please help me, I need a career change

gab1430

Reaction score
I am a teacher and I am deaf, my deafness is not th ebiggest problem, the pressures that are put on us lately are taking me away, added to the fact that i am losing more of my good ear. Please give me some ideas of what I could do, I need to keep making 50k to keep up with my family spenses. Pressure doesnt help my ansiety disorder. it only gets owrse when i cant hear something in a conversation. I would like to become an accountant, or maybe start a business, but what? I know I sound crazy, i feel crazy just typing this.
I have a bachellor degree in lawbut being deaf, it doesnt help me much in the legal field.
A career counselor could guide me? I am lost, all i know is I dont want to teach anymore under the current circumstances in the state of Texas. Other teachers may understand what I am talking about.

I am a teacher and I am deaf, my deafness is not th ebiggest problem, the pressures that are put on us lately are taking me away, added to the fact that i am losing more of my good ear. Please give me some ideas of what I could do, I need to keep making 50k to keep up with my family spenses. Pressure doesnt help my ansiety disorder. it only gets owrse when i cant hear something in a conversation. I would like to become an accountant, or maybe start a business, but what? I know I sound crazy, i feel crazy just typing this.
I have a bachellor degree in lawbut being deaf, it doesnt help me much in the legal field.
A career counselor could guide me? I am lost, all i know is I dont want to teach anymore under the current circumstances in the state of Texas. Other teachers may understand what I am talking about.

Why am I having a hard time believing you're a teacher?

Since you say you have a degree in law is there some way you can somehow work in law without needing to talk? I don't know much about the law field but is there some kind of position you can do that would require reading legal docs?

You could even look at the job openings on sites like indeed.com and look for anything with legal. You could even try applying to some just to see what happens. At this point you can't make your situation worse just by checking out job openings.

The problem is that without some kind of experience or a degree it's going to be almost impossible to find a 50k job.

If you re a teacher why not teach at a deaf school. Or a mainstreamed school. With a bs in law you could be a paralegal, there are deaf paralegals,, also deaf lawyers

not to mention they stated twice they were deaf but losing "more of the good ear" ... your either completely deaf or not ... or have some some degree of hearing loss otherwise ...

Since you say you have a degree in law is there some way you can somehow work in law without needing to talk? I don't know much about the law field but is there some kind of position you can do that would require reading legal docs?

You could even look at the job openings on sites like indeed.com and look for anything with legal. You could even try applying to some just to see what happens. At this point you can't make your situation worse just by checking out job openings.

The problem is that without some kind of experience or a degree it's going to be almost impossible to find a 50k job.

that's typically what a paralegal does. legal research and prep.

I am a teacher and I am deaf, my deafness is not th ebiggest problem, the pressures that are put on us lately are taking me away, added to the fact that i am losing more of my good ear. Please give me some ideas of what I could do, I need to keep making 50k to keep up with my family spenses.
then you better start reducing your family expense.

Pressure doesnt help my ansiety disorder. it only gets owrse when i cant hear something in a conversation. I would like to become an accountant, or maybe start a business, but what? I know I sound crazy, i feel crazy just typing this.
god help you.

I looked in her first post, I can see why. And I don't know what to believe, you know. She wasn't born here in America to begin with. And I think she was in panic mode, can't think straight and typing sloppy, I do that when I can't think straight. LOL.

Why am I having a hard time believing you're a teacher?

This is definitely not a place for me. You are right, English is not my first language, my hearing loss has been bad lately, that is why I call myself deaf. You are right I am not using the right terminology. Not only that, but it is also true that I wrote in panic mode while talking to my father who is in another country and suffers from dementia. If you knew my name you could look up the state salaries in Texas and would find me, but I have nothing to prove to people like you. I have always made over 50k, it is sad that you would not expect an immigrant and/or a HOH person to be able to make a living as a professional. It is ok, I know now the kind of people that answer in this forum. I hope not everyone is the same, but when you are losing your hearing, and there is no hope, you dont know ASL, and you feel lost, scared, and in a new world of silence. Given that English is not my first language, reading lips is a lot harder for me, the last thing anyone needs is the kind of answers you have given me. If you had nothing nice to say you could have kept quiet.

Who said that? This is definitely right place here, just be patience. If you want to give up, then thats too bad that you decide to be a loser. Winners don't give up that easy.

Please remember, if your truly into mess like you mention you may have to dealt with some people who wouldn't believe you right away. This is due to past abuse from those who claims to be but lied in order to collect money. Scam is really age old plot made by millions of criminals from around the world.

I had exact same problem after losing my job, it took me 2 months to prove that I have no income, so your not alone.

I understand your shock, and lost. Please remember, it is only the sense that you are losing. You have 4 other senses to use. Since you can see, your very lucky because we do have visual language that exists around the world. It is very small language really. One of them known here in American is called ASL. You may want to try start it, PATIENCE is the key because you will get mocked from time to time. This is your opportunity to find the best out of you.

I don't know your immigrant status but since you already worked for state, so likely you may be entitled to Social Security benefits. But don't expect $50K from Social Security, it won't happen. You may have to give up what you have. You are NOT alone on this one.

