Please Help Urge L'Oréal Not to Air Cruel Monkey Commercial

BLeGal2

Reaction score
Please go to the link and submit the ALREADY WRITTEN letter to this product company if you would like to help out non-human primates. The letter is already written and you can even add in your own comments to the letter. Please help out.

Article:

Urge L'Oréal Not to Air Cruel Monkey Commercial

L'Oréal recently filmed a television commercial that features a capuchin monkey 'actor.' Monkeys used for entertainment and advertising are subjected to horrifying cruelty. They are typically torn away from their mothers at birth, causing irreparable psychological harm, and forced to live in highly unnatural and often deplorable conditions. Even the best-known trainers are frequently cited by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for violating the Animal Welfare Act, which establishes only minimal guidelines for animal care.

After they are no longer profitable to their trainers (when they reach maturity and can no longer be easily handled), monkeys are often discarded at seedy roadside zoos or spend the remainder of their long lives in horrifying conditions in basements, garages, or backyards. Some species live into their 50s and may spend decades in these conditions.

According to L'Oréal, the American Humane Association (AHA) was on set during filming, but the agency only monitors animals when they are on set and does nothing to prevent behind-the-scenes abuse and neglect. The AHA does not monitor pre-production training, the living conditions of animals, the premature separation of babies from their mothers, or the disposition of animals when they are no longer useful to trainers.

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advoca...y_enews&JServSessionIdr004=s8rxsvz6q1.app332a

Peta campaign huh?

Curious, why you think this is worse than the captive populations of greater apes being analyzed and taught sign language?

Peta campaign huh?

Curious, why you think this is worse than the captive populations of greater apes being analyzed and taught sign language?

Actually I don't care for PETA too much, I got the link from Primate Patrol. I am against non-human primates used in entertainment because they are trained by conditioning them with abuse to do tricks. The apes that have been taught sign language happened over 4 decades ago (I wasn't even alive), and besides that the scientists didn't know the negative affects of taking them out of their natural home then. Now they do, so none are being taken out for sign language research and haven't been since the late 70s. I am also against all primates in Biomedical labs, and am currently working along side Release the Apes to get all of the pulled out and placed in sanctuaries.

Using Apes for humans benefits in any way is bad. Biomed and entertainment is the worst, because the signing chimps were not abused, whereas the others were. That is why this is worse than using them in ASL research-esp since new research subjects haven't been used in decades.

Disagree with you there on the signing apes. Living prisoners in an unnatural environment is abuse no matter how you look at it.

Disagree with you there on the signing apes. Living prisoners in an unnatural environment is abuse no matter how you look at it.

They are not physically abused, and if you met them, trust me they have a great life, yes it is not a free living life, but it is better than what 4 of the 5 chimps would have had. 4 of them were born in to biomedical labs and were RESCUED by their now foster parents. Only one was taken from the wild, and it wasn't even by them, it was by NASA, so the life that they have now is the best life that they could have had, since they cannot be placed in the wild having never been there. The environment that they live in is natural to them, they grew up just like human kids did, they don't know free living because of the government allowing captive breeding (one thing that my faculty does not support). If you met the apes or even just did some simple research (friendsofwashoe.org) you would understand that they have the best life that was possible for them--their foster parents literally saved their lives.

They are not physically abused, and if you met them, trust me they have a great life, yes it is not a free living life, but it is better than what 4 of the 5 chimps would have had. 4 of them were born in to biomedical labs and were RESCUED by their now foster parents. Only one was taken from the wild, and it wasn't even by them, it was by NASA, so the life that they have now is the best life that they could have had, since they cannot be placed in the wild having never been there. The environment that they live in is natural to them, they grew up just like human kids did, they don't know free living because of the government allowing captive breeding (one thing that my faculty does not support). If you met the apes or even just did some simple research (friendsofwashoe.org) you would understand that they have the best life that was possible for them--their foster parents literally saved their lives.

Surprised you don't understand that I am quite widely read.

Surprised you don't understand that I am quite widely read.

so you know then that Loulis, Tatu, Dar, and Moja were taken OUT of biomed for the project--which is lucky for them because otherwise they would have been injected with all kinds of crap and kept in the damn small biomed cages, and that Washoe was rescued from NASA, so she would have been forced into space and trained by electric shock buttons--BUT LUCKILY the Gardners saved them all, and they had the best life possible, since they could not be free living chimps. It was the best life they could have had. None of them had the option of being free living

Excuse me for a bit. I feel the urge to go spank my monkey now. I shall return shortly.

so you know then that Loulis, Tatu, Dar, and Moja were taken OUT of biomed for the project--which is lucky for them because otherwise they would have been injected with all kinds of crap and kept in the damn small biomed cages, and that Washoe was rescued from NASA, so she would have been forced into space and trained by electric shock buttons--BUT LUCKILY the Gardners saved them all, and they had the best life possible, since they could not be free living chimps. It was the best life they could have had. None of them had the option of being free living

I disagree about best life.

