Physical difficulties and ASL?

MushyCookies

Reaction score
I have a few friends that are missing certain parts like Arms, fingers and eye. This one particular friend that I have that goes by 'Kye' aka Stubbz.

He has only one hand and the fingers are partial. Half gone.. basically only the first section of the fingers are there. He has a cousin that is deaf so he was taught to fingerspell with what he has on his hand. I am amazed with how well and easy it is to understand him. But I am curious is there any way I can work around some signs that requires 2 hands. I am teaching him some asl but is struggling with some words. ;( he is a bigger guy so it is harder for him to form certain signs/letters like E.

Anybody with some experience with this type of things are welcome to share their experience or maybe you have some good ideas?

I have a few friends that are missing certain parts like Arms, fingers and eye. This one particular friend that I have that goes by 'Kye' aka Stubbz.

He has only one hand and the fingers are partial. Half gone.. basically only the first section of the fingers are there. He has a cousin that is deaf so he was taught to fingerspell with what he has on his hand. I am amazed with how well and easy it is to understand him. But I am curious is there any way I can work around some signs that requires 2 hands. I am teaching him some asl but is struggling with some words. ;( he is a bigger guy so it is harder for him to form certain signs/letters like E.

Anybody with some experience with this type of things are welcome to share their experience or maybe you have some good ideas?

I know a Deaf person who has one left hand and a partial right arm. She signs understandably.

I don't know enough sign to understand anybody right now, but other deafies seem to understand her just fine.

I've heard of one-handed signing because of the prevalence of iPhones. The iPhone has to be held with one hand, and the other hand signs. Maybe one question to ask is "How do people make themselves understood with one hand using the iPhones?"

I can understand him pretty good, i just find myself stuttering when i forget he only has one hand. Many of the signs can be signed with just one, but some certain ones are a bit confusing or hard to understand.

I was pretty tired when i wrote the thread, i could have phrased it all a bit better :P

Just wanting to see othher people's opinions.

I know a Deaf person who has one left hand and a partial right arm. She signs understandably.

I don't know enough sign to understand anybody right now, but other deafies seem to understand her just fine.

I've heard of one-handed signing because of the prevalence of iPhones. The iPhone has to be held with one hand, and the other hand signs. Maybe one question to ask is "How do people make themselves understood with one hand using the iPhones?"

Just a thought, after enough experience, even without a functional hand, most signs can be predicted based on what is already signed in the message? In some cases, fingerspelling may be necessary...

It seems to be working out, I looked at a website relating to this subject. I figured it out! Had to make a few small changes but, it works. :D thank you guys!

Back