Please help me understand the bsl in this video?

Julia Hilliker

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Julia and I go to school in Alberta, Canada majoring in social work. I have been assigned to find an example of discrimination against someone with a sensory disability, and I want to comment about this video:

However, I do not know BSL and was wondering if someone who knows it would be kind enough to tell me what each character is signing (mostly the men). This might help with my commentary on the video.

Since there are no captions I will write a transcript of the video once I've posted this and will provide it below for those who wish to understand the skit.

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Man: Thank you, I bought it last week.
0:05
Man: Allie!
Allie: Hello, I heard you were here!
Man: Do you know David?
Allie: No, hello, I'm Allie.
0:17
Allie: Film.
(studio laughter)
0:21
Allie: How many words?
(more studio laughter)
Man: No.
Allie: Oh. Book?
0:30
Allie: Slow down! Do the whole thing!
0:36
Allie: Psycho.
Man: He's deaf.
Allie: My left foot!
Man: No, he's deaf.
Allie: Yeah, right, god, no, yeah, god, no, yeah I... I didn't mean... sorry, can you tell him I didn't mean...?
Man: You can tell him yourself.
Allie: Right... So... Hellooo...
(studio laughter)
Allie: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. (sighs, hmmms)
Allie: Are you.... "tired"? I'm... "tired". I'm... going to go to bed... now. Downstairs.

The woman doesn't recognize that the man is deaf and is signing to his friend. The woman thinks that they're playing charades. The hearing man explains to her that the other guy is deaf. When she finally understands that they're signing and not playing charades, she's embarrassed and doesn't know how to respond. She tried to communicate with the deaf guy thru gestures, not signs. After her awkward attempt she says she's tired and is going off to bed downstairs, slinking off.

Reba can you tell me whether the men in the video are actually signing anything, and if so, what are they signing? I am hearing but I cannot understand sign language. Thanks

The only signing I caught was the guy in the black sweater- he was telling his friend to tell the woman that he is deaf. As far as I know that is the BSL sign for deaf.

Reba can you tell me whether the men in the video are actually signing anything, and if so, what are they signing? I am hearing but I cannot understand sign language. Thanks
I don't know BSL.

Back