Pimp'in your CI/HA

Paullys50

Reaction score
With my upcoming CI activation I've been thinking about how to possibly customize my CI. I have seen this new process called "dipping", where it involves a film with a pre-printed pattern which floats on top of water. You then dip a part down into the film through the water and pull it out. Presto you have a cool pattern on odd shaped parts.

DIYDipKits - process

It seems to be big with hunters for putting camo print's on their equipment.

Anyway, I am getting the Med-El system, so doing this to the battery covers is pretty risk free. I would not do it to the sound processor. However, the D-coil I think you could prep it just right and be at minimal risk of doing damage. There is a place locally that does this, I'd probably go consult them once I get the CI. Obviously I don't want to do damage! Med-El doesn't have much for water rating, but for other CI brands it might be less risky.

I would like the carbon fiber look on the D-coil, if you get a dark color you for your CI you could probably skip the base coat part of the process. If you have AB where you can clipped your accessories on you obviously are risk free!

I also thought about contacting a former college professor, they have classes were they teach thermo-forming. Basically a thin piece of plastic is heated then it can be molded to any shape via-vacuum system. So I could have a bunch of molds made to cover the D-coil then dip the protective molds.

Curious if anyone has ventured with something like this?

Another option would be the temporary nail polish strips you can buy pretty much everywhere--Walmart, Walgreens, etc. They are basically press and stick nail polish.

Another option would be the temporary nail polish strips you can buy pretty much everywhere--Walmart, Walgreens, etc. They are basically press and stick nail polish.

but you have to make sure they don't have to be removed by nail polish remover, that's bad bad bad.

This dipping thing though.....would that only work with waterproof processors? would it hurt it?

aside.....my daughter does her nails like this. she drops fingernail polish, different colors, into a cup of water, it floats on the top, and then she drags something through the colors to swirl them and make designs. Then she wraps her finger in tape, except her nail, and dips it in.

AIN"T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!!!

This dipping thing though.....would that only work with waterproof processors? would it hurt it?

I think it would be no problem on the AB Neptune. But processors with buttons, certainly not a good idea. But any snap-on type accessories I think it would be easy.

For the D-coil, the Med-El seems to be a solid-one piece unit (don't have mine yet), just not sure about removing the magnet, and if there are exposed seams. Now, the electrical connector for the cable would need to get sealed well, poster puddy or something..) to protect the connectors then some tape. If you are careful dipping you could keep the electrical connector out of the water to further minimize risk. So maybe only 95% of the D-coil gets covered, and the taped portion does not.

If the D-coil has a mic built in then you would need to tape that off too.

Using nail strips that need to be removed with nail polish remover will melt the plastic of CIs and HAs. I know someone who did their daughters N5 by mistake with the nail strips that have to use the remover and it was the worse mistake ever.

Why don't you use standard nail foils /stickers or something?

the Neptune would be easy as you can take the covers off and dip those. Just don't dip the controller!

I would suggest skinit.com but they do not have a contract with Mel-El to have customized skins for Med-El processors like Cochlear and AB do. Possibly you could still try using Skin-It and custom fit the skins to your processor.

Back