Places to live for Deaf ASL users

chelseautie82

Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had some good places to live for Deaf. I liked Austin, Tx but it's too hot for me there and I also need a city that has good public transit cause I can't drive (due to another disability). I'm in Chicago now but the community seems very small and mostly oral English based and I am not very oral. Besides areas around DC and Rochester anyone have any other ideas? I was thinking maybe NYC? They have great public transit and it may be big enough that I can find what I'm looking for. I'm also LGBT and very "work challenged". I would like to try to get off SS but I'm not sure if it's possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Check out for different events in areas of interest. Ask questions about those events. I would not pick a place just because there are a lot of deaf people there.

Yeah....the main thing I need is people I can communicate with they don't necessarily have to be Deaf but I won't be able to join in any interests if there is no ASL access. Interpreters are great for plays and things but when it comes to real socializing I have to have direct communication. That's my biggest issue.

MOD pls remove this thread.....it was put in wrong thread.

Last edited:
Greenbelt, Maryland

Back