Please help! Hearing/Deaf Relationship

lianne

Reaction score
Hiya! Im curently learning BSL and I have a MASSIVE crush on my tutor. He is single, funny, clever, kind ...he is ace! anyways I could really use some advice on how to proceed. There are few fundimental differences between us and, although they are not at all a problem for me, I'm worried he'll reject me because of one of them. He is 10+ years older than me and of a different ethnic origin, also, I'm hearing and he's not. Not to mention the student/teacher thing (although I'd like to point out, I am 21 and definately not a child). Would such an amazing man want to be with a younger white hearing girl like me in the first place?

Im not confident approaching guys in any situation but here I am completely out of my comfort zone. I dont even know where to start but I REALLY want to pursue it if I can.

All comments/ help greatly received. Thank you so much

Lianne

There is BSL cafe in derby if you are nearby and find someone that is not involved as anything could happen and affects either parties (you or the tutor)

Um, teacher/student relationship could be bad idea and could affect your progress in learning? But thats your decision and I wish you all the best of luck. We need more BSL inturpters.

Hey Lianne, simply start by conversing with him more in places other than the tutoring center. Once you feel you've made the connection, explore other ways of getting to know one another better. But keep in mind, like Over the Pond said, tutor/student relationships may feel pretty awkward if it doesn't go well. Good luck.

Hey Lianne, simply start by conversing with him more in places other than the tutoring center. Once you feel you've made the connection, explore other ways of getting to know one another better. But keep in mind, like Over the Pond said, tutor/student relationships may feel pretty awkward if it doesn't go well. Good luck.

What about AD relationships? :giggle: kidding

Lianne, just be careful with the tutor/student relationship hope it works out for you , best wishes!

Thank you all so much for your help. I will definately be taking your advice, I think, for now, I will just try to converse and chat to him as much as possible and perhaps take "further action" towards the end of the course (and definately after he has examined me!) and to start with, I need to learn some chat up lines first, maybe that will be tuesday's topic of conversation hehe :)

Im a bit older at 27 years of age. I wouldn't mind a hearing lady (especially one as pretty as your avatar). Just letting you know.

Oh and I'm single too. :giggle:

Hi Lianne and everyone! Sorry to gatecrash but I'm in a similar situation to Lianne (only I'm nearly 40 and should know better! :Oops:) and would be very grateful for any opinions and advice!

I started a BSL level 1 course in September, something I have always wanted but have never got around to doing before. First class, a guy came in; I think straight away "hmmm, have to try and sit next to YOU next week", only to find he is the tutor, and is deaf. After the initial hearies awkwardness of trying to get over pointing, etc (the usual hang ups that most Brits have) we have all learned so much from him. I love BSL, and want to learn more, not because of crush on tutor but I truly want to learn to communicate properly, not just muddle through. Anyway, as the course has gone on I find he looks mostly at me when explaining things and telling us stories, etc which is not good because I start to get flustered and go red and can't sign, but maybe IS good as possibly means he likes me too? :hmm: Before class starts and at break he always talks to me, and he occasionally emails me to chat during the week, only very short emails but he is helping me to find a level 2 course to continue learning. Am I really being thick here? Does he have feelings for me or am I reading too much into his friendliness/kindness? He is patient, kind, smart and funny, also cute... I don't have the confidence to ask him directly, but how can I let him know I like him without embarrassing him (and me) if I am way off? BTW he is mid-late 40s and definitely single. Other posts on other similar threads have implied that as he is deaf he probably already knows, but I am VERY good at hiding my feelings (apart from when he seems to be staring at only me :lol:)
Sorry this is such a long post but I really need to get all this off my chest and try to get some answers - I could really do with any advice or help you would be willing to offer, it's driving me nuts!
Thanks for reading (if you are still awake!) Txx

Hi Lianne and everyone! Sorry to gatecrash but I'm in a similar situation to Lianne (only I'm nearly 40 and should know better! :Oops:) and would be very grateful for any opinions and advice!

I started a BSL level 1 course in September, something I have always wanted but have never got around to doing before. First class, a guy came in; I think straight away "hmmm, have to try and sit next to YOU next week", only to find he is the tutor, and is deaf. After the initial hearies awkwardness of trying to get over pointing, etc (the usual hang ups that most Brits have) we have all learned so much from him. I love BSL, and want to learn more, not because of crush on tutor but I truly want to learn to communicate properly, not just muddle through. Anyway, as the course has gone on I find he looks mostly at me when explaining things and telling us stories, etc which is not good because I start to get flustered and go red and can't sign, but maybe IS good as possibly means he likes me too? :hmm: Before class starts and at break he always talks to me, and he occasionally emails me to chat during the week, only very short emails but he is helping me to find a level 2 course to continue learning. Am I really being thick here? Does he have feelings for me or am I reading too much into his friendliness/kindness? He is patient, kind, smart and funny, also cute... I don't have the confidence to ask him directly, but how can I let him know I like him without embarrassing him (and me) if I am way off? BTW he is mid-late 40s and definitely single. Other posts on other similar threads have implied that as he is deaf he probably already knows, but I am VERY good at hiding my feelings (apart from when he seems to be staring at only me :lol:)
Sorry this is such a long post but I really need to get all this off my chest and try to get some answers - I could really do with any advice or help you would be willing to offer, it's driving me nuts!
Thanks for reading (if you are still awake!) Txx

If you blush every time he looks at you, he probably already figured it out.

Why even ask? If he messages you during the week, if you are friendly, he will eventually ask you out.

Back