Please help me make choices : )

springtime

Reaction score
Hello, I figured there is a wealth of experience here to tap! :wave:

I'm trying to decide whether to get a hearing aid, and wondering if I'm getting taken for too much $ on one.

I have otosclerosis, and tinnitus, in my left ear and my hearing is significantly diminished in the mid-low tones in that ear. My right ear is still fine. My ENT and my audiologist recommends a HA for the left ear. (for backround on me, I'm 38, a busy working mom, and I am having problems hearing at work and at home).

Audi recommened Starkey aid, OTE, cost $2700 :eek3: of which my insurance covers exactly $0. So it would all be cash. I 'can' pay it, but of course this means $2700 less for my family's use (college-bound kid, old cars, old house, ect...).

Is there a cheaper type that might serve my need? Is that actually a good choice? (it was wonderful, during the consultation-like I had never lost hearing and it drowned out the ringing too).

So, friends, talk me into a HA, or, out of one :lol: I've been thinking about it for over a month.

You don't say which Starkey model. Otosclerosis will progess, and you will lose more hearing. So read at Starkey's website.

Make sure if you buy there is room for more power later.

The brochure says the S Series 9 (active).

The audi says it can be reprogrammed as my hearing diminishes.

I'm still struggling on an emotional level with that, just typing it is tough : ( I think it's why I can't seem to decide.

I know many folks here have much more severe loss and issues. I don't mean to whine.

The brochure says the S Series 9 (active).

The audi says it can be reprogrammed as my hearing diminishes.

I'm still struggling on an emotional level with that, just typing it is tough : ( I think it's why I can't seem to decide.

I know many folks here have much more severe loss and issues. I don't mean to whine.

Don't worry about that. It's okay to be sad. You should just buy it. Probably it will make your transition easier.

Oh, just looked up that aid. I see open fit. That is only good for mild loss.

I think see a different audi or you must trade soon.

Is it a good brand and price? I see a lot of people here mention 'Phonak'.

Thank you, Bottsini : ) I appreciate the replies, and will check back later, as I have to run now.

Phonak and Oticon are both good hearing aid manufacturers. But keep in mind that digital hearing aids will be expensive, even for just a single HA.

I use Starkey, and I had an open fit Zon 7, my hearind loss has progressed and had to pay for new ones a year later. Id get one that allows for much higher loss. I have the Starkey Destiny 1200s the power ones. Starkey makes great products and they are worth the money if you have any questions let me know.

Somewhere in here, my posts about making an appt at Costco hearing aid center disappeared!

Anyhow-I went on Thursday. They have the little soundproof booth plopped right down in the store by the tv's. lol. The audi was a nice younger lady, who is non-comminsioned, meaning she works for Costco, not the HA companies.

She did the testing, which came out exactly the same as at my ENT's-right ear is normal, left ear is moderate loss. She went over options, then I decided to test a Rexon Cobalt 16 BTE open fit. She put the test one on and programmed it and says, go walk around Costco for about half an hour and see how you feel.

Wow, it was wild! I could hear fans running, kids crying, someone scraping the floor, forklifts beeping-which is so different from the mmrmrrrrrmrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmrrrrrr sound that I was hearing when we got there (Costco is noisy and I was hearing it all together rather than individual noises). I could understand DH when we spoke to me while walking at my left side.

I ended up ordering one, it is $1300, included batteries, a dryer, and extended warranty. Costco also has 90 day try out period. She ordered me a brown unit, to match my hair. It will come in a week or so. It's the Rexton Cobalt 16, it has room for adjustment (as my loss progresses) and you can even order a more powerful receiver tube for $45, if needed in the future, so I should get long use out of it. I'm happy I decided to do this!

Thank you all here for your help and input! It was really helpful to me!

Well, I just got the HA this morning...I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not used to the noise. When I had the car radio on (coming home) it sounded tinny at high sounds. It's supposed to take getting used to, right?

I actually have it out at the moment, because my ds is watching tv behind of me as I type, but I guess I will put it in when I go upstairs to read the manual and set up the dryer. How long does it typically take to get used to wearing a HA?

The ha, itself, is very small and comfortable.

Well, I just got the HA this morning...I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not used to the noise. When I had the car radio on (coming home) it sounded tinny at high sounds. It's supposed to take getting used to, right?

I actually have it out at the moment, because my ds is watching tv behind of me as I type, but I guess I will put it in when I go upstairs to read the manual and set up the dryer. How long does it typically take to get used to wearing a HA?

The ha, itself, is very small and comfortable.

depends on the HA, what HA's you worn in past and how long you've worn HA's before

I haven't worn a hearing aid before, this is my first one. I wonder if I should have it adjusted. It sounds kind of like a microphone at higher tones.

I'm wearing it to work today-a real test run (yesterday was my day off) and I'll see how it goes.

Congrats on your new HA. Come back and post it here after you check it out the rest of day. Hope it goes so well. =)

Wow, Friday was a trip!:shock: I wore the HA all day and it was crazy. I could hear my co-workers speaking clearly (this was good!) supervisor tapping her fingers, ceiling fans running, dogs barking, chainsaws, car brakes squealing (I work mostly outside). I was so tired by the end of the day, had a headache.

I wore it Sat and Sunday morning too, but really, the tinnyness at high tones and static at low tones drove me nuts-it's like feedback? I put it away and called the audi on Monday and am going tomorrow to get it adjusted-I think it is maybe too loud or something, especially considering that my other ear has nearly perfect hearing. I do want to get it right-I did like hearing people clearly at work, I had missed social conversations.

I'll update after my appt tomorrow :wave:

ha's usually need adjusting ...the first adjustment is usually a "general" sort of setting that may be perfect but usually isn't and it usually takes 3-4 trips to the audi to make the ha seem like its working REALLY well for your ears or ear in this case. Keep a list of everything you don't hear or don't like hearing with the ha's such as sounds, pitch, etc and bring it with you to your audi tomorrow for ur appt...describers are good too like i dont like this sound it sounds "tinny" "bassy" etc

I had my appt. and it's better now-I'm not mega-hearing everything, lol. If anything, it might even be too quiet, but I have another appt. in June so I'll make notes for any further adjustments. I also switched the 'dome' end on the HA to a slightly bigger one, and it seems to be in place better.

Back