Pissed off.

Yeah.... i did same thing.. i kept bugging them... i told them i am deaf and using three way communications..... then if they keep on hanging up on me.. i called back and threatened them that i would report them to BBB... It worked...

I do the same thing too...one time I even drove over the the pizza place and bawled them out for making fun of me on the phone and hanging up on me when I wanted to order a :pissed: pizza!

Dang. Sorry to hear that. A few years ago, I was ordering two Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kits online for my VRS. I typed in my credit card numbers, but the site kept saying my card was not getting through for some reason. I tried to enter it 5 times until I gave up. I have tried to contact the site's customer service through TDD, but I kept waiting and waiting. I finally had to get my mom to call them for me, but the customer service clerk accused my mom of committing an identity theft. A clerk even threatened to call cops on us. Mom tried to explain civilly that I was deaf and everything. But she didn't believe her. Mom became so furious. She just bawled and hung up on her. heh!

Dang. Sorry to hear that. A few years ago, I was ordering two Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kits online for my VRS. I typed in my credit card numbers, but the site kept saying my card was not getting through for some reason. I tried to enter it 5 times until I gave up. I have tried to contact the site's customer service through TDD, but I kept waiting and waiting. I finally had to get my mom to call them for me, but the customer service clerk accused my mom of committing an identity theft. A clerk even threatened to call cops on us. Mom tried to explain civilly that I was deaf and everything. But she didn't believe her. Mom became so furious. She just bawled and hung up on her. heh!

:eek3:

We just moved into the area so I don't know places hours. I wanted to get one of those flavoured bottle sodas from starbucks, and the site didn't list their hours, so I called.

THK U DIALING
6233629288RINGING 1...
(F)
(INTRO CALL PLS HLD)
(EXPLAINING RELAY)
okay starbucks we don't accept relay calls thanks(CALLED PARTY HAS HUNG UP)

I JUST WANT TO KNOW THEIR HOURS. :(

</rant>

Oooooh. That would make me SO mad. :pissed:

I'd call Starbuck's corporate offices and demand that the PERSON AT THE STORE call you back (through relay of course) and give you a personal apology (and maybe some free coffee or soda :fingersx:).

I saw some folks in this thread say "I can sort of understand why a hearing person would do that, maybe they think it's a telemarketer". I'm a hearing person, and I CANNOT. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for that kind of ignorant stupid behavior. A telemarketer tries to sell you something, and usually starts out by asking you a bunch of questions. When a relay operator says "I'm translating this call for a deaf person, and here's how you converse... say 'go ahead'... say 'end call', and so on...", I think you would have to be an utter idiot to think that it was a telemarketer.

In a fair universe, the moron at that store who said "we don't take relay calls" would lose his hearing for about a month, and learn a little bit of sensitivity and maybe some remorse.

It's eye opening for me to learn about all these subtle examples of discrimination that deafies face every day. What's wrong with people?!

I can see how calling them back might be the fastest way to get through to people like this -- once they realize you're not going away, they're forced to deal with it like mature adults instead of ignorant babies. I'm just amazed that people are that stupid sometimes.

I do the same thing too...one time I even drove over the the pizza place and bawled them out for making fun of me on the phone and hanging up on me when I wanted to order a :pissed: pizza!

Ack! I'm just amazed at how stupid people can be!

:pissed:

Obviously those starbucks employers are considering the relay calls as spam. The bottom line is that they need to go back to customer service training class.

Next time when you make a call, tell the operator not to announce this is relay service etc etc and just ask for the hour. It happened to me few times so it does work when I asked her/him not say a word till she/he ask the question that I requested.

Good luck

That doesn't work... I tried that technique

Caller will asked, "Hello q"

Then caller said, "Is this relay q"

Then relay opr said, "wait, someone is typing. "

Caller said, "Well tell them to TYPE FASTER!!! No, don't relay that."

Caller sound annoying, "Look, I am not going to stand here and wait, this is taking too long, tell them to email me. I'm hanging up!"

Hello duh! It is not for TTY!!! If it is TTY, that is different story!

More and more using VIDEO PHONE!