Do you know about Nim Chimpsky, Steven Pinker, etc??

Two wrongs does not make a right! If i was able to free froma cage and/or imprisonment a chimp or ape, i would make damn sure it was really free. To say it is not possible for one to have the option, is to say the freed black slaves in america could not be truly free.

Two wrongs does not make a right! If i was able to free froma cage and/or imprisonment a chimp or ape, i would make damn sure it was really free. To say it is not possible for one to have the option, is to say the freed black slaves in america could not be truly free.

Yes. Non caged sanctuaries are far more humane for animals that can not be returned to the wild.

You can not compare this to black slaves in america! Its not even comparable! Chimpanzees, esp, live in socialized groups. They do not accept outsiders. And any chimps that was not raised in the wild will not survive back in the wild, because they didn't grow up with the culture. Mothers pass down and teach their infants how to survive in the wild. A biomed, entertainment, and research chimp CAN'T be re-released into the wild for two main reasons:

1. They will not know what the hell they are doing

2. They will not be accepted by the others. Chimps, especially, are very territorial, and will KILL any new comer who doesn't know "the ropes"

Releasing chimps into the wild has been attempting: She survived 6 months, was NOT accepted by the local chimp communities, she saw a human, since she knew them from biomed and research she approached them and they killed her and sold her meat. They also tried other chimps, and even set up a sanctuary to help teach the chimps "the ropes" it failed, numerous chimps that were released after learning "the ropes" also were killed, but by other chimps. Now the sanctuary just keeps the chimps, so that they can at least live.

You cannot compare this to black slaves, god it just blows my mind that you would even think that you could. Black slaves still knew how to live in their
"natural" world when segregation and all that crap was occurring, so once they became free the only difference was they could go anywhere and do what they wanted. NOTHING AT ALL LIKE THIS. Chimps in biomed, research, and in entertainment never learn the chimp life traits that they would in a free living situation. In biomed they are kept in small ass cages and injected constantly, in entertainment they live years without ever even seeing another chimp, and in research they, at my work, were raised like humans. NONE would survive in the wild. AND PLENTY OF STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE TO PROVE THIS.

I disagree about best life.

Do you know about Nim Chimpsky, Steven Pinker, etc??

DO tell me what you think the best option for the signing chimps would be? Cause I would love to fucking know. Nim is in a sanctuary in FL right now. Re-release is not an option. YES IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IS THE BIOMED LABS DIDN'T CAPTURE THE CHIMPS IN THE BEGINNING AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF NASA WOULD HAVE LEFT WASHOE ALONE, BUT THEY DIDN'T AND THE GARDNER'S RESCUED THEM FROM DECADES OF MISTREATMENT

DO tell me what you think the best option for the signing chimps would be? Cause I would love to fucking know. Nim is in a sanctuary in FL right now. Re-release is not an option. YES IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IS THE BIOMED LABS DIDN'T CAPTURE THE CHIMPS IN THE BEGINNING AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF NASA WOULD HAVE LEFT WASHOE ALONE, BUT THEY DIDN'T AND THE GARDNER'S RESCUED THEM FROM DECADES OF MISTREATMENT

Potty mouth!

I have already indicated non caged sanctuaries would be my choice.

But now our discussion is at an end as you don't seem to be able to carry on a civilized discussion.

Potty mouth!

I have already indicated non caged sanctuaries would be my choice.

But now our discussion is at an end as you don't seem to be able to carry on a civilized discussion.

YES sactuaries! THE SIGNING CHIMPS ARE IN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone asked them if they wanted to be there? :hmm:

yes they sign to us all the time. They tell us if they want out. They even tell us if they want to go to dairy queen. we have full communication with them. They love their home and defend it from strangers. Loulis is the only one that is scared of the outside world, the others know it and tell us if they want out.

yes they sign to us all the time. They tell us if they want out. They even tell us if they want to go to dairy queen. we have full communication with them. They love their home and defend it from strangers. Loulis is the only one that is scared of the outside world, the others know it and tell us if they want out.

That is so cool if they do that. I can tell you have a passion for them, and my hat is off to you. I confess I do not know much about this subject, but I am learning. :)

BLeGal2 - are you a friend of dreama?

That is so cool if they do that. I can tell you have a passion for them, and my hat is off to you. I confess I do not know much about this subject, but I am learning. :)

Thanks I do. Its nice to actually have someone respect my opinion of them on here- My hat off to you too. The first time I got to sign with one I was flabbergasted by their signing skills and intelligence. A tech was with me, and she said my face lit up with a smile and amazement. It was a moment I will never forget.

If your interested in learning about the primates that learned ASL, read Next of Kin. Washoe's human brother who raised her, Roger Fouts, wrote the book. He has arranged his life around Washoe's since the 60s. Or if your ever in Ellensburg WA, about 2 hours east of Seattle, we give educational tours of the sanctuary where we focus on asl, free living chimps, biomed, culture, and then of course our chimps. :) Thanks for your respect, you have mine in return.

Back