please help

deafJar

Reaction score
i went to the dentist and had a root canal done and i had my hearing aid on and i don't know if it might of got wet in the process.
i am worried and i am noticing not much difference when i am turning my hearing aid up and i have a 45 db loss in my left ear. i need help to know what to do and anything else that you can tell me and is there any places to not wear hearing aids to? help me to know more about this stuff so i don't do anything wrong. :gpost: :deaf:

Being a former HA wearer (now CI), I can give some tips...

HAs are tougher than you think but they can easily suffer from water damage. I dropped mine one time into the swimming pool (long story)...not something I recommend. :thumb: Anyway, I retrieved it quickly and dried it out and put it into my dry and store container. The HA was fine and a big "WHEW".

First, use your common sense. Avoid activities and wearing a HA that may get it wet especially when things can get out of hand. An example is washing the car and then get into a water battle. ;)

Another example is be aware of sprinklers as they can hit you when you least expect it. Also, watch for imminent rain or storms. I wear baseball hats most of the time and they served me well when it started to rain. I just turn the hat brim around to cover it and find a way to get out of rain.

Don't just jump into showers or baths (not as bad but could be) forgetting you have it on. I had that happen a couple of times where I was about in and remembered in time. Of course, the pool is another such worry. :mrgreen:

After a while, it becomes second nature to you.

Now with my CI, I still do the same "defensive" thinking to avoid any unpleasant surprises. I have been doing this forever...you too will figure it out.

It becomes a habit, and you wont be even knowing that you took your hearing aids out automaticly.

After wearing hearing aids for the last 18 years, and after a couple of accidents, like jumping in the pool or in the shower. Or being playing water balloon fight with friends or sibling etc, I had become so used to taking them out when i am going in water of any sort that i dont even have to remember. I am sure you will do the same eventually.

As for the root canel thing with hearing aids, I dont think the process itself would harm it, but if water had gotten into it then you should dry it before using it again.

Another advice to hearing aids wearer, check your pocket before throwing pants in the laundry. ;)

sr171soars said:
Being a former HA wearer (now CI), I can give some tips...

HAs are tougher than you think but they can easily suffer from water damage. I dropped mine one time into the swimming pool (long story)...not something I recommend. :thumb: Anyway, I retrieved it quickly and dried it out and put it into my dry and store container. The HA was fine and a big "WHEW".

First, use your common sense. Avoid activities and wearing a HA that may get it wet especially when things can get out of hand. An example is washing the car and then get into a water battle. ;)

Another example is be aware of sprinklers as they can hit you when you least expect it. Also, watch for imminent rain or storms. I wear baseball hats most of the time and they served me well when it started to rain. I just turn the hat brim around to cover it and find a way to get out of rain.

Don't just jump into showers or baths (not as bad but could be) forgetting you have it on. I had that happen a couple of times where I was about in and remembered in time. Of course, the pool is another such worry. :mrgreen:

After a while, it becomes second nature to you.

Now with my CI, I still do the same "defensive" thinking to avoid any unpleasant surprises. I have been doing this forever...you too will figure it out.

i wear hearing aids... i agree with you :)

Back