It is for VIDEO RELAY!
I did it before and it worked. And you don't tell me it won't work!!! :ugh3:

That doesn't work... I tried that technique

Caller will asked, "Hello q"

Then caller said, "Is this relay q"

Then relay opr said, "wait, someone is typing. "

Caller said, "Well tell them to TYPE FASTER!!! No, don't relay that."

Caller sound annoying, "Look, I am not going to stand here and wait, this is taking too long, tell them to email me. I'm hanging up!"

Hello duh! It is not for TTY!!! If it is TTY, that is different story!

More and more using VIDEO PHONE!

It is for VIDEO RELAY!
I did it before and it worked. And you don't tell me it won't work!!! :ugh3:

So the interpreter speak while you sign... or interpreter has to wait til
you finish signing then speak to the caller?

I'm not alone! I called U-haul in KS in 8am through i711. The guy on other end of line picked up and he said "Who is this" then hung up. I kept calling and they ignored me (I instructed i711 operator to keep bugging till he picks up the phone just to give him hard time) After my 9th call. I gave up and tried call other U-haul place. They answer quickly and I asked qq's about tow wiring ect is all I'm asking for!! ( I really don't care if they call it harrassment. I can simply explain that I'm deaf and tried to call them and they're denying service!! period! It's a LAW for all business must provide service to all customer no matter what!!) It's nothing new!!

Did you know that I called Little Ceasar Pizza place back then and they hung up on me several times. I drove over to their place and I spoke with manager explaining that you answered and operator say "This is a relay call". He said "Yeah". I explained him how the system work and It's me calling trying to order pizza. He apologized me and afterward, when we wanted to order pizza. They answered promptly. I ordered pizza at his place after explaining about relay service. It's just educational matter LOL.

My suggestion. If you are ordering Starbuck, Pizza, Chinese ect locally. If they hung up on you. Go to their place and talk with the manager that you are the one trying to make a call to order food or drinks. If they are not familiar with Relay service, explain briefly how relay service work and just answer it and let the operator relay message. So next time you order something, you'll get better response. Tell them that you are making revenue from deaf customers!!!! so please cooperate!! LOL

Catty

Catty...

Hearing people have tough time on phone too... not just deaf people.

My mom asked for pizza and her 3 sideing and deliver man didn't give
her the correct order.

Then

When making flight reservation, my mom had to hold for almost an hour...
and then talk to machine, and repeat repeat repeat, and then put on hold...
and then live person answered.. then she asked for plane ticket price, the
live person put on hold..... for almost an hour.... and then CLICK (hangup on her)

My mom got so mad... and frustrated...

It's a LAW for all business must provide service to all customer no matter what!!
Catty

That statement is inncorrect.
It not a law that busniess must provide service to all customer in fact busniess have the right to refuse service if they wish to do so.

File a Title III complaint with your local small claims court and get yourself an easy $5,000 pacifier.

Richard

That statement is inncorrect.
It not a law that busniess must provide service to all customer in fact busniess have the right to refuse service if they wish to do so..

Yes, Business have RIGHT to refuse to provide service ONLY if customer KNOWN to return item for refunds too often or breaking things and refuse to pay for it, opening items while store forbid package openings or have disease which is communicable or have serious condition.. BUT does not say that they can ignore or refuse service to normal customer for no reason... They can get sued for refusal to provide service to NORMAL deaf or handicapped customers. This case easily win tho.. Business know that.. That's all I know. I know there is a law here in KS tho. They CANNOT discriminate their customers.

We had bank in KS got sued because they refused to provide loans to middle class black people becasue of race issue.. They're in deep trouble tho.

Catty

+1

Yup that would work. That does trick for me OR you can tell relay that he/she is your friend or family who s speaking for you.

I Dont blame hearing especially in business as they probably think relay s one of telemarketer.

That dosn't always work either, my girlfriend (hearing) had her toncils out and couldn't talk (for a couple of days) but had to call her insurance company. We tried to call with me speaking for her, but they (the insurance company) told us we couldn't do that. So we made a 2-line HCO call. worked great. IP relay to the rescue :)

I recently called them and they didn't hang up on me.

Back