Please advise...

Thi_smiletourvn

Reaction score
Dear all,

We would like to learn certain sign languages so that we can communicate with deaf and HOH people from different countries and regions.

Can anybody advise us the most popular or the most used sign language(s) in the world? What gestgured/signed language should we use to be able to communicate with people from different nationalities like English? Is there such a kind of sign language?

We are told that there are CD of sign language dictionaries which can be very handy and effective to sign language learners. When using these CDs on computers, learners just type in a letter and then the visual sign of that letter will come up on the screen. Does anybody know about such CDs? How many sign languages have been visualized in CDs like that? Can you help us to buy those CDs as we have difficulty finding them in Vietnam?

We hope to hear from you.
Thank you very much for your time and help.

Thi

At this time, there is no universal sign language. Even in the US, the vast majority of people use what many in deaf culture call "code" - Signed Exact English (SEE) or other English-based systems. In fact, there is still much dispute over whether American Sign Language (ASL) is even a language or not.

Perhaps it depends on what you seek to accomplish. There are probably interactive CD's that a person can utilize; however, there are many more resources available on the Internet, which may be to your advantage. One website is ASLPRO.COM, and they do show signs and other things. Even though ASL and SEE share many of the same signs, the main difference is the grammatical and syntax formats - but in your case, relating to Vietnam, perhaps you can find a hybrid or something conducive to your native language and culture.

If you must have a CD or a book, go to Amazon.com and type, "Sign Language Guides" (or whatever you seek).

:wave:

Paotie

There are multiple Sign langauges..

America has ASL SEE AND PSE are more english oriented that use ASL signs. And ASL is a real language. It's been used for years. SEE and PSE use ASL signs in english word order, following english grammer syntax, Thank you

Each country has it's own version of sign language.. no 2 countries use the same language. like stated, there is no offical sign language for the world. Everyone uses a different form. So your best bet is to learn whatever country you're staying in's sign langauge.

Do you have any background information on which country deaf tourists has visited your country the most? For example, if there's more deaf american tourists visit your country than any others then perhaps you can learn ASL.

Hi all,
Thank you so much Paotie, Bearbeautiful and Silentwolfdog for your pratical advice and information. I will search for those sign languages and websites.

Yes, I have realized that there is no such a single sign language as English to be used universally by different deaf communities. So we will focus on some most popular ones that most of our tourists would use such as ASL, AUSLAN, etc. generally English oriented.

Thanks again :ty:

Cheers

Thi

Hi,
Paotie, I checked aslpro.com and found its visual dictionary really cool!

My friends and I will learn ASL with it.

Thanks a lot for the tip again. :ty:

Cheers,
Thi

At this time, there is no universal sign language. Even in the US, the vast majority of people use what many in deaf culture call "code" - Signed Exact English (SEE) or other English-based systems. In fact, there is still much dispute over whether American Sign Language (ASL) is even a language or not.

Perhaps it depends on what you seek to accomplish. There are probably interactive CD's that a person can utilize; however, there are many more resources available on the Internet, which may be to your advantage. One website is ASLPRO.COM, and they do show signs and other things. Even though ASL and SEE share many of the same signs, the main difference is the grammatical and syntax formats - but in your case, relating to Vietnam, perhaps you can find a hybrid or something conducive to your native language and culture.

If you must have a CD or a book, go to Amazon.com and type, "Sign Language Guides" (or whatever you seek).

:wave:

Paotie

Actually, thanks to William Stokoe's work, and the continuing research into signed languages, ASL has been officially recognized as a language separate and complete from English. MCE (signed English, etc.) are often used in the educational setting by hearing educators of the deaf; however, the language used within Deaf culture for communication is ASL in both the U.S. and Canada. Coming from Vietnam, I would suggest perhaps looking at French sign language as a possibility. And the dispute over whether ASL is a language is finished. It is.

At this time, there is no universal sign language.

Well, there is Gestuno (the signing equivalent of Esperanto), but no one uses it much except for international Deaf conferences like Deaf Way.

In fact, there is still much dispute over whether American Sign Language (ASL) is even a language or not.

No, there really isn't. Linguists have come to a consensus that it is a language. There are still disputes as to whether it should be accepted as a foreign language for college and high school requirements and so forth, but jillio is right, there is no more real debate as to whether ASL is a language.

Thanks all.
Jillio, I was told that French sign language is the most used sign language in the world. An American linguistic professor told me that Vietnamese sign language and ASL have some similar signs as they were originally from French sign language. So I will look into the French sign language as well to see how I can combine FSL and ASL or whether I have to learn them separately.

Cheers,
Thi

Thanks all.
Jillio, I was told that French sign language is the most used sign language in the world. An American linguistic professor told me that Vietnamese sign language and ASL have some similar signs as they were originally from French sign language. So I will look into the French sign language as well to see how I can combine FSL and ASL or whether I have to learn them separately.

Cheers,
Thi

This is true. ASL did have as its foundation, a combination of French signing systems and American signing systems. And since certain areas of Vietnam speak French, I thought perhaps it would have an influence on the signing, as well. And I am under the same impression--that French sign is the most widely used.

Back