Please help me choose a phone : )

springtime

Reaction score
Please :D

I'm overwhelmed, and I just don't know much about them. My situation is, I just can't hear well on my current phone. I have good hearing in my right ear, but a lot of loss in my left (I have a HA for that one) yet, I really struggle even hearing it ring (yes, it's at full volume). I don't know if it's backround noise or what, that causes me to have a hard time.

It's time in my contract with Verizon to get a new one. What is a good choice for someone with my sort of hearing? I'd like to have a loud ring and tones (for texts or missed calls), and a querty keyboard or pad so I can start texting more. I will be mostly talking on it, though. It doesn't have to be a smartphone type thing but if that's the best choice, I'll consider it.

I actually went to the Verizon store but the clerk looked at me blankly and tried to sell me a phone for the elderly! I'm HOH, not elderly LOL!:laugh2:

Any suggestions? I dont' have any other HOH or Deaf friends to ask, and my HOH dad just shouts into his cell.

Have you look at Epic or myTouch or iPhone? Do not considering buy EVO (SUCKS)

I'm considering Samsung Epic (sprint)! I've played around with it a bit and I like it! Been saving up to get that phone xD

Thanks for the suggestions! I will go to the Verizon store with this info, this week. I was going today but I guess a huge storm is coming, ugh, so I'm staying in today. I'll post what I end up getting!

If you want to avoid fragmentation get a Blackberry or iPhone.

This is the reason why many developers will not develop Android...
first_100.png

i love my bb i've tried the iPhone and I didn't like it much...but the bb is a lot better with hearing aids

Well, depend what you want to payment monthly. Better watch your budget for phone plan. :)

I been thinking of getting a cell phone , but I am worried I would lose it right away as I am getting really forgetful!! I would have to hang it around my neck!!

AT&T just announced 4G phones and completed HSPA+ in the US and still expanding more and more coverage in the US. HSPA+ is not 4G but is pretty fast for 3G. I think we will see 4G phones come out in 1st quarter of 2011. One of them is a dual core with 1 GB of RAM with Android 2.2 on it. AT&T is going to be the first mobile company to combine LTE and HSPA+ technology for 4G speeds. I'm not exactly sure how it really works, tho.

AT&T just announced 4G phones and completed HSPA+ in the US and still expanding more and more coverage in the US. HSPA+ is not 4G but is pretty fast for 3G. I think we will see 4G phones come out in 1st quarter of 2011. One of them is a dual core with 1 GB of RAM with Android 2.2 on it. AT&T is going to be the first mobile company to combine LTE and HSPA+ technology for 4G speeds. I'm not exactly sure how it really works, tho.

99 percent chance that all AT&T new 4G phone will lack or missing a front camera :D

AT&T has other android phone. It called Samsung Infuse 4G. It have 8MP rear facing camera and 1.3 MP front facing camera. Samsung Infuse 4G similar Galaxy S phones. It will coming soon. That's very nice.

I noticed some phones say 'hearing aid compatible'. What does that mean? Does it just work automatically or do you have to program it? I didn't have one last time I got a new phone.

You have to change the settings in the phone its very easy with most, then I don't know about all Ha's but with mine my audi had to program it into one of the settings, I can no longer use it personally but I didn't like it much when I could never worked great for me... I have the mytouch heard works better with blackberry

Sorry not very helpful but I'm sure someone here knows better than I do lol

Easy solution, look for smartphone that cost $500 to buy. Because it can do everything you want.

Later, you will dump it in 2 years later.

I have the ETC Hero, which i don't really like, but I do like Sprint - much better than Verizon. For $69.99 a month unlimited email, internet, texting, phone calls to other cell phones, etc. Great plan. Can't wait to get rid of the phone, though, won't be able to upgrade for another 7 months. Grrr..
If you are interested in Sprint, check your local Radio Shack. They have many different phones and plans. I just didn't want to spend a lot, and the Hero was free if I switched over to Sprint.

Fragmentation

If you want to avoid fragmentation get a Blackberry or iPhone.

This is the reason why many developers will not develop Android...
first_100.png

What is fragmentation? Also, do you know of any good VCO cell phones? I believe At&T and T Mobile are the only two companies that have VCO network capabilities. Thank you.
Bari Sanger

I have the ETC Hero, which i don't really like, but I do like Sprint - much better than Verizon. For $69.99 a month unlimited email, internet, texting, phone calls to other cell phones, etc. Great plan. Can't wait to get rid of the phone, though, won't be able to upgrade for another 7 months. Grrr..
If you are interested in Sprint, check your local Radio Shack. They have many different phones and plans. I just didn't want to spend a lot, and the Hero was free if I switched over to Sprint.

I agree with you. I don't like that Verizon is too high. But I have to see what happen the AT&T is fine. But the best Sprint is good price cost 29.95. :D

Back