Please Help Me...

AquaBlue

Reaction score
In my ASL class I asked my Deaf teacher about local Deaf gatherings (so as to practice my signing and make new friends) and he recommended getting a good web cam and joining in with the Deaf online.

Now I do not know the first thing about Internet Deaf gatherings, nor which web cam to get, so please help me get started. Thanks!

have you tried Camfrog ?? There's also just hopping online with other ASL users one on one and chatting - ooVoo, viable vision, skype, etc all will allow you to view video feed via webcam ... it's important that you invest in a high res. camera if at all possible to help with the "blurr factor" ...

how are classes going ? which level are you in again ? and what text are you using ?

I am going back to the basics...but...I am learning a ton thanks to my deaf teacher. I love it. ABC book mainly. Important grammar stuff to learn w/ that text. I personally think the Sighning Natuarally series is number one. It's so expensive though.

what about looking up deaf coffee chat ?? usually held in starbucks....once or twice a month depending on where u live....if youre in the md area...then go to gallaudet university...and make friends from there....

Soon Will downloads with oovoo and camfrog :fingersx: but first fixing with my computer does frozens with webcam and person will help me :D

Thanks gang! Now, What is the best webcam I can purchased for under $50?

Will these Logitech cams be good enough?

QuickCam® Communicate MP
QuickCam® Communicate STX

1759.1.0.jpg

I found my old webcam but when I hook-it-up, the video moves in slow motion- at least that's the effect. Also, I am using a wireless connection to the Internet. Can that fact be a problem as well?

AB - for what it's worth - I recently gave my older (45$) webcam to my mum (so she can chat with me) and got a new microsoft vx-7000 (on sale 80$) the difference is well worth the money if there's any way you can afford it (eat KD for a few weeks, or something ?)

If you want a clear picture I'd recommend something that says "high definition" for video ... this means that it will meet a minimum set of criteria and will almost certainly make your investment MUCH more beneficial.

Yes - wireless can be more fussy than a hardwired CAT5E cable. If possible try running a physical line (most wireless's have RJ45 ports on the back) and see if it makes a difference - it might, it might not.

Once you're hooked up - let us know.

Jclarke - do you own it? If you do, couple questions - is the video "seamless" and very smooth?

I don't have it unfortunately, I was looking at buying it but unfortunately, it is currently at $149 and I believe it is the best webcam which it can be excellent for videophone calls. But I have purchased Mircosfot LifeCam VX 3000 as my VP for my TV and it is working very well. I will get that QuickCam Pro 9000 later on when the price is reasonable.

as for wireless, I am on wirreless and I used it whenever I make a VP call, I don't have a problem with it

This is good information, as I have a cheap-o lousy cam right now which allows me no decent sign language communication at all (having V.P. at work has spoiled me, too!!!). I'm really glad I read these posts; now I know what to look for!!! Thanks!

Back