Please be gentle... I'm new...

Kalima01

Reaction score
Hi my name is Nicola.

I'm 27yrs old and live in Perth Australia - anyone else a Perthian?

I am a hearing person and I'm currently studying Certificate II Auslan...
I hope to continue on and get my diploma and look at changing careers to be an interpreter...

Please say hello and if anyone else is in Perth, I would love to practise and improve my communicative skills with you over coffee :)

Peace

Hello. I think we have at least one person from Perth. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You will learn a lot about us plus discussing about deafness, Deaf Culture and Deaf perspectives and Hard of Hearing perspectives. :)

Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hey, welcome. I too am learning in the ITP program. I would love to travel across to Australia some day :D

Welcome to AD sheila! I have a very good deaf friend who's actually from New Zealand and still remembers most of his NZ signs. I wonder how much alike the two countries are in terms of sign language??

Welcome to AD sheila! I have a very good deaf friend who's actually from New Zealand and still remembers most of his NZ signs. I wonder how much alike the two countries are in terms of sign language??

Shelia? Is that just a universal reference to women? LOL Cos it's not my name!!

Anywho, well I'd say the dilects would be different as they are different in Australia state to state!

My class learnt colours this week and the other class (I think are either Cert III or Cert IV) were even taught colours different!! EEEEEEEP!

Starting to get a little Confusing!

But yeah, would love to get together with a Deaf or HOH person in Perth, who uses Auslan to communicate, to help me - like tutoring - over coffee etc. Be nice to put some skills to use!

Shelia? Is that just a universal reference to women? LOL Cos it's not my name!!

Anywho, well I'd say the dilects would be different as they are different in Australia state to state!

My class learnt colours this week and the other class (I think are either Cert III or Cert IV) were even taught colours different!! EEEEEEEP!

Starting to get a little Confusing!

But yeah, would love to get together with a Deaf or HOH person in Perth, who uses Auslan to communicate, to help me - like tutoring - over coffee etc. Be nice to put some skills to use!

Hahahaha, no shelia is an aussie nickname for girl (bloke is boy). In US we call girls, babes, chicks, or whatever. Isn't that common down there or are you just a big city girl?

Hahahaha, no shelia is an aussie nickname for girl (bloke is boy). In US we call girls, babes, chicks, or whatever. Isn't that common down there or are you just a big city girl?

Shelia is what the "okka" people would use (Okka = VERY Australian) and no it's not used over here much except maybe the more country folk.

In Australia girls are called Chicks, Babes etc... Guys are guys, not really blokes (again unless you're okka)

Only people from the country uses them, not these people who lives in the big city.

btw, I'm an aussie from the east coast of Australia lol
Welcome to AD!

Back