Please help me help the deaf!

And really, what kind of device would warn a deaf person of running water ? I think many of us are guilty of that happening.

And really, what kind of device would warn a deaf person of running water ? I think many of us are guilty of that happening.

That's the main thing I do. Dogs usually alert me to everything else, but running water doesn't phase them.

Whoa! Talk about Hijacking!!

:giggle:

I've done same, leaving water running and etc. What I find funny is I am shocked each time I see that I left water running or etc.

I had left the bathroom and stove fan all day and I trying to think what it that damn sound ! UGH ! I can hear them when I turn my HA way up but not when it turned way down. I wish the switches lite up when you put a fans on .
Would it help to also turn on the over-the-stove light whenever you turn on the stove fan? That way, if you see the light is on you know that the fan is still on.

Our bathrooms have fans on timers. We just set the timer for whatever time we want it to run (in 5-minute increments), and it shuts off itself. There is a little green light that shows which setting it's on.

Some bathroom lights have the fan built in and get turned off and on with the light.

My vacuum cleaner has "headlights" so whenever it's running the lights are on. If the power is off, the lights don't come on.

You could keep a bright color rubber wrist band hanging on the tub faucet. Each time you turn on the faucet, slip the band on your wrist. When you turn off the faucet, take the band off your wrist and put the band back on the faucet.

This bathroom fan has both motion and dampness sensors. It's expensive but there are probably other models available for less.

"WhisperSense features Exclusive Dual Sensor technology that reacts to both motion and humidity, ensuring excess moisture is exhausted and automatically turning the fan on when needed

Built-in adjustable delay timer can be set from 30 seconds to 60 minutes and activates when motion is no longer detected or when humidity levels are below preset levels"

motion sensor fans

Would it help to also turn on the over-the-stove light whenever you turn on the stove fan? That way, if you see the light is on you know that the fan is still on.

Our bathrooms have fans on timers. We just set the timer for whatever time we want it to run (in 5-minute increments), and it shuts off itself. There is a little green light that shows which setting it's on.

Some bathroom lights have the fan built in and get turned off and on with the light.

I did have the light on too but I still left the fan . I need to post notes around the my condo reminding me to made sure I turned everything off before going out . I now check everything twice before going to me and my dog beat me to bed all the time. :giggle:

You could keep a bright color rubber wrist band hanging on the tub faucet. Each time you turn on the faucet, slip the band on your wrist. When you turn off the faucet, take the band off your wrist and put the band back on the faucet.

Will everyone remember that, though? Some turn on water to get it really hot (like to fill a pot, etc.,) or put it on to boil, and forget to come back to check on it. I've not done that, because I've learned to stay with the water until it is what I want it to be, but I have seen others post that's happened. I don't know how the wristband helps in this case.

Will everyone remember that, though? Some turn on water to get it really hot (like to fill a pot, etc.,) or put it on to boil, and forget to come back to check on it. I've not done that, because I've learned to stay with the water until it is what I want it to be, but I have seen others post that's happened. I don't know how the wristband helps in this case.
I was thinking of filling a bath tub in my example.

I was thinking of filling a bath tub in my example.

I get your point. But I'm still thinking the same, if you forget to look at the wristband the tub might end up overflowing anyway.

I'm thinking carrying an object in your hand might be more noticeable, unless you set the object down somewhere :lol:

I get your point. But I'm still thinking the same, if you forget to look at the wristband the tub might end up overflowing anyway.

I'm thinking carrying an object in your hand might be more noticeable, unless you set the object down somewhere :lol:

Maybe when you turn on a faucet in the bathroom the doors shut and lock and you can't get out until you turn off the water. :lol:

Last edited:

Well, I guess one shouldn't leave the tub unattended while filling it then. Bring something to read and sit on the toilet until it's full. :lol:

Yeah, we did kind of hijack this thread, didn't we? But hopefully the OP learns something useful from this thread for his ideas. :)

Did Tim from Germany ever come back? I think we scared him off. If people don't come back to read and respond on their OP, we get to hijack and talk about anything! :giggle:

I just occurred to me that if you spent enough I bet you could find a device that would hook over the tub, connect to the faucet, and turn the faucet off when the water got high enough to touch the control device.

Well, I guess one shouldn't leave the tub unattended while filling it then. Bring something to read and sit on the toilet until it's full. :lol:

That's exactly what I do. Get undressed, put my hair in a ponytail, get my phone ready to read from, get my towel, etc., until the tub's ready. I don't even leave the bathroom.

I just occurred to me that if you spent enough I bet you could find a device that would hook over the tub, connect to the faucet, and turn the faucet off when the water got high enough to touch the control device.

Kind of the same idea as the flapper in the toilet... ?

I know there are sensors for tub-filling alarms but they can't turn off the faucets. The mechanical action required to turn off a knob or a lever would be difficult and cumbersome.

If you're going to spend the money, simply hire someone to draw your bath for you. :giggle:

Back