This is definitely not a place for me. You are right, English is not my first language, my hearing loss has been bad lately, that is why I call myself deaf. You are right I am not using the right terminology. Not only that, but it is also true that I wrote in panic mode while talking to my father who is in another country and suffers from dementia. If you knew my name you could look up the state salaries in Texas and would find me, but I have nothing to prove to people like you. I have always made over 50k, it is sad that you would not expect an immigrant and/or a HOH person to be able to make a living as a professional. It is ok, I know now the kind of people that answer in this forum. I hope not everyone is the same, but when you are losing your hearing, and there is no hope, you dont know ASL, and you feel lost, scared, and in a new world of silence. Given that English is not my first language, reading lips is a lot harder for me, the last thing anyone needs is the kind of answers you have given me. If you had nothing nice to say you could have kept quiet.

You state you are a good lip reader in your intro, but here you state youre not? Ive went from HOH to Deaf very drastically recently, and now that I am without HA I am Deaf and it is a strong burden, feeling lost, cant understand everyone. I am learning ASL but no where near being fluent, I could say this or that in small bursts, but I couldn't carry on a full blown conversation by no means yet.

I was not going to answer anymore, but I need to say thanks to diehardbiker. I am not out of work, I am sorry if that is what I implied, what i meant was I am trying to get a career change because of the pressure that I feel. I am a citizen because my husband is american. I can read lips in Spanish, no problem. In English the phonics and the way the mouth shapes words makes it harder for me, but I can get by, I think. Anyway, I am not a loser diehardbiker, if I was I would have given up already. I am just trying to figure things out before I lose my job or in case there is a point I cant do it anymore. Thanks for posting for me. I wish you the best. I am off to find a place where people arent treated the way I was here.

Hi, I am a teacher and can totally relate. I have a roommate who is deaf and is from Puerto Rico and she speaks fluent Spanish and can lipread in Spanish beautifully but when it comes to English, she is lost. Luckily, she learned ASL and is able to land a job at a deaf program working as a teacher aide.

However, deaf or not...being a teacher is very very stressful and the pressure is definitely mounting. I know how u feel.

What about learning ASL?

I believe she needs support from group of people that are related to her issues. Like Adult of latened Deafness. You can always PM her since your teacher and I think it does help.

I was hoping that she don't give up here. I know we got plenty of people here who are anal toward to hearing people that lost their hearing and don't know sign language. Really its no one's fault, many Deafies who are anal toward hearing with hearing losses usually are the ones who were left out by hearing parents that refused to learn sign language. This is kind of resentment that is really difficult to fix. And I also hope that she don't forget that there are members here that are on same boat she is on, like sonocativo for example.

Maybe Alex (Owner of AllDeaf) should set up new category here for those people who lost their hearing during adult, where there is NO mocking, no name calling no nothing, just pure positive support. I think there is AllHearing too, she can always check that forum out.

Hi, I am a teacher and can totally relate. I have a roommate who is deaf and is from Puerto Rico and she speaks fluent Spanish and can lipread in Spanish beautifully but when it comes to English, she is lost. Luckily, she learned ASL and is able to land a job at a deaf program working as a teacher aide.

However, deaf or not...being a teacher is very very stressful and the pressure is definitely mounting. I know how u feel.

What about learning ASL?

I believe she needs support from group of people that are related to her issues. Like Adult of latened Deafness. You can always PM her since your teacher and I think it does help.

I was hoping that she don't give up here. I know we got plenty of people here who are anal toward to hearing people that lost their hearing and don't know sign language. Really its no one's fault, many Deafies who are anal toward hearing with hearing losses usually are the ones who were left out by hearing parents that refused to learn sign language. This is kind of resentment that is really difficult to fix. And I also hope that she don't forget that there are members here that are on same boat she is on, like sonocativo for example.

Maybe Alex (Owner of AllDeaf) should set up new category here for those people who lost their hearing during adult, where there is NO mocking, no name calling no nothing, just pure positive support. I think there is AllHearing too, she can always check that forum out.

U know, Jillio created such a thread and she got perma banned. So much for giving people the support they needed.

Where is the name calling happening in this thread? I don't see it. Can u point it out here?

I really have no idea, but the way she respond, I knew she got offended by some ADers. I don't want to be detective figure out which members. That is not going to do any good because naturally Deafies respond like that sometimes. I admit I was one of them and I know it is not fair or right thing to do. Now, what I wanted to see is get the bridge build between Deaf and Hearing people.

What helps me realize is that after over 5 years dealing with all kinds of Deafies and Hearing people who deal with Deafies. I see both sides.

I wish I can share details but that would violate others' confidential, all I can do is share my experience and what I seen and heard on regular basis.

You can PM her, and hopefully she can feel related with you since your teacher.

I am not sure exact what happened to Jillio and still had no idea, past is past. We can't fix it but what we can do now is try to make positive change.

U know, Jillio created such a thread and she got perma banned. So much for giving people the support they needed.

Where is the name calling happening in this thread? I don't see it. Can u point it out here?

Back