Pier 1 Imports Fires Cancer Patient After Surgery

CODAchild

Reaction score
Warwick, Rhode Island--

Tom St. Germain says he lost his job after telling his boss about emergency surgery.

Cancer diagonsis was stressful enough for a local Pier 1 Assistant Manager. But then he said he lost his job after telling his boss he underwent emergency surgery.

Tom St. Germain, 24, thought he had a hernia, so he scheduled a doctor's appointment for his next day off, July 21.

He went in for emergency surgery on July 22 to have a cancerous testicular tumor rermoved.

"You just don't expect that to happen," said St. Germain. "Cancer, it's like months and months of treatment, and you know, just not something you really look forward to."

St. Germain had been working at the Route 2 Bald Hill Pier 1 Imports as an assistant manager for nearly five months, with full benefits--on the fast track to managing his own store.

"I love my position at Pier One, I like the company," said St. Germain. "I just never expected this to happen at all."

St. Germain said the Bald Hill store manager, on behalf of the regional manager in North Attleboro, Mass.,fired him over the phone--effectively ending his medical coverage.

"She needed to terminate me because I wasn't eligible for a leave of absence for the short-term disablility. And the policy is after seven days of being absent from work that they have to terminate you," said St. Germain.

Since he was fired, for the better part of two weeks, St. Germain said he was getting the run around from Pier One. Then he called NBC 10 News and reporter R.J. Heim started making phone calls. Within hours, the president of human resources for Pier One Imports called St. Germain.

According to St. Germain, she apologized for what happened and said that an exception should have been made. She added that she would try to make things better for him. Pier One sent NBC 10 News an e-mail, in part, that said "...Pier One has a long history of fairly resolving employee matters. We do not talk publicly about these matters."

St. Germain shared an e-mail the president of the company sent him during his interview with NBC 10 News, saying they're looking into waiving his six-month eligibility requirement, looking for a solution without causing undue hardship and he should focus on his recovery. She also said that her thoughts are with him during this difficult time.

OT CODAchild, I know you're from Pawtucket RI.....are you active in the local Deaf community? Do you know James Healy ( an audi from Warwick RI.....he's done some SHHH related stuff and some token ASL stuff but is mostly AG Bell type) or Jessica Whitney? I was Jessica's next door neighbor when she lived in Wareham until my family moved in '87.

Something like that happened to my aunt. She had cancer and when she told her boss about it at first they were great. And then about two weeks into her leave of absence for major surgery & chemo, suddenly she was laid off. And she was the only one in the company laid off at the time. She still thinks it was because she got sick and I agree. I think it's terrible when this happens.

Julia

I hate to sound like ravensteve, but this is one of those times that I’m actually glad that there are lawyers in the world. I know a woman who was fired from K-Tel Records because she was taking Zoloft. She got a good lawyer and juiced them for $85,000 in an out of court settlement. Thankfully, this one didn’t have to go to litigation, but I’m glad that there exists a mechanism for dealing with people who think that they can harm other people for their own financial gain.

Ohhh similar thing that just happened to my deaf friend who lives in NC... she was having some kind of seizures..the drs were baffled and could not figure out what was causing her seizures...(drs think it may have to do with her CI...old CI leaks they think, they removed it last Sundday and will run more csans to see where seizures are coming from since they couldn't do MRI since she had the older version of CI)

my friend crashed her car into a tree because she was having one of her espiodes...eventually she got married like 2 weeks later and let her boss know at Panera Bread to know the progress with her wedding (way way ahead of time), seizures and emergency visits....

when she got back from her honeymoon like last week or was it two weeks ago, she called her boss to find the schedule for her to work since she just got home from honeymoon. her boss said I hope you had a great vacation and we have to let you go.. she got fired.........

she is one pissed off lady right now and is going thru EOE and may have to file a lawsuit.....I felt so bad for her going thru all kind of espidoes she has been put up with.....

damn what a colded-heart boss that is...however I think that guy need to focus on healing first but he really need that medical cover so hopefully that get resolved soon as much as he need...hey levonian, I agree with you about suit that need to be filed on GOOD reason.

deafdyke said:
OT CODAchild, I know you're from Pawtucket RI.....are you active in the local Deaf community? Do you know James Healy ( an audi from Warwick RI.....he's done some SHHH related stuff and some token ASL stuff but is mostly AG Bell type) or Jessica Whitney? I was Jessica's next door neighbor when she lived in Wareham until my family moved in '87.
:wave: Good morning, deafdyke!!!! I live in Cranston, R.I. I am active with the Deaf Community. I used to be a member of Providence Deaf Club, R.I. Deaf Club. I used to work at the R.I. School for the Deaf as a receptionist, and that is where I met James Healy. Very nice man, he did a lot of work with the Preschool area. Jessica Whitney sounds so familiar, I am not sure if I know her. I wonder if we ever met in the past? That would be so cool huh?

