Pittsburgh PA ASL Study Buddies

CC9920

Reaction score
Hi Y'all- Is there anyone in the (Bellevue) Pittsburgh area that would want to get together for face to face gatherings and practice ASL? I hope so! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! I live up near observatory hill on the north side, I'd love to get together and sign!

Hi Julietta-

I would love to practice sign with you! However, it would have to be in the evenings or on the weekends, if that is ok.Are you a student? What is your ASL level? I have learned ASL but its been awhile since I used it so I am a bit rusty! :(

Hi! I live right near Bellevue (in Sewickley). I'd love to have someone to study with! :) It's always refreshing to meet someone new interested in ASL and the d/Deaf community!

Hi dertyhoez,

That would be great! If you are ok with the evenings or weekends I am game. Just let me know! Are you in an interpreting program or just enjoy signing? Looking forward to meeting you. :)

Evenings or weekends sounds like a plan! We can work out the details so we know what works for who! I actually take classes in the Burgh for ASL. What about you? Do you just have a general interest in it or is it a career you wanna pursue? Oh and my name is Matt by the way. Nice to meet you! :)

Hey Matt,

Sorry for the delay in reply! My name is Carol. So why are you taking ASL classes if you don't mind me asking? Me? I just really like the language. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about ya just been busy! Do you have FB account or email so we can try and set up some practice meetings? Talk to you soon.
Me

I'm also looking for an ASL study buddy - I live in the Squirrel Hill/Greenfield area, but can travel a little. I've been interested in ASL for a long time, and recently started studying from DVDs and am now taking a first course. I'm learning alot, but I'm slower than I'd like to be at following someone when they finger-spell. So I'd like to get some practice in doing that, plus ASL in general.

Hi,

Yes, I would LOVE to practice with you! As I mentioned I can't drive due to my vision but if you are willing to come to Bellevue for week night practices or practice on a weekend I can get do it. Let me know what works for you and maybe we can arrange something. Its been a while since I signed but I'm sure with a little practice it will come back to me. :)

Hi!

If I'm coming across town, weekend early afternoons would be easiest for me.

Did you learn by taking classes somewhere? I've been going to WPSD.

Hi,

Weekends would be great. My husband would be able to get me wherever we agree to meet and he could watch the kids. :) I learned ASL by taking community college classes when I lived in Washington state.
Can you tell me about yourself? What made you want to learn ASL? I'll have to meesage you so we can provide each other with contact info.

Got your message and wrote back, but forgot to tell you what got me interested in ASL. First of all I think it's beautiful. I've always marveled when I see people using it, ever since I was a kid. Another mode of communication is kind of exciting too, not just another language but a manual one- I don't know, it just has a draw for me. There have also been times when I've come into contact with deaf people who sign and wished I could have been (1) easier for them to communicate with, or (2) more of a part of an interaction, depending on the situation.

Back