competes2win . Thanks and sorry about that.

I'll answer your questions.

1. Very few friends.
2. I accepted myself, it's the other kids that had a problem with it.
3. Public.
4. Mainstream.
5. Yes, I think I still have it.
6. Driving a schoolbus, semi truck, collections, skip tracing.
7. Very.
8. Yes. When I was in hs, the student support services and I fought all the time and that was only for my teacher's aide in learning how to type. I couldn't even get a note taker, so that was out a long time before.
9. Various places around the USA.
10. The places that I've been treated with respect I can count on one hand. The others, no. Bible college was the worst, although I know you didn't ask about college experiences. I'm in a public university now and like it quite well.

I'll answer your questions.

1. Very few friends.
2. I accepted myself, it's the other kids that had a problem with it.
3. Public.
4. Mainstream.
5. Yes, I think I still have it.
6. Driving a schoolbus, semi truck, collections, skip tracing.
7. Very.
8. Yes. When I was in hs, the student support services and I fought all the time and that was only for my teacher's aide in learning how to type. I couldn't even get a note taker, so that was out a long time before.
9. Various places around the USA.
10. The places that I've been treated with respect I can count on one hand. The others, no. Bible college was the worst, although I know you didn't ask about college experiences. I'm in a public university now and like it quite well.

Thanks for helping. Sorry I didn't see this before!

so quiet
early yes, later no
best educaiton, my parents gave me
mainstream
yes
tough job
yes
yes
small town
somewhere yes
quite yes

so quiet
early yes, later no
best educaiton, my parents gave me
mainstream
yes
tough job
yes
yes
small town
somewhere yes
quite yes

Thanks for the reply PowerON!!

Can anyone comment on what they know about the difference between the north and south and the difference in job opportunities. my deaf friend said that things are better in the north, can anyone agree with this?

Thanks guys.

Also if someone can maybe describe some reasons why it's hard to get a good education being deaf... language barrier? not enough programs? too much money? thanks.

Replying

Frustrating, quiet, left out, rewarding afterwards...

At times, yes

regular school

mainstream all the way thru til my graduation with Deaf/HH program (the last two years of High School, I was not part of D/HH program because I became the only deaf person in the school)

Yup! :)

Mental Health field

I've been blessed so far...

I have had some hard time when I was in college to get an interpreter! After a while, I finally got an interpreter for my classes in college.

I've lived in several states

They didn't really pay much attention to me, but yea I'd get stared at.

No, I have not been treated badly... most of the times I've been treated pretty well... again, I've been blessed so far. If there may be a bad time, I'll just stay postive! :)

Hope that helps :) Take care!

I'm hoh ... I'd be willing to answer your questions, if you think they'd be helpful ? or are you looking for +90db R&L people only ??

Tough cuz I was taught that being deaf is a terrible thing
Yes and it was all uneccessary
Not going to reveal the name of the school I went here..
mainstreamed

Yes
Insurance clerk, bookkeeper, fast food restuarant cook, courier, receptionist, resident counselor
It depends on the field and the level of discrimination in that particular field..in my field, being deaf has no impact.
No
AZ, Boston and MD
No cuz in every place there is always going to be people who treat others good and people who treat others badly
Not badly but treated like a 2nd class citizen. Mostly I was ignored.

First of all I want to thank everyone that has commented so far.

Second, I see that my thread has been moved from the ADA section. This is appropriate, and I'm sorry for placing in the wrong place first. I had thought the discussion may consist of ADA related stuff but it ended up not...

Third, I have now heard people say that it is harder to get a good education being deaf and others have said it is not any harder getting an education being deaf. Can you guys please let me know what you think about this?

I ask because in my paper I say how many deaf may not get a good education, contributing to possible job discrimination later on. Your thoughts?

And again email me at mjk0886@gmail.com or even IM me on AIM my screen name is competes2win, so contact me if you don't feel comfortable speaking on the forum.

Thanks.

I was born Hoh - sometimes it was hard because I didn't get the support services, or family support I needed, and because I was isolated from other hoh & Deaf people ... otherwise I think I had a very normal childhood
In school yes - because I didn't get the proper support, and my parents were misled by the "professionals" about how my hearing loss might impact me educationally and socially - because of that my parent's thought I had "selective hearing" more than hearing loss (I'm profoundly deaf on one side, and have hearing loss on the other side as well) I think that was the hardest part, that my parent's weren't my support system at all
mainstreamed (without support, only preferential seating) through out K-College
4. Was your school a mainstream public school or a special school for the deaf? mainstream
I'm currently a full time student
after the first time at college -I was a repair Tech for 11 years, then I went back to college last year
Yes and No ... I think it's difficult sometimes to educate hearing people who aren't used to working with hoh/deaf that we can do anything hearing people can, except hear ... Personally. I think had an easier time than a lot of people though because I have "good speech" , which somehow many hearing people equate (wrongly) with hoh/deaf level of intelligence - of course the down side of good speech is that they don't understand that I'm hoh/Deaf ... it'a all a balancing act really ...
In principle & with the proper access to support services - no ... I've been blessed with a FABULOUS disability services dept. at college!! so personally once I decided to use the services that were available ... it's been fine. I think that no knowing how to properly advocate for services, and being close minded to utilizing multiple communication strategies can make it harder to get a good education
I grew up in Manitoba, and also lived for a year in MN while I was at College ( I took a 1 year intensive diploma program there)
Comparing city to city ... my home city in Manitoba has better support services (access to interpreters, Deaf Awareness etc - however the USA relay system is MUCH better than in Canada.
11. Have you ever been treated badly by a boss or other people you have worked with?badly, no ... however I find myself constantly educating people, co-workers, friends, family, professors, classmates about the "basics" of hearing loss, hoh/deaf norms (attention getting techniques etc) ASL, and reminding them that Db loss is NOT connected to IQ - they aren't intentionally rude, just ignorant. That being said - I faced more discrimination in the USA than I have in Canada ( if I had to make a general statement)

HTH

@ AniJ : Thanks for the very thorough reply to my questions. Very helpful.

