Phonebloks...

I've seen that and it seems interesting. I wonder if there are any drawbacks.

its not released yet, its just prototype at this stage its just news

but i reckon its a good thingn more bs paying and selling the entire phone...

If they know the parts are likely to be superseded by better versions, and are also easily replaceable, what incentive is there to make them good quality? So what if the camera breaks, you can just unplug it and stick in a new one! Why make a battery to last a year, there'll be a new must-have battery that lasts longer in a month or two.

Just as much waste going into the landfill, just in smaller individual pieces.

what it is really is 'componentised' mobile phones, they did that years ago with stereo (and now best ones still do) itergreated is shiit....this is what they are trying to do...with this 'new concept' no, i disagree 'just another landfill in small pieces' that's actually good. mean s LESS waste..and yes batt tech changes faster than LCD tech...even better...KEEPING the mobile with you for 10 years with fewer changes is far more practical and better...impacts might be that...'slowly down demand' and economy im not so sure...i think its the right move in time in the right direction where everyone (just about) has a a mobile -- how many times you say im sick and dont have time to learn all over again...and i dont need the flashiest camera, everything else is great...another person will say the opposite...i want the best camera...and i need more power to do the editing...(as a carry-with-me pro camera/mobile/turn photoshopping application)...

but will all the same 'desktop' well mobile-top environment for navigating...

2 cents no wait, inflation considered. my 4 cents...

You misunderstand me. Just as much waste will be going to the landfill... you might keep your current phone for two-three years and then dispose of it in one piece. With those cheap, quickly changed components, you'll be throwing those out every few months so the end result is the same amount of material being disposed of but spread out across two-three years.

I want my phone to be small and robust. With all that space (and weight!) being taken up by the plug system for the modules and the locking mechanism, the phone is going to be bigger than it needs to be and how well will it cope with being banged around in your pocket?

My iPhone is one little, compact, well put-together unit because they don't have to worry about making any parts removable and so they can pack everything in really tightly and be creative with how everything is arranged inside so it all fits in together.

I understand the theory of what they're trying to do, but that's why phone manufacturers make more than one model of phone! Do you want a big Galaxy Note 2 or a little HTC or something with a full keyboard to type faster?

lol ok, feel free to have your opinion i dont want big mobiles, as it defeats the idea of pocketability, and i dont think mobiles are designed for looong conversations...that's just silly

Back