This woman could definitely stir the waters by filing a lawsuit. I think it'd be worth it. As for her boss - who is HIS supervisor? THIS person needs to be contacted, as well as the head of the corporation.

juliae said:
Something like that happened to my aunt. She had cancer and when she told her boss about it at first they were great. And then about two weeks into her leave of absence for major surgery & chemo, suddenly she was laid off. And she was the only one in the company laid off at the time. She still thinks it was because she got sick and I agree. I think it's terrible when this happens.

Julia
:( Oh Juliae, that is so awful. Your Aunt going through so much to recover from such a tragic illness, and having to worry about getting laid off too. That is so heartless. How is your Aunt doing now?

Levonian said:
I hate to sound like ravensteve, but this is one of those times that I’m actually glad that there are lawyers in the world. I know a woman who was fired from K-Tel Records because she was taking Zoloft. She got a good lawyer and juiced them for $85,000 in an out of court settlement. Thankfully, this one didn’t have to go to litigation, but I’m glad that there exists a mechanism for dealing with people who think that they can harm other people for their own financial gain.
:angel: No way Levonian could you every sound like Ravensteve, because you are making a good point. Years ago, people who worked good jobs, and became sick were irreplaceable, the company would do everything to help their employees. Today it's not that way at all. If you're seriously sick, the company just tosses you out like a piece of meat. It is a good thing that there are lawyers that can help these people, even if they can't get their job back, but at least compensation to these people who are so sick and at the same time give them their dignity back.

downing said:
Ohhh similar thing that just happened to my deaf friend who lives in NC... she was having some kind of seizures..the drs were baffled and could not figure out what was causing her seizures...(drs think it may have to do with her CI...old CI leaks they think, they removed it last Sundday and will run more csans to see where seizures are coming from since they couldn't do MRI since she had the older version of CI)

my friend crashed her car into a tree because she was having one of her espiodes...eventually she got married like 2 weeks later and let her boss know at Panera Bread to know the progress with her wedding (way way ahead of time), seizures and emergency visits....

when she got back from her honeymoon like last week or was it two weeks ago, she called her boss to find the schedule for her to work since she just got home from honeymoon. her boss said I hope you had a great vacation and we have to let you go.. she got fired.........

she is one pissed off lady right now and is going thru EOE and may have to file a lawsuit.....I felt so bad for her going thru all kind of espidoes she has been put up with.....
:-o Downing that is awful!!!! I always heard that Panera Bread is such a good company to work for, well I guess that theory is wrong. Your friend even went the distance and notified her boss ahead of time her wedding plans, her illness. She didn't hide the fact that she did have problems, which are beyond her control. Poor thing, going through such an exciting time in her life marriage and to come home and have such bad news thrown in her face. I hope she will be alright and finds another and better job, where people are more understanding to work for.

Shiva said:
damn what a colded-heart boss that is...however I think that guy need to focus on healing first but he really need that medical cover so hopefully that get resolved soon as much as he need...hey levonian, I agree with you about suit that need to be filed on GOOD reason.
:thumb: Shiva, I am glad that Channel 10 News got involved for this man. Right he needs to focus on his health and recovery, and again right, in order for him to focus, he does need his medical insurance. One would think that people can be compassionate about another person's illness, but, this Manager proved that wrong. You're right, it was a cold hearted thing to do.

Malfoyish said:
This woman could definitely stir the waters by filing a lawsuit. I think it'd be worth it. As for her boss - who is HIS supervisor? THIS person needs to be contacted, as well as the head of the corporation.
:) Right Malfoyish, the Manager had fired him, and I agree he should sue this company and wake them up to others who become ill beyond their control. Such a big chain of stores around the country, you would think they would be willing to help this man recover and be supportive. It's shocking to hear how cold these people can be, and wonder what they would do if it had been someone in their own family that had been fired for the same reason. How would they react. They should think twice.

It was a good thing that he made it.

This sort of reminds me of an article in the newspaper about some insurance companies that terminate patients who have a cancer for six months because the companies think that they won't survive anyway.

Back