Great that you were able to compare the USA and Canada a bit, that's interesting. Also many of your answers seemed to confirm a lot of my beliefs and predictions that perhaps a lot of the discrimination that exists could be combated against simply by educating hearing people better about things such as a Deaf/hoh person's abilities. On the other hand I also think its a good idea to educate the deaf as well, because I've been hearing accounts of the Deaf people not knowing the possible programs/services available to them.

@ AniJ : Thanks for the very thorough reply to my questions. Very helpful.

Great that you were able to compare the USA and Canada a bit, that's interesting. Also many of your answers seemed to confirm a lot of my beliefs and predictions that perhaps a lot of the discrimination that exists could be combated against simply by educating hearing people better about things such as a Deaf/hoh person's abilities. On the other hand I also think its a good idea to educate the deaf as well, because I've been hearing accounts of the Deaf people not knowing the possible programs/services available to them.

Yes - there's a huge need for education both ways !!

I was unsure of what services were available to me until the Disability Service dept told me! In fact if I had of known I probably would have gone back to university/college MUCH sooner !! (when I was at college in the USA I didn't get any support services)

Yes - there's a huge need for education both ways !!

I was unsure of what services were available to me until the Disability Service dept told me! In fact if I had of known I probably would have gone back to university/college MUCH sooner !! (when I was at college in the USA I didn't get any support services)

I just have a general question, more out of curiosity than anything else... it might be different for you since your hoh rather than deaf, (or it might be the same i just don't know) but for a deaf person in college, do they go to class with everyone else and an interpretor stands up front with the teacher? or is there some other solution?

I'm "just one of the students" nothing different than the hearing students when it comes to "how I attend class". I elect to voice for myself in class - unless I'm struggling with a concept I understand better in ASL ... then they will jump in and voice for me. It is assumed that if I am signing ... it is to my interpreters (and not to be voiced to the class) UNLESS I begin my signed statement with something like "VOICE FOR-ME PLEASE"....)

My interpreters ( I have 2 per class who trade off ever 20mins) sit/stand either right by the teacher, or if we're in a circle they sit so I can see them face on. The exact set up depends on how the seating is.
P=Prof, T= Terp, S= Student, M=Me
seating.JPG

The set up is identical if I was Hoh, or R&L profoundly deaf.

The only thing that would be different is that I use my hearing to pick up some of what the Prof is saying as well ... so I take that into account when picking seats.

Something that might be of interest to you is that sometimes I pick seats that are the WORST for my hearing and turn my HA off (which puts me well out of voice range hearing wise) ~ this is the case for teachers with accents that I struggle with ... turning "off" allows me to eliminate all the sound and focus on my interpreters.

I tell my 'terps if I'm going "off" so they know that I might need additional interpretation of sounds, and if I'm going to speak that they should tell me if I need to raise or lower my voice to be heard - we flip back and forth very easily though.

HTH !

Last edited:

1. well it was like growing up as other kids except I couldnt hear and there were visits to the audiologist and sitting in dimly lit booths clicking a button everytime I heard a beep.
2. somewhat - but nothing traumatic. I mean yeah I got picked on for not being able to hear and being 'dumb' because I wasnt getting the same information everyone else was.
3. I went to a public school
4. I went to a mainstream public school K-12.
5. Yes I have a job now.
6. Ive had all sorts of jobs- I worked for the local newspaper, worked in food service, janitorial jobs, and currently factory work.
7. yes because once you tell them that you are deaf or HOH then they dont take you as seriously sometimes.
8. yes because you have to ask for accomodations some schools are good about it and others are not, which is bad even though there is a federal law that gaurantees us access to a fair and decent education. Some educators will dumb down the material for you to the point that your'e really not learning anything, and some will simply not take you seriously thinking you'll just miss the information anyway and eventually drop out.
9. Ive lived in dormitories, trailers, on my own, and currently with my parents due to a lack of money to make it on my own at present despite a factory job.
10. yeah - my parents were like lock everything down super tight when your alone because you can't hear, or they have the neighbors constantly driving by making sure your'e still alive. Sometimes the neighbors shy away from you completely because you are deaf, almost like they might contract deafness like its a bad thing or whatnot.
11. yes - I had a boss constantly on my tail because I couldnt hear. Finally I just had enough and quit on the spot.

lonely and scary at times
Yep some of the time
mostly mainstreamed into a public school - Dad was in the Army so we traveled all over US and did live in Germany for a while
See above
5. Do you have a job now? Yep
6. What types of jobs did you have before? retail, tax preparer; teacher
7. Do you think that it is harder to earn a good job being deaf? Yes
8. Do you think it is harder to earn a good education being deaf? No
9. What places have you lived before? See above
10. Did you notice any differences between how people treated you in those places? Nope
Yep

My project is nearing it's completion. I have a question though for all who responded... Would you allow me to cite chosen quotes from your responses? I will cite using your screennames, as well as by providing a link to this thread, your privacy will remain.

If any of you who responded to my initial question please let me know that would be great.

Thanks.

Back